Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
first off.
im Brandun
this a ek9 for auto x. so hp goals realistically usable 250 or so.
this is what i have.

Fully built bottom end
75.5mm bore
JE pistons and rings
Eagle rods
ARP head studs
450cc injectors ( i believe black top dsm)
walbro 255
light weight fly.

now i need this car and turbo to start spooling at around 2k and max boost around 3k, max power around 6k and top out just before 7k.
currently have a Garrett 60 trim turbo .63 exhaust .60 compressor side and it spools WAY to slow for my needs so with that said im debating a 45 trim t3 or a 50 trim t3.

heres a "turbo calculator" input stuff
link to squirrels turbo calc
http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/index.php?version=4&target_peak_power=220&pr_ref=14&engine_disp=1.6&engine_disp_factor=0&target_af=12&bfsc=.46&max_ic_loss=1.7&rpm_redline=7000&rpm_peak_power=6000&rpm_max_boost=3300&rpm_min_boost=2000&vol_1=89&vol_2=93&vol_3=90&vol_4=87&vol_1=89&vol_2=93&vol_3=90&vol_4=87&intake_temp_1=100&intake_temp_2=140&intake_temp_3=140&intake_temp_4=160&turbo_n=1&map_sel0=26
target hp 220 to 240
afr 12:1 or so
.46 bsfc
1.7 psi ic drop
14. pressure ref.
45 trim

50 trim

and this is why i turbo lag
60 trim

i need to stay with the t3 style because this is a budget autox car and i already have everything for a t3 and i hate lag.
whats everyone idea or choice

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
14G from a DSM.

Dont fuck around and just do it.

Better yet, T25, even quicker boost. More torque. More fast.

If you can handle boost by 3000rpm, maybe a T28.

Look up the hill climb turbo car build on here. It will show you whats up.

Dont pick your turbo around your build. Build your build around your turbo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
both the gt25 and the gt28 would work but then i would have to change my turbo mani flange, dp, and add coolant lines.

and i kinda cant build the build around the turbo since i got it already built ( well sorta, i got it needing a block, but everything is all together now)
so like i said im kinda stuck with the t3 family.

i should also add this is a "full race" style turbo mani

when i can i plan to get a smaller inter cooler to run a actual filter on the turbo

funny thing is about rabids crx. is we live in the same state and i have done a hill climb with him. so ive seen his car first hand. it was awesome talking to him about how he has the supercharger cut off controlled by a rc servo, since the vacuum style wasnt working very well

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
No CRX's were talked about here.

Greg @ go-autoworks.com would be your best bet to get a good suggestion on a t3 framed turbo.

I think you are going to have a really hard time making considerable boost by 2000rpm on a t3 turbo. Your manifold is more of a drag racing style turbo manifold.

Also looks like your turbo is a t3/t4 not a t3.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Either swap manifolds or use an adapter plate and run a t25 turbo

I can see boost by 2k and if I upped the boost from 15psi to ~22psi I would be very close to 275hp, from my current 250hp
( running a T2560R )

That will give you that low end that you need in autoX

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
seems like everyone is siding with completely changing turbo style. so nobody believes that 2k start boost with a t3 45 trim turbo is possible for a 225 hp goal? like i said i would REALLY like to stay with the t3 t4 famliy since the manifold can use either.
i really dont want to get rid of the mani since it is a lovefab mani. one of very few made by lovefab that is a forward facing mani by what i have been told.
changing turbo styles will also add a bunch more cost
oil lines
coolant lines if applicable
downpipe
t3 to whatever adapter
and the new turbo.

thanks for the replies so far guys

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
seems like everyone is siding with completely changing turbo style. so nobody believes that 2k start boost with a t3 45 trim turbo is possible for a 225 hp goal? like i said i would REALLY like to stay with the t3 t4 famliy since the manifold can use either.
i really dont want to get rid of the mani since it is a lovefab mani. one of very few made by lovefab that is a forward facing mani by what i have been told.
changing turbo styles will also add a bunch more cost
oil lines
coolant lines if applicable
downpipe
t3 to whatever adapter
and the new turbo.

thanks for the replies so far guys
I see boost by 2.5k but that's with a cast manifold.
A smaller frame like t25/28 would help with that lower spool time. Also add a turbo blanket.
but I think your need to drop out of the t3 to hit boost by 2k.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
im running a DSM T25 with a HF manifold and I see a full 10 psi before i ever hit 3,000 rpm. im guessing it will spool faster once I change the exhaust and have the exhaust shop redo the downpipe. for some reason the guy that originaly made my downpipe used a flange that is less than 2" im guessing 1 7/8" .

the turbo is off a 98 eclipse and was never rebuilt. once I get the car back from the body shop ill be throwing in a TD05H-16G ...

·
Registered
419 Posts
I haven't done auto crossing too many times but the few times I did it you are in the top of 1st gear or you briefly shift into 2nd only to have to down shift a fews seconds later. Full boost at 3k = over rated.

·
Registered
382 Posts
EBay cast manifold
X2. Your manifold now is more for making power in the upper revs whereas a log style should spool faster and run out of puff sooner, in this case you want that. Get a log mani and baby turbo and be happy

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Run the smallest turbo you can that will net you your chosen goals. Big turbos are useless for autocross.

I had a nice little td04 turbo off of a volvo and it was fantastic for street/autox (and it had a T3 flange). I was only making 180whp/180wtq but I was seeing full boost by 3k easily. You might want something a little bigger than my little 13c ... I was looking at the 14b as well which I think would fit your goals very well.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
With the little T25 my car launches out of corners. The top end does feel a bit weak but it still pulls hard. I' m hoping that getting a better exhaust will help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so far i like the idea of a t25 but then i have to change to much.
i love everyones feed back so far
and i cant lie when i say budget build i mean cheaper than 80% of everyone on here with a turbo by about 3k. i got this 97 civic hatchback with all the turbo stuff just had a cracked block.
je 9.0:1 forged pistons eagle rods garret t3/t4 60 trim turbo, and all for dun dun dun
400 bucks. im in another 450 for machine work, misc and oil cooler and oil filter relocation kit. for this ek9 i plan to have no more than 4k including suspension, brakes, rollcage, and engine.
currently down at autox i race a 90 prelude, great autox car, but parts for it are WAY more than a civic. great example, rear upper ball joints for my prelude is non existant, honda had them 2 yrs ago but u had to buy them with uppercontrols arms for 350 a side. civics dont use rear upper ball joints just camber arms, so cost wise its WAY cheaper.
but down at autox, once i leave 1st i never see first again, almost all 2nd and ocasionally 3rd.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
This is all you need to change the turbo.

Also you could sell the manifold you have and probably have enough for a log or cast manifold ... which would spool said turbo much faster. You could probably sell the manifold and turbo and have enough to purchase the an HF manifold, adaptor plate and turbo ... and possibly a six pack to enjoy while you sit there admiring your work.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I can have the manifold and the down pipe flange change for less than $75, I don't see why you would rather see a 3k spool vs a 2k spool for less than $100 ( for just changing mani.'s to a smaller turbo)

( look on ebay, flanges are cheap! And most local exhaust shops won't charge much to weld on different flanges.)

And that's on a ebay special cast mani.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts