Honda D Series Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX Sedan
44 Posts
I love the build. Really clean hatch you got there. How did you find out the Skunk2 IM was a fake? I've always read, and skunk2 even says it themselves, that their intake manifolds aren't plug and play on the OBD2 D series motors and require some mods to work.

·
Registered
'99 Civic EK1
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I love the build. Really clean hatch you got there. How did you find out the Skunk2 IM was a fake? I've always read, and skunk2 even says it themselves, that their intake manifolds aren't plug and play on the OBD2 D series motors and require some mods to work.
It was easy to know, the seller told me and when it arrived the quality showed it.

·
Registered
'99 Civic EK1
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Gauge holder and gauges fitted, now I have to wyre

ECU ready to use thanks to a friend

Changed the radiator

Bought a D16 to make a vitara build

And started with the turbo fiting and measuring the pipes.

This one I will cut and weld to use less silicone hoses

I will need to make a custom pipe to link the compresor with the intercooler

And the oil radiator will fit on the A/C radiator mount

·
Registered
'99 Civic EK1
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well, I swaped the intake manifold easily. I installed hondata at the same time and solved the IACV 3 to 2 pin conversion easily. Also installed the oil radiator and the oil feed for the turbo.

All gauges are working. The boost gauge is useless at this moment but it was the time to wire the Innovete dual oil pres/temp, so I take a step to wire the Greddy one also.

I painted the wipers and window-dont-know-name-in-english because they were all silver

The chinese 2din died in only 2 months of use, so I bought another and I dont know why the hondata app doesnt run in this one

The pipes are cut and done. I need to make some welds (the Ktuned IAT sensor adapter and the BOV adapter). I was lucky that the turbo side pipe was easy. 90 degre silicone hose- 45 degre pipe-135 degre silicone hose.

And bended the pipes with these home made tool

Now I have to drill the oil pan and make a downpipe. Almost ready to boost.

·
Registered
'99 Civic EK1
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Well, this is shit. Car has been stoped for a month because when I go faster than 80 mph, starts to shake a lot.

I tested with other rims and tyres but nothing. Sent to check driveshafts in a shop but "they didnt saw nothing". Steering ok, bearings no noise or slack. Finally swaped the gearbox and still same problem. I'm starting to think the inside homokinetic of the driveshafts are like shit... but I dont find others to check, dont want to buy new ones and waste if that wasnt the problem.

Also, I aligned the car in november and after 1200 miles the tyres are destroyed from the inside... and the shop says its fault of the shake... crazy, because I avoid to drive over that speed since I found the problem.

I hope to find some driveshafts but since that, car will be waiting. I'm spending my time fixing some little problems in my daily car ('98 Civic MB3 fastback) and making some mods to it (spoiler alert: bought coils and planing to swap the s40 long ratio to another shorter I have)...

Maybe I should open a thread to that car too.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,777 Posts
not sure if you have autozones there, but you can buy them and bring them back within like 30 days if it doesn't solve the problem.

Reactions: drtalon123

·
Registered
'99 Civic EK1
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
not sure if you have autozones there, but you can buy them and bring them back within like 30 days if it doesn't solve the problem.
Nothing like that here. Old car parts in Spain are expensive as hell. It's cheaper to buy this from Holland than some spare parts in a warehouse.

·
Registered
'99 Civic EK1
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
It has been a shitty period because in Spain we cant move from the province since October and all friends can help me live to 50 miles from my place but can get a fine if they get catch moving.

Tomorrow I'm going to take a pair of driveshafts from a friends and check if the shake ends. In that case, next will be make the downpipe, add bolt ons and ECU.

Todays work: Changed the shifter. Now it feels really cool, gears engage real short and the hardware that comes to bolt it helps a lot to reduce the slack not like the previous chinese shifter

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
If you want to check your own cv axles, have a friend with you, put the car on jackstands high enough tog et under the car, tell him/her to put it into gear (engine off of course) and hold the brakes.

Now grab teh shaft of the cv axle, and attempt to spin it both directions.

If it has a lot of play, figure out which joint it is. Now check the other side the same way.

If they both feel pretty snug with only minor play, you got something else going on potentially.

These cars do get squirrely and shaky under heavy braking and acceleration if the rear big bushings of the front lower arms go bad. SPhericals are a great replacement in this circumstance, and considering you are in Spain, they might even be very close in price to new rubber bushings

·
Registered
'99 Civic EK1
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
If you want to check your own cv axles, have a friend with you, put the car on jackstands high enough tog et under the car, tell him/her to put it into gear (engine off of course) and hold the brakes.

Now grab teh shaft of the cv axle, and attempt to spin it both directions.

If it has a lot of play, figure out which joint it is. Now check the other side the same way.

If they both feel pretty snug with only minor play, you got something else going on potentially.

These cars do get squirrely and shaky under heavy braking and acceleration if the rear big bushings of the front lower arms go bad. SPhericals are a great replacement in this circumstance, and considering you are in Spain, they might even be very close in price to new rubber bushings
I will check again the cv axles, as you said just in case.

I will also check the bushings but its strange, the shake starts arroud 80mph it doesnt matter if its doing a pull or on cruise speed, under that car goes perfect.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
things get a harmonic to them.

generally though, at 80+mph, Id almost target tire balance first, but that is just me. Not all shops balance a wheel/tire to 0.00 ounces like I do. Especially when 99% of your customers wont know about an imbalance that shows it self at above highway speeds.

·
Registered
'99 Civic EK1
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
things get a harmonic to them.

generally though, at 80+mph, Id almost target tire balance first, but that is just me. Not all shops balance a wheel/tire to 0.00 ounces like I do. Especially when 99% of your customers wont know about an imbalance that shows it self at above highway speeds.
First thing I thought was the balance, but when I swaped wheels with the MB3, I reached 90mph without shake.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
so the speed changed as well. I dont think you can really use that as a direct comparison, as perhaps the other wheels are simply better balanced?

If the speed (80mph) was the same with the other wheels, then you could say something is up.

Im leaning heavily on tire balance being the cause and effect.

·
Registered
'99 Civic EK1
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I explained my self bad.
I put the wheels of the EK1 on the MB3 to test. I have DC2 brakes on EK, and cant test the 14" wheels of the MB3, so I only drove the MB3, not the EK1. But weeks ago I testd with a friends wheels and the shake was identical

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
That was a good way to verify.

well, tie rods, balljoints, wheel bearings, and all the bushings should be checked for wiggle

21 - 40 of 54 Posts