Honda D Series Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
98 Civic Si
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Morty has been dropped a bit and I am really happy with how this car rides and handles. So much better. Now I am starting to see why so many people praise these cars when it comes to handling, I like to have fun with my friend in his 2017 Subaru Impreza. Sure, he is WAY faster, but he can't crank it around the corners like I can. I am more focused on handling over power, I would rather have a slow car that can turn a corner quick, over a quick car that can't corner for shit. Personal preference. Now I just need to make the civic the best of both worlds.. Car that can corner quick and still be quick in a straight.

Since my possible project car is no longer in the works, I am back to full focus on the Civic and researching into doing a D16z6 boost build.

Need to get better photos, but how it sits. It has a settled a bit more since these photos were taken. The ride is really nice.

·
Registered
98 Civic Si
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Morty has received some more TLC this week, waterpump and timing belt, cam seal and crank seal, accessory belts, knock sensor, alternator with a rad flush, tranny top up and fresh oil change. I have done a lot on this car so far this year in regards to maintenance but I don't like leaving weird noises alone. I have dealt with a dead alternator in the past and you just know that sound... did a diagnostic on it and it was pooched.

I received my eye lids, they actually look better than I thought. Was going to wrap them and try and match the red with the car but it's just so many different shades of red so I left them black, and they blend in with the headlights really well, very subtle so I left it.

Ordered a go autoworks CAI to replace the good ol' whale D, may swap it back in during the winter, we shall see.

That's about it so far.

·
Registered
98 Civic Si
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
So, I had my timing belt, water pump and such done this week by a supposed reputable shop in my area... I have a hard time trusting shops because it never usually goes well for me and this experience didn't turn out any better. I am kicking myself for being lazy and I really should have just done it myself. Anyways this is what happened...

Took the car in - Shop messages me at the end of their work day and says, " Car is done. You can come get it.." Cool. So I go to the shop and the mechanic at the front desk says, " Is your car slow? Even driving it downhill.. it was really slow. So we played with the distributor to see if we could get more power out of it... " and right there, raised a red flag for me. They shouldn't have touched the distributor. It was at base timing when I brought it in, if they needed to play with the timing on the disty, wouldn't that alert you that maybe the job wasn't done correctly?

So they close up and I leave, wow.. was it ever bad. It was completely gutless, hesitation, bogging out, almost stalling. So I turned around, and dropped it back at the shop. Everyone had left, so I sent him a message and told him the situation... I don't know how they didn't feel that on the test drive, it was obvious something wasn't right. So he says, " Ok we better take a look at it..." .. Next day - I get a message after a few hours and he says, " Oops. We didn't line the timing marks up right. It's okay now.. " so I go back, talk to them and he says, " Yeah, sorry. It was off two teeth.." Two teeth? Really? Jesus. - So I left, and yes, it drives MUCH better. So I get it home, and decide.. I should probably take a good look at it.

Pop the hood and i notice my 2nd spark plug wire isn't pushed all the way in, my valve cover is leaking, I have a connector unplugged between my power steering res. and cruise control. It's a blue wire with an orange/brown plug, very short coming from the harness, so it has to go somewhere close in that area.. I am looking into what that could be. My drivers side headlight wiring is damaged, and so it doesn't work. I have a wicked rattling sound coming from my dash that I now can't find, the car vibrates like hell and I have a odd noise now coming from the engine area in 1st gear and upon acceleration.

Took it for a little run on the highway, anything between 100-120km/h, it shakes/vibrates like crazy. So maybe I lost a wheel weight, as a coincidence. I don't know. Either way, I am frustrated. They didn't re adjust my distributor either, so I am thinking I should acquire a timing light and check that out and bring it back to base timing... I believe the d16y8's are 12 degrees.

What do you guys think? Is it possible from it being two teeth off, I may have some valve damage? I'm really hoping that is not the case. The valve lash was adjusted as well. I drove 67kms since it's been out of the shop, and it's not looking like the gas milage is going to be great... it's already dropped from full to 3/4th.. ish and not driving it hard at all.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,285 Posts
wow ,this is why I dislike todays parts changers,,even the most basic concept slips through their fingers.

make sure timing marks are correct set dizzy and you might even have to check their valve lashing ,I can picture the stupid people trying to change the belt,,I bet they even jacked on the oil pan when they took off the mount,,good thing its not steel...

·
Registered
98 Civic Si
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
wow ,this is why I dislike todays parts changers,,even the most basic concept slips through their fingers.

make sure timing marks are correct set dizzy and you might even have to check their valve lashing ,I can picture the stupid people trying to change the belt,,I bet they even jacked on the oil pan when they took off the mount,,good thing its not steel...
I went ahead and borrowed a borascope to see if their was any evidence of contact but it looks pretty good in there, took it apart and reset the timing, and double checked the valve lash, a few were way too tight but I think I caught it all before any damage was done. It was terrifying taking out my spark plugs, they were in there SO tight. Each one felt like that moment where you think you're in the clear removing a bolt and then it snaps... Although that didn't happen and I replaced them with new ones, and not over tightened as well with a nice coating of anti-seize.

They also left a sticker on my windshield with my next due date for an oil change and it read 340,885... yet my odometer clearly states 385,885 at the time of pick up. I never asked them to do an oil change either, so it has god knows what cheap shit oil in it and some Purezone Filter, which I have never heard of before... Oi. Never again.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts