Honda D Series Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
98 Civic Si
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Update:

- Bought a timing belt/waterpump kit with new belts, etc. elsewhere on the motor.
- Fixed the wheel bearing, $60 done at a shop to take the old one out and press in the new. Put everything back together myself.

- Have a new noise since the bearing fix, I think a lower ball joint is about done. I may have damaged it putting it all back together. Oops.

- Clutch fluid hasn't leaked at all since I topped it up last, which is nice BUT I am still having some intermittent issues with 1st and 2nd. I've been having to double clutch to get it in gear, especially when it's cold. Once it warms up, it's intermittently a problem. That just started yesterday after the car sat for 4 days, it's not that cold outside, it's been much colder already this season so I am not sure wtf. I am going to look into it though. The clutch pedal seems like it "kicks back/slaps back" once I have taken my foot off of it completely, if that makes sense?

- Replaced the fuse for my dome light.. I was surprised what was affected when that wasn't working. Intermittent wiper function started working? Is that odd or normal? lol. OBD Port works again, turns out I have a Engine Coolant Temp. code so going to look into that as well, check electrical, etc.

Everything has to happen to me in the cold. Why can't shit like this happen in the warm weather... I don't have a garage to use, it's occupied with a 81 Chevy Cab resto project.. :p Wah wah wahhhh right? hahaha.

Aside from that, cars been great :)

Hope everyone has a great Christmas!

·
Registered
98 Civic Si
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I guess I should try and keep this a bit more updated :p Life gets hellish relish sometimes.

So I purchased a new clutch master and swapped it out, fixed the problem I was having which was great. I had the same symptoms with my old car and so I was pretty confident I knew what the problem was, I checked underneath the clutch pedal and it was indeed leaking. Shifts so much nicer now too. Glad to have that done :)

My exhaust is pretty much on it's way out. That will be next to get fixed. I purchased a 1320 UEL Header for it. A friend of mine gave me a yonaka muffler and the piece that connects after the mid pipe so I figured I may as well just buy the rest of the exhaust and have a full cat back.

The only issue I am having is finding the proper oxygen sensors for it. I have upstream and downstream, 4 wire sensors. I was looking on rockauto for the replacements based on the motor (1.5) but it only shows the upstream.. and no downstream. So, I am still doing some research on this but a friend of mine said I can just use the o2 sensors made for my model year, as long as they are 4 wire, the harness should be original to the car and the connections should work? I don't really want to buy universal stuff and have to get it wired in.

Picking up a Mishimoto aluminum 1/2 rad and will get all new rad hoses, thermostat, make it all fresh.

Things are coming together for this little car. I was "meh" about it before but since driving it more often, I am starting to really like the car, especially in the snow.. I don't know why people hate on Honda's so much. Despite it's little issues here and there, it's been fantastic. Extremely reliable, great on gas, fun as hell to drive and cheap to maintain/mod... What else could people really want? I am a simple lady. :)

Will be looking into coilovers in the next month or so, not too sure who I am going with yet.

Thanks again to everyone for your advice and help. :)

·
Registered
98 Civic Si
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Had the 1320 UEL Header and Yonaka Cat back installed on Monday morning. I absolutely love the sound. It's such a nice sound and quiet unless I harp on it. The old exhaust was rattling pretty badly and had exhaust leaks out the wazoo.

Was able to take a really good look at the underbody of the car while it was on the hoist. It's in very good shape, I am very happy to see. The brake lines I will pay attention too, they have been redone at some point but cheaped out and so they have some surface rust but that's okay for now.

Tie rods are in pretty bad shape but I have replacements already, just need some warmer weather and a less flooded driveway and I'll get those changed.

Decided on 205/50/16 Yokohama S-Drives and I still think I am going with Yonaka Coilovers. My friend suggested Racelands but they're pretty inexpensive and that kind of worries me a little bit. $400 for a brand I've heard mixed reviews about or $700ish for a brand I ran on my previous car for 7yrs with no issues. Sounds like an easy choice but this is just a daily, my old car I ran on the track so I was pickier about suspension.

Any suggestions? I like having the height adjusting capabilites. Air ride would be nice, but not in the budget.

My friend who recorded me leaving, He drives a 2011 Subaru Legacy and he was so baffled by the sound. I'll upload a vid once I figure out how.

My next step with this car is doing some more everyday TLC and figuring out why I have two dipsticks.. what's up with that?

·
Registered
98 Civic Si
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Manual Honda's don't have dipsticks... correct?

So for some reason this is bothering me but from any googling that I have done, I am starting to think I have a z6 bottom end, and a d15b top end and this is why I have two dipsticks? Or am I way off? Can someone educate me on this..?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,463 Posts

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,285 Posts
thats funny as hell ,whoever played with your bottom last installed a y oil pump ..and then dips both his sticks in there ,,

there is a stamp on the block whats it say...?

·
Registered
98 Civic Si
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
thats funny as hell ,whoever played with your bottom last installed a y oil pump ..and then dips both his sticks in there ,,

there is a stamp on the block whats it say...?
Stamp says D15B.

·
Registered
98 Civic Si
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Update:

- Finally got around to replacing the inner and outer tie rods (They were worse than I thought), Upper control arms w/ ball joints and lower ball joints. I desperately need an alignment, but I am happy that is done with. It all came apart pretty easily except for one of the outer tie rods was seized but I managed to squeeze my wee female fingers in there to pull the inner & outer as one piece. I read that the way most people do it is to pull the entire steering rack out? That seemed like un-necessary labor.

- Replaced my fuel & temp gauge with oem Honda ones, it's nice to know how much fuel I actually have instead of guessing all the time.

- Installed a white LED ebay kit for my gauge cluster, it looks really nice. Much better than what was in there from factory.

- Went super cheesy and installed a crown royal shift boot. I like it :p

Next step is ordering another CV axle for the passenger side, front sway links and maybe the control arms, just get the entire front end done. Rear drums need some attention, I know the bushings in the trailing arms are pooched. Not sure if I am going to replace with OEM bushings or go with something aftermarket at this point...

That's about it for now...

I think I am going to buy another engine and learn about these motors a bit more (staying with a D Series engine of course). I would really like to have boost, but it would need to be reliable enough to remain my year round daily but even if that route isn't an option, Being able to tear into a D Motor will be a great learning experience.

·
Registered
98 Civic Si
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I finally got the lower ball joint on the drivers side done, holy seized batman. The axle nut wouldn't come off, I thought I tried everything but my friend had this massive impact gun and it worked, figured that would be hardest part... nope. CV axle wouldn't come out of the hub, we spent a good 10 minutes or so with heat, rubber mallets, etc. Hoping I didn't damage the wheel bearing, I don't think I did but I will have to see over time I guess. Either way, it's done and I feel much better about it.. especially seeing how bad it was.

Installed the short throw finally, took some practice.. so used to over exaggerating to get it into gear because of how loose it was, I think i've got it figured out now. Only stalled it twice :p LOL.

Grabbed some cosmetic accessories from Sickspeed, just to clean up the engine bay a little bit. Nothing fancy.

Here is a before and after.. Top photo is when I bought it, so May 2018 and now.

Coming along.

I have two weeks vacation coming up, so I will attacking the bit of quarter panel rust that the car has, overhauling the rear drums.

My side moldings and the factory side skirts are black, faded though. I am unsure if I want to colour match them or just give them a refresher.

What would you guys do?

·
Registered
98 Civic Si
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Okay so here comes a big update :p

- Did body work like I mentioned I was going to do and of course found some nasty surprises. It has been fixed for the time being but I fully expect it to come back sooner than later and I am looking into cutting out the crap and welding in patch panels, it'll be the only way for a long term solution I think.

The passenger side wasn't toon bad, just had a few little spots so it wasn't too hard to fix.

Found this nice little surprise in the trunk...

Nothing professional but hope the fix holds and the bed liner I sprayed helps.

Yikes. The amount of bondo I sanded off was unbelievable. The sheet metal underneath that was left was dented pretty badly so I am not sure what happened with this car in it's past life.. Unreported accident I am guessing. Either way, I tried to fix it the best I could without adding the same amount of bondo that I took off. I decided to go the fiberglass route. This side will definitely be getting a patch panel asap.

Not great but not as bad as it was :p

..and how it looked after i painted it.. with mismatched paint because that's usually the way things go. Not that concerned to be honest. It still needs more body work so as long as everything is covered up, I'm happy.

The bumper turned out the best :p

Other news..
Had the thermostat take a dump on me, was my first tow home with this car but it was fixed next day. Did all the rad hoses at the same time, might as well. Changed the valve cover gasket last weekend, can't believe how fast I was able to get it done. Not used to not having to take half a motor apart just to change something.

I did one last shoot with it before i swapped over to the winter wheels..

Still rather enjoy this car... Definitely going to lower it next year though, can't handle this stock suspension any longer.

That's about it for now.

·
Registered
98 Civic Si
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Well, Morty made it through yet another Canadian winter aka Salt season. I do have a little bit of bubbling where I did the repairs last summer, but I expected that to happen. It's not too bad though. Still plan on cutting it all out and replacing with patch panels when possible.

May seems to be the month where I go crazy with maintenance and repairs, I have a ton of parts that I will be installing over the next few weeks. Due to COVID-19, I am off work so I am taking this down time to fix absolutely everything major on the Civic. Best way to make use of a crappy situation imo.

• New front wheel bearings (Drivers side lasted maybe a year since last repair, although did it myself so I probably messed up somewhere. Getting a shop to press out and press in the new ones this time)
  • New CV Axles
  • Replace rear drum brakes (Terrible, terrible noises)
  • Replacing the suspension finally with some Yonaka Coilovers
  • Blox Rear Camber Kit
  • CTR Front Lip wrapped in VViVid Gloss Red
  • Blox Res. Covers
  • Removing the old tint (What a pain in the ass this has turned out to be, which I never started and just let a shop do it)
but I have a pre cut tint kit that I wanted to install myself, and watched a bunch of videos online about how to go removing original tint. They made it look easier than it is.. This tint is extremely stubborn and just keeps coming off one thin layer at a time.

Things I have already done:
  • Upgraded the sound system with Cerwin Vega door speakers, tweeters and rear deck speakers. Found a ported dual 12" box in the garage, cleaned it up and broke out my other Kaption SPL1200 to put into the car. Bought a Rockville db45 3200w amp to power everything and glad I did. Has a nice punch to it.
  • Installed BH Projector headlights with 6K HIDs. I am so happy to have HIDs and projectors again. Missed them,
My exhaust sound still turns heads but I am starting to notice it is becoming a bit raspy, which I can't stand.. so I think I am going to ditch the 2.5" piping and run a 2.25" pipe instead, and pop on a Venom 250 Muffler with a rather large resonator, hopefully quiet it down a bit and kill that rasp.

I bought another car that is going to be my summer/turbo toy. I am keeping my civic, it is just going to be my epic little D series daily. It has been a great car and I love how cheap it is to modify and maintain.

I shall update with photos when I have Morty all fixed up, lowered and in summer mode.

Hope everyone is staying safe from COVID-19.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hard to mess up a wheel bearing install. I did notice that there is a side with rubber and an all metal side when installing mine. The side with rubber goes towards the back of the knuckle. Guessing is that its the most likely area for water to get in, so it seals up that part. What probably happened is you got a chinese wheel bearing. Next time go with SKF (Swedish) or Timken (Japanese), they are top quality. Expect to pay around 50 dollars per bearing. They will last though.

·
Registered
98 Civic Si
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hard to mess up a wheel bearing install. I did notice that there is a side with rubber and an all metal side when installing mine. The side with rubber goes towards the back of the knuckle. Guessing is that its the most likely area for water to get in, so it seals up that part. What probably happened is you got a chinese wheel bearing. Next time go with SKF (Swedish) or Timken (Japanese), they are top quality. Expect to pay around 50 dollars per bearing. They will last though.
I don't think I pressed it in straight, maybe I damaged it a bit when I put it in, but yeah it was a chinese bearing. I did order SKF bearings this time, and I am getting a shop to press these ones in so hopefully they last a while. I don't want to have to do bearings every few months. A friend said that civics are hard on bearings, but probably because of like you said, people using cheap bearings.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am learning as I go also. I pressed in my bearings also. One of them split when pressing in the hub because I didn't have anything holding the back end of the bearing. I was able to press it back in place. Hoping I didn't kill it, gonna run it until it dies.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
759 Posts
I'm a China bearing user over here. Bearings AND new hubs, front and back were $70 lmao.

No expectations with them, but once I actually make it to the track with this car, we'll see how they like to take corners... quality honestly didn't seem "too bad" when I got em. Pressed mine in straight.... giggity :)

Usually you can tell right away when something is of questionable quality, these didn't scream "you will die if you install me and drive 30 feet".

Of course, the length of time something from China lasts between folks varies so in incredibly much....

·
Registered
98 Civic Si
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
what car did you buy for the turbo toy?
I was working on getting my hands on a 2nd gen. Mazda MX-6. I had one for quite a long time but had to scrap it due to frame rot, it's been about 4yrs now since I got rid of it and miss it quite a bit. Friend of mine has his in storage and was going to sell it to me to finish it up but that deal seems to have fallen apart so I am just going to focus on the Civic for now and have fun with it.

I am learning as I go also. I pressed in my bearings also. One of them split when pressing in the hub because I didn't have anything holding the back end of the bearing. I was able to press it back in place. Hoping I didn't kill it, gonna run it until it dies.
Have to make mistakes sometimes to learn! Hopefully not severe ones, but hopefully it lasts a while for ya before it takes a dump.

I'm a China bearing user over here. Bearings AND new hubs, front and back were $70 lmao.

No expectations with them, but once I actually make it to the track with this car, we'll see how they like to take corners... quality honestly didn't seem "too bad" when I got em. Pressed mine in straight.... giggity :)

Usually you can tell right away when something is of questionable quality, these didn't scream "you will die if you install me and drive 30 feet".

Of course, the length of time something from China lasts between folks varies so in incredibly much....
Sometimes cheap stuff lasts. I try not to go that route, but i always try and replace it with something better quality if possible.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts