Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
EK9, EK4, Aerodeck
0 Posts
Hello; after planning on buying a Civic hatch with a 1.4 litre engine for a while I finally found one for a couple hundred of euros which I think would be fit for what I need it to do. I need to keep the displacement at 1.4 so that I wouldn't have to race against Civics with B-series engines which always mopped the floor with me when I raced against them with my D15 EK3 sedan.

So I got this EJ9 and I'm looking to do some upgrades.. I want to gut the interior, put a roll cage in it, get better suspension and do some engine mods. I've been to dodoupgrades already and I read a whole lot of other articles on D-series upgrades too but so I have an idea of what to do but what I need are detailed instructions on what parts I need to get to do these modifications because I can already see myself going back and forward from junkyards and back because "I should have known to get that part too, duhh"

I want it have an open air intake, a 4-2-1 header, a larger exhaust, D16Z6 intake manifold, D16Y8 VTEC head, D16Z6 VTEC cam 240cc injectors, a shorter transmission and then who knows what else. My biggest question is-- does it matter in what order I would do these modifications ? Can I have one without the other ?

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this but I really want to go for it

Please do tell me if you have the time :) I appreciate any other tips you might give me! Thank you so much

I know, okay ? I know the "rising sun" looks horrible on the car but I bought her like that. I literally brought her home a couple of hours ago. Took a while to find a good EJ9 for under 1000 euros.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
505 Posts
You're on the right track keeping things as light as possible.

It's a common swap here to use the gearset out of a DOHC ZC (which has a short gearset, long final) and the final drive out of a d15 ED hatch (long gearset short final) to create a short ratio trans.

If you use the DOHC ZC case you can run the thicker shafts and the mid shaft which will really reduce your torque steer. You'll probably need to drill the holes into the d14 block to be able to bolt the mid shaft in place, though usually the casting is in the correct spot, just needs the holes drilled in. I wouldn't be surprised if the d14 trans has similar ratios to the old d15's.

·
Registered
EK9, EK4, Aerodeck
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad to hear that I'm on the right track with my ideas :)

also, bump. More replies please

1 - 3 of 3 Posts