Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, been working on my EJ6 and have encountered a problem. Basically, my LCA bolt is jammed at the subframe, however, I'm trying to understand something. There seems to be some sort of bushing between the nut (and whatever piece it's welded to) and the subframe itself.. Anybody willing to explain if I can change it, what it's called? I've tried looking through the FSM and parts catalog but I can't seem to come up with anything. Got one of these ~bushings~ pretty much junk and if I'm to heat up that nut (too late) it'll just get wrecked. Looking on my other side it seemed pretty well held on, unless it's just with time.

I appreciate any info you guys/gals have to bring! I'll try to get a picture when it's light out.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,947 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
I think that nut is welded to the sub frame. If it's the one I'm thinking about. Never had any problems disconnecting the LCAs from the sub frame. I also have a De Walt heavy duty cordless impact gun ... so there's that. But I'm pretty sure I changed the LCAs once without it.

Why would you want to "unweld" the nut?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pics so we know what youre talking about?
Ht

also, google is a helpful tool. maybe give it a try?

https://imclumzy.wordpress.com/2009/08/09/diy-honda-civic-ek-rear-suspension-install/

jinkies, look what I found^
Just because I don't have many posts doesn't mean I can't search, I assure you. However, searching something you can't quite put a name to isn't always so easy, hence the thread.

That blog post doesn't talk about the bushing I'm speaking of tho, nor show it all that well. I'll try and find pics or take some after work.

I think that nut is welded to the sub frame. If it's the one I'm thinking about. Never had any problems disconnecting the LCAs from the sub frame. I also have a De Walt heavy duty cordless impact gun ... so there's that. But I'm pretty sure I changed the LCAs once without it.

Why would you want to "unweld" the nut?
The nut isn't really what I'm asking about, and I sure as hell don't want to "unweld" it. I've got one of those cordless impacts and it won't budge, although I try not to hit it too hard and break it right off inside. I'll be giving her heat to help things out, or at least, once I can get info about this bushing :$

Post a pic.

I have had the front lca nut that is welded to the frame, pop the weld and spun freely.
Had to cut into the subframe to put a wrench to hold it.
This is probably your solution. Had to do this with my front tow hooks and rear UCA
See my response above. Nut is not what I'm worrying about but the sorta bushing behind it.

Subframe seems to be made with three "layers", between which there are components. nut | unknown bushing | LCA | bolt head. It's said unknown bushing I'm trying to (a) identify, (b) find a replacement and (c) find out how to replace. Heat applied to the nut melts that bushing, which is what has me screwed right now.

·
3,947 Posts
never said you couldn't search, I asked for a pic, like I dunno, google the location, find the area youre talking about and circle it. don't get your panties in a wad, I left the ponies out

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
never said you couldn't search, I asked for a pic, like I dunno, google the location, find the area youre talking about and circle it. don't get your panties in a wad, I left the ponies out
Well now I've got the next best thing, a pic off my own ride. Hopefully it'll help us find out whatever the hell it does. o_O

ok post a picture.

If you talking about what i think.
then it will be a rubber protector. It stops water from getting in there and rusting everything in place.

But as said a photo is worth a million words.

Not sure it could really do much as a protector and I doubt they'd use as much material instead of just a thin boot for the same purpose. Upon inspection it seems as though the plate onto which the nut is welded is separate from the subframe itself. Unless it's welded on the back of the plate, but having seen it shift on the heated bushing, it probably isn't. I'm starting to wonder if the rubber's jod is to put tension on the bolt for whatever reason. Why they'd only do this at the subframe and nowhere else is beyond me.

My hope is that I can buy this off of Honda if I can happen to get a part number... Looking through online retailers has yet to yield any results. I'll keep looking tho..

ImageUploadedByAG Free1434560208.834132.jpg

To the right lies our (unharmed) bushing. Subframe > LCA > Subframe > ¿Bushing? > Nut/Plate

ImageUploadedByAG Free1434560342.684599.jpg

Here you can see the one I heated by accident. Note the plate onto which the nut is welded, tweaked non-parallel to the subframe.

Note the lack of attachment between the nut plate and the subframe. They really seem independant of one another.

·
3,947 Posts
first pic looks like number 3

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Those look like normal honda bushings, have a metal sleeve wrapped in rubber bushing inside a metal ring pressed into the arm or what not.

Kind of like these HR ones. the ones down the middle for instance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
first pic looks like number 3
definitely looks like the compensator/toe link not the LCA you're talking about

here's a better pic of one
I assure you my pictures are of the lower control arm and not the compensator arm. Besides, from what I can see the compensator arm mount doesn't allow for access to the nut on the other side due to it going into the body/frame.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those look like normal honda bushings, have a metal sleeve wrapped in rubber bushing inside a metal ring pressed into the arm or what not.

Kind of like these HR ones. the ones down the middle for instance.
You can't get that LCA bushing from Honda, you might from NAPA or rock auto but you would be better off with a whole arm, they can be had for the cheap with the bushings.
See the pic below. We aren't talking LCA bushings.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1434575732.584264.jpg

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Oh you finally circled the part you were talking about, now we can get some answers.

edit: These are from an integra but from what I read they do the same thing on the ends of the rear subframe mount points.

Looks like those are a bushing to help vibration noise out back, looks like they are part of the mount point under the car. Not sure you can get them, since I don't know the part name, maybe a tech can chime in, DNA, Beer?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh you finally circled the part you were talking about, now we can get some answers.

edit: These are from an integra but from what I read they do the same thing on the ends of the rear subframe mount points.

Looks like those are a bushing to help vibration noise out back, looks like they are part of the mount point under the car. Not sure you can get them, since I don't know the part name, maybe a tech can chime in, DNA, Beer?
Yeah well judging the responses I can see I wasn't the clearest of OPs, sorry about that. :sad: However, that is exactly what I was talking about. If I can't find replacements, do you think just a good washer to distribute the force and nut could do the job? When I get to heating the bolt loose I doubt there'll be much left of that bushing.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts