Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people, I'm looking to share my experience and track it down here.

I bought a 94 civic for 3000$ (really cheap in my country) and started with the basics.

Caliper piston were defective so new pistons done.
Timing and minor adjustments done.

Replaced the old D16z6 with a D16y8.
New transmission 4.25
Velocity and 6" air filter

I was expecting at least 100whp BUT my deception on this...

96 whp 94ftlbs par

I got a few recommendations but I wanted to know the experience here if there is something I can check easily.

Thanks.

Today i went

Attachments

·
Registered
813 Posts
sounds bout right ..

air/fuel ratio is 10.5:1 from 4500rpm and up ...rich much?

velocity stack doesn't do anything sitting still..
what exhaust from head to tip?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Are you still using the D16Z6 ECU? Like robgoof said, those A/F's are not ideal, and coincidentally right around the VTEC crossover. I'm gonna say you need an ECU tuning solution and a good tune. You should be over 100whp and your A/F's will be a lot better after that. You could also try installing the Z6 injectors, doing another pull and seeing if that remedies the rich A/F.

Injector sizes between the Z6 and the Y8 are different, the Y8's are a tiny bit bigger, hence the same amount of on time between the two is resulting in more fuel than normal.

In any case, a tune with higher octane fuel and some playing with timing will be sure to get you a bit more power with that engine. Also make sure you have a clean air filter, no telling how many times I see guys running around with nasty air filter elements. You could try a pull with the cleaner off of the intake seeing if that helps as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds bout right ..

air/fuel ratio is 10.5:1 from 4500rpm and up ...rich much?

velocity stack doesn't do anything sitting still..
what exhaust from head to tip?
Thanks for your answer.

Exhaust en 2 1/4 catalytic converter and high flow exhaust

It looks like 10:1 but actually thats the minimum the sensor recognize

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you still using the D16Z6 ECU? Like robgoof said, those A/F's are not ideal, and coincidentally right around the VTEC crossover. I'm gonna say you need an ECU tuning solution and a good tune. You should be over 100whp and your A/F's will be a lot better after that. You could also try installing the Z6 injectors, doing another pull and seeing if that remedies the rich A/F.

Injector sizes between the Z6 and the Y8 are different, the Y8's are a tiny bit bigger, hence the same amount of on time between the two is resulting in more fuel than normal.

In any case, a tune with higher octane fuel and some playing with timing will be sure to get you a bit more power with that engine. Also make sure you have a clean air filter, no telling how many times I see guys running around with nasty air filter elements. You could try a pull with the cleaner off of the intake seeing if that helps as well.
Thank you for your time

Long block = D16Y8

All other stuff is D16Z6 (ECU, injectors etc)

I'm trying to get this new intake manifold.

New filter 6" with velocity (8hp difference)

I'm cleaning out everything just in case injextors, vtec solenoid etc

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts