Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a EG8 civic with a JDM D15B which is failing to start.

It was working perfectly fine, started first pop, until a month ago when someone came to test drive it, it stopped working just before they arrived.
They took the distributor cap off and put it back on and it started again but would shake while driving.
Soon as the car was turned off it stopped starting and I removed the cap and put it back on to get it starting again.

After this I was looking for a more permanent fix so I decided to test the distributor to see if it's faulty

I took the distributor apart and accidently broke a piece of the rotor and the whole cover that's covering the ignitor and coil (not the cap holding the ignition leads).
I took the cover off as it was in pieces and left if out, then put the rest of the dizzy back together.
After this is began to start without dieing but it would splutter oil, shake and sound like it's misfiring.

It now doesn't start at all and not sure what's up.

I have tried the following:

> coil spring in distributor has spark (lost old spring so using a random spring I found).
> used test light to see if coil is interacting with the ignitor and it flashed when lit so it is.
> grounded spark plug while out of the engine and connected to just the ignition lead, got spark.
> compression test came back 60 55 50 50
> engine light comes and goes off with a click so main relay should be fine
> got a new distributor cap (the one holding leads, not the one I cracked and removed) as old connectors were worn, seems to sound a bit better when it tries to start but still doesn't start.
> tried a different battery as one in the car is dead atm since its never used, have to jump start it whenever I work on the car. New battery did not fix the starting issue.
> Put a bit of oil down each spark hole incase it's 'borewashed' from all failed starts, and it still won't start but it sounds different, as if it is trying to start, can hear the pod filter when I try give throttle.

Running out of ideas, does it sound like I need a whole new distributor?

·
Registered
94 Civic Cx
393 Posts
Didnt read all of it but have you checked the clutch bypass switch? Just jump the plug with a piece of wore or a paper clip

·
Banned
17 Posts
When you did a compression test did you pinch the fuel line? You will get low numbers if the engine is flooded and the gas "washes" your cylinders.

The coils in the distributor fail A LOT...they CAN make your car run like crud before they fail as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just took the distributor out to get ready to try a friends one, there is oil in the area the distributor connects to the engine, is it supposed to be like that?
I tried cleaning it up but it would keep coming down into the chamber the distributor connects.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately mates one didn't fit :L

Might just buy another distributor I can't think of what else it could be. Only reason I didn't already was because I have spark at coil and igniter appears to be fine also, so not sure what else could be wrong.

·
Registered
94 Civic Cx
393 Posts
Yes oil will come out of there i usually stuff a rag there til its time to switch it and did you have the part that connects to the cam 180 out?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Haven't been able to find another distributor so want to make sure it actually is that as want to get the car running asap.

Below are some videos I took to try show you the problem, it just cranks but doesn't start.

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
What plugs do you have and what do they look like? Compression test needs done again but this time spray wd40 in the cylinders and keep the throttle wide open. Disconnect the fuel injectors to do the test.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to update, car is running again.

I borrowed my mates coil from his EK as his EK is stuffing out with idle problems stalling (automatic transmission) etc.

I've bought another coil which I'm awaiting delivery but until using my mates.
It feels like it has the problem my mates EK has, it's close to stalling and hits almost 0 on the rpm gauge. Smoke coming out the exhaust manifold but I think it's burning oil that may have spilt on the manifold while removing the distributor.

Was going to try my mates rotor, dizzy cap and the cap covering the igniter and coil but I can't remove my current rotor as the screw is stripped.

Any ideas? It's sorta fine just dropping rpms real low.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts