Honda D Series Forum banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Thank you for so many words of support, the best thing is that I know very well that the d13 is not any demon of power or speed and I'm talking about it out loud, and some people say that I glorify this engine. There is a difference between glorifying and sharing the results of the competition with others as any other competitor does :D

About D series versus B:
One of my friends races in Rally stages with his CRX ED9. Earlier he had D16 DOHC (about 140 ~ 150whp), and it was very fast. Now with B16A2 he is disappointed because this engine is lazy in lower parts of RPM's and it generates time gaps in a result.

·
Registered
EJ8
62 Posts
Yeah. Lantis in Europe is called 323F BA. This one has V6 KLDE ITB engine. Is sick especially on full throttle - it sounds like V12 F1 :D
Those KL motors have one of the smoothest power bands I have ever felt and the sound of them is just.. amazing, especially with ITBs like you said. (y)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
1117 kilometers in total covered on wheels. The journey itself was full of emotions, because ... It was my longest route with this car since the day of its purchase, i.e. 8 years and driven almost 60 000 kilometers.
On the way there was a stop to repair a damaged turn signal, and on the way back to replace the front H4 bulb

The route is the route, but it's time to summarize the events:

1. Time attack of VTEC Cup Poland on Tor Łódź race track:

First time on this race track - a specific feeling, great emotions at the briefing itself. And the fact is, you can watch the recordings of other drivers before going to the track, but it was hard to deduce anything from them if you did not drive even one session yourself.

First session - getting to know the new track, the ride with the fiancée in the passenger seat. Somehow it turned out that from the second lap the gas pedal eagerly hit the floor and the excitement grew with every moment. Uphill, differentiation, tight turns, tricky, fast left curve at the top of the hill with braking to the tight "right".

While waiting for the second session, one of my colleagues had a minor failure related to miss shift and drop some oil, which resulted in a group action of neutralizing the oil spilled on the last sector of the track. These will definitely be those unforgettable moments that, despite working in full sun, bring back fond memories 🙂

The next sessions were already very hot, the tires started coming off after the second fast lap, but ... The last session of the day gave a huge kick, thanks to which it was possible to improve the time by 0.2s while driving on overheated tires, so the entire lap was covered with a huge smile on the face and spirit 😃

Finally, 2nd in class and 17th in the general classification out of 51 participants with a time of 1: 01.115!
From general considerations, what could be improved ...
  • Get used to the track and analyze your fastest lap footage to see "what else could be improved"
  • Work on the drivetrain, because I can feel the gap when the wheels box when accelerating from second gear - Apparently it's only 1.3, there is no torque, and a full slick with a width of 200 burns for too long (through the entire straight line in the last sector, acceleration on the straight road)
  • It would be good to have harder tires for such weather because such heat is not good for a soft compound
  • Geometry and convergence. Knowing that each wheel has a different camber, the toe-in on the rear axle is not yet possible to set ... here I would like to finally put it in order. Here it is a matter of not only the track times, but also the rapid wear of the tires, which are not so cheap anymore 🙁

2. FlatoutFestival at the Driving Technique Improvement Center Tomaszowo:

We arrived on Sunday at 9:00 am immediately signing up for PowerSprint.

It was very sunny in the morning, the first thing that caught my eye was the brilliant atmosphere of hay bundles arranged on the track thread - at that moment I was looking forward to seeing other participants in "action" and to try my hand at myself.
There was one chance to make a good time - it added an extra thrill. You almost ended up parking in the straw - a road tire no longer performs as well in conditions such as a hot track tire.
1st attempt: 54,683
2nd attempt: 53,845

But ... PowerSprint or Time Attack are not the only attractions at such events. People - people you meet from different parts of the country (and not only), new acquaintances, sharing joy, emotions, knowledge, experience is something that is really the foundation of all this, all these events, competitions.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,816 Posts
This was amazing! Thank you for sharing!

Keep going dude, I can't wait for more stories and events like this.

If you keep finishing in the top 3 spots at tracks you've never been at before, someone is going to notice you :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
This was amazing! Thank you for sharing!

Keep going dude, I can't wait for more stories and events like this.

If you keep finishing in the top 3 spots at tracks you've never been at before, someone is going to notice you :)
Thank you!

Two days ago in the most popular motorsport magazine in our country was a new article where redaction noticed me: VTEC Cup IV Runda Tor Łódź – 3 on-boardy | RALLY AND RACE

They write about me:

Mateusz Wujciów in V gen 1.3, who has also been developing his car for several years. He even went through an episode of turbocharging, however, is back on the naturally aspirated road and is definitely already reaching the limits with results that can be expected from Honda but those with much more powerful engines.

It's a great honor for me as this is the first time that I have been mentioned in such a prestigious place :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Thanks!

Here are best moments from last Time Attack - this black ED9 was the fastest in my class - D16 ZC with MFactory LSD was so quick! Finally 0.7s gap in results, green EG - Female Ania (we were playing a game in this session - two laps me as a fugitive, and after that two laps as a chaser and... check what was happened :D)

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
807 Posts
Every time I see this thing run it amazes me.
Geometry and convergence. Knowing that each wheel has a different camber, the toe-in on the rear axle is not yet possible to set ... here I would like to finally put it in order.
In regards to suspension geometry you have to think about how the rear suspension is basically a passive four wheel steering system on these things, on compression it toes out, and on drop it toes in, cutting the lateral force applied to the rear wheels and keeping them from breaking traction by pointing them into the turn. Several ways to take advantage of this on the track, I know you removed the front anti roll bar at one point, does it have a rear anti rollbar? Playing with different stiffness anti roll bars can net great lateral g-force gains by allowing the 2 sides of the rear suspension to compress or drop more on hard turn entry, even the front anti roll bar affects this as the hatchback chassis is pretty stiff and the front suspension will compensate to some degree for the rear of the chassis wanting to roll at the outer limit. Adjustable length link arms (toe adjusters), and adjustable upper control arms with a camber shim kit will allow you to dial in toe and camber change throughout the range of travel to keep the tires flat to the ground.
adding caster adjustment to the front will also let you reduce negative camber setting but still give enough negative camber as the wheels tilt into a turn to keep them flat as well.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,816 Posts
Thanks!

Here are best moments from last Time Attack - this black ED9 was the fastest in my class - D16 ZC with MFactory LSD was so quick! Finally 0.7s gap in results, green EG - Female Ania (we were playing a game in this session - two laps me as a fugitive, and after that two laps as a chaser and... check what was happened :D)

If I didnt know any better, I would have thought a civic showed up to a D1 event trying to prove everyone wrong about FWD hahaha. You have that car incredibly well setup to have controllable balanced lift off and power through oversteer like that, well done sir!

And i'm still in awe that the oiling system is wet sump with no starvation issues, flicking the car around that quickly. Gives me hope haha.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
997 Posts
Thanks!

doriftooo. Nice driving!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Every time I see this thing run it amazes me.

In regards to suspension geometry you have to think about how the rear suspension is basically a passive four wheel steering system on these things, on compression it toes out, and on drop it toes in, cutting the lateral force applied to the rear wheels and keeping them from breaking traction by pointing them into the turn. Several ways to take advantage of this on the track, I know you removed the front anti roll bar at one point, does it have a rear anti rollbar? Playing with different stiffness anti roll bars can net great lateral g-force gains by allowing the 2 sides of the rear suspension to compress or drop more on hard turn entry, even the front anti roll bar affects this as the hatchback chassis is pretty stiff and the front suspension will compensate to some degree for the rear of the chassis wanting to roll at the outer limit. Adjustable length link arms (toe adjusters), and adjustable upper control arms with a camber shim kit will allow you to dial in toe and camber change throughout the range of travel to keep the tires flat to the ground.
adding caster adjustment to the front will also let you reduce negative camber setting but still give enough negative camber as the wheels tilt into a turn to keep them flat as well.
Thank you for your feedback! At the end of this season I will buy adjustable rear camber to improve negative (see pictures below - rear tyres wear)

About ARB - Now I've got uninstalled rear and front. (Spring rate stay the same 16kg front, 12kg rear)

To reduce chassis roll I will try to do the same patent like my friend in VI gen chassis:

If I didnt know any better, I would have thought a civic showed up to a D1 event trying to prove everyone wrong about FWD hahaha. You have that car incredibly well setup to have controllable balanced lift off and power through oversteer like that, well done sir!

And i'm still in awe that the oiling system is wet sump with no starvation issues, flicking the car around that quickly. Gives me hope haha.
Remember - fill the oil to the upper limit in oil pan! :D

doriftooo. Nice driving!
Thanks a lot! :D

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
807 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Good news! First place in general classification on last Time Attack event - My debut on reverse course Tor Krzywa racetrack :D

Are you curious what Time Attack looks like on the reverse thread of Toru Krzywa? Please - here is the onboard 😃

By the way, it's time to sum up:

I had absolutely no plans for this trip to the Track Cup, but ... I got the information that the competition would take place in the reverse direction and the fact that there was never an opportunity to ride upstream on the track was a quick decision and my fiancée would pay the entry fee 😃
I was driving primarily with the intention of testing a new (for me) tires mix before the upcoming round at Tor Poznań - the fastest and the most dangerous race track in my country. I really wanted it to be very cool to check the super soft mixture of Hankook Ventus C92 tires, and more precisely from when they start to hold the rear axle well on the asphalt.

1. Briefing and familiarization with the thread:
The lecturer told in detail about the differences in individual sectors of the track - there are four critical places on the reverse thread, of which:

👉 Two are braking points that do not forgive the slightest mistake (a slight blockage of the wheels - a trip beyond the track. Confirmed - I fell out four times 😃)

👉 One is a quick left corner, which knocks the car into the air at (in my case) 140 km / h and then you need to straighten the track quickly and brake sharply to the right

👉 Final straight (very fast slalom 130 ~ 140km / h) and braking in the bend to a tightening roundabout.
In addition, of course, important information, about driving carefully and gradually increasing the pace.

2. Tactics and Driving:
👉 For the first session, I put Pirelli P Zero DM on the front axle (medium, tire condition ~ 10%), and on the rear axle: Hankook Ventus C92 (super soft). It was an introductory session to get used to the track. Here it helped tremendously to think of this reversed track thread as a completely different object to create a completely new track "map" in your head. In this session I fell off the track twice on both brakes mentioned by the judge at the briefing. After this session, 1st place overall with a time of 1: 02.300

👉 For the second session on the front axle I have already fitted the target tires - Michelin S412 (medium). Then I researched the brake point pain threshold at the end of the track - of course a trip to the roadside on one of the laps. Time in this session: 1: 00.513

👉 Third session - car settings unchanged. One trip behind the track again in the same place. Breaking the minute barrier, ending with a time of 0: 59.954

👉 Fourth session - car settings unchanged. This time there were no trips to the grass and the session was finished with a time of 0: 59,931

To sum up:
The instructor at the briefing was 100% correct in all key places on the track - there was indeed no room for a mistake. Blocking the wheels - a trip outside the track. Letting go of the gas on the arc, where it kicks the car into the air - it could end up badly, so I did not let go 😃

It was really cool. I am very happy that I could participate in the competition and test the tires for the rear axle, so I can sleep well before the October trip to the fastest facility in the country, which is Tor Poznań - as long as it did not rain / snow 😉

The formula of the competition itself and the idea with the reverse thread is really great! Thanks to this, on one object you can compete on two completely different lines of the track (track layout, profiling of turns, places where you can drive, you have to brake in the opposite direction ...

I am glad that I was able to prove myself as an "instructor" by giving a 10-minute lesson on how to drive the thread (personal track analysis after only three sessions). Effect - a colleague in the Mazda RX-8 on a road tire improved the time from 1: 05.xxx to 1: 03.xxx, which gave him a podium in the Sport 2 class!
Sky Smile Hood Cloud Car

Video (ENG subtitles are available)

41 - 60 of 82 Posts