Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
EG hatchback
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ive found out my tie rods has been making noise for a while now. The manual steering rack inner boots are torn and worn/ the joint inside looks very bad.
i bought a special tool to fit the whole tool into the inner boot installation instead of using a wrench. but didn't have the time to install or see how to install it.

Are there any tips to install the whole inner joint/boot and outer tie rods???
i would have to remove the outer first measure??

how about the inside part joint nut area?
whats the torque spec for the inner joint on that thing? the big looking nut???

please let me know will i be able to torque the inner joint with my special tool looks like a long tube with a nut shaped for the inner joints. it has a 1/2 inch drive on the end of the tube pipe. how do i use i slip the whole thing inside???

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,939 Posts
Loosen the outer tie rod locknut.

Remove the outer tie rod and count the number of revolutions before it comes off. Mark the tie rod with this number

Use your tool, or two adjustable jaw wrenches, and break the lock washer to loosen the inner tie rod from the steering rack. You probably won't be able to bend the lock washers with the steering gearbox installed on the car. Just loosen the inner tie rods after the washer 'feet' are broken off.

Replace the inner tie rods, bend the new lock washers.

Replace the outer tie rods using the number of revolutions you recorded when removing as a rough guide.

Look for any obvious toe-in/out issues with the wheels and adjust as necessary.

Get car aligned

Edit: don't worry too much about torque specs. The alignment shop certainly wont

·
Registered
EG hatchback
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Loosen the outer tie rod locknut.

Remove the outer tie rod and count the number of revolutions before it comes off. Mark the tie rod with this number

Use your tool, or two adjustable jaw wrenches, and break the lock washer to loosen the inner tie rod from the steering rack. You probably won't be able to bend the lock washers with the steering gearbox installed on the car. Just loosen the inner tie rods after the washer 'feet' are broken off.

Replace the inner tie rods, bend the new lock washers.

Replace the outer tie rods using the number of revolutions you recorded when removing as a rough guide.

Look for any obvious toe-in/out issues with the wheels and adjust as necessary.

Get car aligned

Edit: don't worry too much about torque specs. The alignment shop certainly wont
what is the torque specs for the inner joint? if u use the special tube socket with a 1/2 end to torque it to. also is them necessary to use locktite. ¿

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,939 Posts
If you use that attachment, the torque wrench won't read correctly anyway...it's just like using a crows foot. I guess you can check the FSM if you're adamant about finding a spec. No loctite, the lock washer locks it in place

1 - 6 of 6 Posts