Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
EG hatchback
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My EG civic hatchback vx with a manual steering rack needs replacement of the whole inner boot torn to crap. The inner tie rod joints/and outer also.

B4 i go ahead and install the new inner joint/ new boots is it recommended to pack the whole boot steering rack and joint with a special type of grease???? like pack it with something and turn the wheel left to right and pack the hell out of it????

what grease do i need to use???
or do i use any?? need some tips.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
No no no. Dont pack it with anything.

The inner tie rod end will be pre lubricated, as well as the outer tie rod end.

The rack is lubricated with power steering fluid, or if its a manual rack, is greased upon being built in the factory and would only be regreased during a rebuild/overhaul.

If you needed to grease something, grease the rack where the nylon guide bushing is.

·
Registered
EG hatchback
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The rack is lubricated with power steering fluid, or if its a manual rack, is greased upon being built in the factory and would only be regreased during a rebuild/overhaul.

If you needed to grease something, grease the rack where the nylon guide bushing is.
what is the nylon guide bushing and where is it?? what is that??? my steering rack seems it don't have power steering fluid also.
what kind of grease do i lube the nylon guide bushing?

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
The nylon bushings is on the passenger side inside the gearbox between the rack and the gearbox housing. There are two little tabs that hold it in place. You'll need some picks and whatnot to get it out.

Use whatever general purpose synthetic grease you can buy locally at your auto parts store. I used valvoline synthetic multi purpose grease. Don't over grease is, the nylon bushing needs some space for air to move through

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
If you're taking the rack out of the car, don't even bother trying to bend the lock washers. Just loosen them and the little feet will break off. You can then then the rack and the ears will fall out

·
Registered
11 Posts

This!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts