Honda D Series Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
That's heading to be an awsum ride!
Whats the drive train going to be..

Still putting together the parts but for sure High compression D16Z6. If I ever sell my K series supercharger, I can get her a rebuilt LSD transmission. I am on the fence still between 12 to 1 and 13 to 1 e85 build.

·
Registered
'93 / '95 Del Sol Si - '95 DX Coupe - '00 Accord EX F23 Manual
2,235 Posts
If you use a 3 - 5 pound steel mallet, a lot of those suspension parts are cake.
3 tricks I use on the ones that give me trouble are -
Heat
Brake fluid (it penetrates way better than WD-40)..
The freezer (for anything I'm putting in).

If you use a little heat, you can bang something like a ball joint out in about 10 seconds.
Put the new ball joint in the freezer for about 30 - 60 minutes before you put it in. Throw a little grease on the sides and it will go in so well, you will think it's too loose. Once it warms back up, it will expand to the proper size.

Heat and brake fluid together work excellent to penetrate stuff. A little heat , add brake fluid and repeat. I just throw some cardboard down to catch the excess. This also works for stuck adjustable coilovers. But I like to keep the heat down to a minimum on them. Even ones that I throught would never let go eventually do. Flash heat, brake fluid, repeat.

I had my passenger, lower ball joint snap on my Del Sol recently with my kid in it. It literally snapped in half. That sucked. Ripped the passenger axle out and did all kinds of damage. Luckily, I have garage full of 88-00 parts galore and two donor Sols out back. I got the whole repair done in an afternoon...including removing the parts from other cars.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well not the best of updates. My paint & body guy ended up being a piece of shit who made promises but never actually finished the car. Finally was able to track him down after he went MIA for a couple months and get the car and the majority of my parts back in my possession. I am still trying to get all of my missing glass and I think I am missing the front windshield trim. I also need to replace one of the new ebay rear tail lights since they are broken due to his shitty care.

This is how I got the car back.

20210516_114820.jpg

20210516_114826.jpg

20210516_114907.jpg

Luckily one of my friends has a welder and knows how to weld body panels. We were able to get these all lined up and tacked in but we ran out of gas for the welder. Plan is to fill in the gaps and the trim holes sometime this month when he gets some free time. On the plus side, it was cool to spend time with him since we rarely get to hang out.
20210530_214411.jpg

I spent the weekend working on the nasty old sound deadener. I used up over 20 lbs of dry ice and broke a harbor freight needle gun trying to get this stuff off. Plan to hit it up with goo gone and sand everything down to get ready for paint.
20210529_192215.jpg

20210530_214422.jpg

My plan is to get a road race style cage and do a half gut on the interior. Then rattle can paint match and 2K clear.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,301 Posts
Gave you a like, but dont like what happened. That shit sucks. Glad you got back what you did.

Was the dude trying to steal the car from a "hopefully he forgets about the car while i drop off the grid" perspective?

Definitely seems sketchy as f.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Gave you a like, but dont like what happened. That shit sucks. Glad you got back what you did.

Was the dude trying to steal the car from a "hopefully he forgets about the car while i drop off the grid" perspective?

Definitely seems sketchy as f.
No, he just had other jobs that paid more so he kept working on those is my guess. He changed his contact info several times and wouldn't answer calls or texts. I had to threaten to report the car stolen and then he finally gave it up. He moved shops and come to find out he owed money at the old shop and left my car there. They wouldn't let him remove the car until he paid up. I don't know the full truth, the guy always had stories and new timetables. I am hoping to get my glass back since that will probably cost me a couple hundred. I might do the body work myself at this point too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Spent a productive day cleaning out and disassembling the car some more. I was able to get the rest of the gunk out and pull the carpet and seatbelts. The carpet got vacuumed, powerwashed, then cleaned. Even though this carpet is in pretty good shape, I will probably dye it again.
20210531_170324.jpg
20210531_183932.jpg
20210531_183713.jpg

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The carpet turned out well after the good cleaning. I decided to use the Duplicolor Flat Black Vynil and Fabric spray paint on it which really came out well. I used up an entire can for almost 2 full coats. Would have liked to do another pass but I ran out. I brushed the carpet in between coats to try to get different angles of the carpet.
20210601_152930.jpg
IMG_20210601_163852_047.jpg

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Messed around with my oven last night and cerakoted a couple parts. I ended up doing this front sway bar but quite didn't like the finish since it was more of mat color. I ended up spraying some gloss black over it. It should still be pretty durable since the base is baked on. I also did high temp Piston coat on my 12:1 Arias forged pistons which came out great.
20210602_093117.jpg

20210602_151313.jpg

IMG_20210602_153158_717.jpg

21 - 29 of 29 Posts