Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to document my 93 Civic DX Hatch Restoration/High Compression build. I picked up this Auto Hatch with a straight body and minimal rust. Decided to start off with the suspension first before I send it off to paint. Still on the fence whether I want to repaint the engine bay. Here are some photos of how she currently sits.

Plan is to do an ITR Front and Rear brake upgrade with hardrace bushings throughout. Picked up an Integra rear trailing arm set with e-brake lines.

These were a pain to break down. The hub got stuck the rusted spindle.I ended up breaking a flathead trying to pry the hub off. Had to use/modify a valve compression tool to get the remainder of the hub out.

Decided to buy a press from harbor freight to get the rear trailing arms out since those where rusted in there pretty good. Going to use the remnants to press in the new trailing arms and front bearings as they seem to be just the right size.Going to be running Timken bearings front and rear.

Here is the finished product. Ended up putting two coats of Rustoleum black enamel. Also busted out my buffing wheel and polished the rust off the spindles. Now just waiting on more brake parts to come in.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well the rear trailing arms are pretty much complete. Need to pick up new screws for the rotors and some lids. Still waiting on the brake lines and coilovers to come in. I am supposed to pick up a front integra spindles this weekend. Hopefully I can get started on the fronts. Using Timken bearings front and back. The trailing arm bushings are HardRace.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Picked up some front knuckles this week and spent most of the weekend tearing them down. Everything was rusted and the Youtube videos showing people just hammer bearings out is a lie! I ended up having to press everything out after I found some metal spacers for the press. Used a 28mm socket and some metal hitches to hold the knuckles high enough to press out the hub. The snap rings were rusted in, so had them soaked in wd40 before I could get them out. Then swapped to a 34mm socket to press out the wheel bearings. Had to hammer the hell out ball joints to get them to come free. I decided to get roll center adjusters vs regular ball joints since the car will be lowered. I am waiting for those to come in and the brake lines and I should be ready to reassemble and install !

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
724 Posts
I feel your pain! Replacing every suspension, braking and steering component on my car sucked the life out of me doing it all from home. It takes a massive amount of elbow grease to complete, especially doing everything yourself!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I couldn't imagine how tough it would be if I was just replacing the bushings. At least the control arms are new and come with bushings.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The roll center adjusters came in. Still waiting on the brake lines. The manufacturer sent them to the vendor instead of drop shipping them to me. I dropped the snap rings for the wheel bearings in the tumbler and got most of the rust out, then gave them a fresh coat of paint. I then spent some time on inner knuckles with the dremel getting the rust out. Was able to press in the bearings and get the hubs pressed in also. Hoping to have the brakes installed soon.

So the wheel bearings have a magnetic side and non magnetic. If you have ABS then you want the magnetic side to be towards the inside of the car near the ABS pickup. It won't matter on my build.

The dust shields were a little beat up but they still will serve their purpose. Decided to just give them a new coat. Don't really care since they won't be visible, as the rotors are slightly larger.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Decided to clean up the wheel wells and engine bay. This hatch had years worth of caked on grease, especially in the front wheel wells. Both rack boots are torn and the car is leaking oil from god knows how many places. I am leaning toward getting the engine bay repainted but that means that the car would need to be trailered to paint and back.
I plan to hit the wheel wells again with some simple green and a harsh brush to see if I can make some more progress.Was also wondering what everyone does with the wheel well covers. Do you reinstall them?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I thought I was done with the trailing arms but while watching youtube video's I came across the Honed Performance Rear Roll Center Correction kit. The kit requires you to remove the welded bolt flange on the bottom of the trailing arm where the lca's bolt up to. You also need to remove the rubber undercoating to help the kit fit flush.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Made the decision to pull the engine and paint the engine bay. I think with the amount of money going towards this build and use of OEM parts, I would like everything to match. Just waiting on my glass seals to come in and then I will send it off to paint. I removed the old side skirts while I was at it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I needed a different set of compliance arms since my setup doesn't come with the holes for the front sway bar. I looked around and saw just crazyness. Ktuned wanted over 150 dollars for their set. The pieces are just metal and the bolts are huge. I ended up picking up a used set from ebay for 30 dollars.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the Honed Rear Roll Center Correction Kit is still in Australia. I guess there is a lack of flights out of country so it has been sitting at customs since the 14th. On a positive note all of my seals are in. I ended up grabbing the rear quarter glass seals from Japan since they are NLA in the US or crazy overpriced. In total I picked L & R Front Windshield Trim, Front Upper Glass trim, L & R Roof Trim, L& R Rear Glass Quarter Seals with Colored Clips, and Rear Tailgate Weatherstrip.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,403 Posts
how much did that run you for the front window lol

I just had my windshield replaced and let the installer use their shit. last I checked, it was 200$ per side and the top was like 150

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
73151-SR3-013​
Molding, Front Windshield (Upper)​
$39.97​
1​
$39.97​
73152-SR3-003​
Molding Assembly, R Front Windshield Side​
$70.48​
1​
$70.48​
73162-SR3-003​
Molding Assembly, L Front Windshield Side​
$70.48​
1​
$70.48​

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,403 Posts
well...........shit lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Rear Roll Center Correction kit is finally in the US but stuck in customs. Hopefully should get those this week. Worked on the misc brackets and shifter linkage. Have all new rubber and OEM parts coming in for the shifter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts