Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iv sold my older coupe and i have 2 cars in mind, an 95 EX coupe or a 95 DX Hatch

Pros EX Coupe:
  • No Rust
  • D16z6
  • P28 Ecu
  • Already Has Coilovers
  • All Stock AC/PS Sunroof all the goodies
Cons EX Coupe
  • 224k-246k (may need rebuild soon)

Pros DX Hatch
  • No Rust At All
  • Absolutely Bone Stock
Cons DX Hatch
  • D15B7
Bottom line i want this to be a Turbo Build platform, id have to swap a d16z6 into the hatch for my build, and that would be costly(not really but im 16 and unemployed xD)

Would it make more sense to go with the coupe or hatchback?
Lets Hear your Opinion :) !

I wasn't very sure where to post this so if a mod would move it to the right section it would be highly appreciated

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Well here is what I would do and it would be different than you maybe. I would buy the hatch, then slowly buy my turbo build and get everything ready for the swap to have the least amount of downtime. Then if anything happens you will have a good motor to swap back into the car.

Being 16 and unemployed would to me make me rethink my decision on building a turbo car.

·
yEaH tHaT gUy!!!
my hatchy
3,178 Posts
It all comes down to your taste.

You're going to through money into either one so...

What body style do you like?

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
entirely on body style favor.

200+k miles does not mean it needs a rebuild. this isnt a domestic car

EDIT I see the age 16 and unemployed part.

dont buy a car with someone elses money. earn it yourself

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
entirely on body style favor.

200+k miles does not mean it needs a rebuild. this isnt a domestic car

EDIT I see the age 16 and unemployed part.

dont buy a car with someone elses money. earn it yourself
I have alot saved away, ive been into hondas since i was 11 xD i saved up my grass cuttin/odd job money for years lmfao
I have about 3500 dollars to play with

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
if all you got is 3500, I would cap the car purchase at 2000, and spend the remaining amount doing as much maintenance as possible

you will be amazed at what a full set of bushings and replacing some of the sensors can do to enjoy the car further.

a perfectly maintained 92-95 dx manual civic will roast a worn out 92-95 ex manual.

and that is what, jsut under 30hp expected difference?

go for the one that appears to be in best "repair"

·
Banned
98 Civic EX 160k MI
12 Posts
I have alot saved away, ive been into hondas since i was 11 xD i saved up my grass cuttin/odd job money for years lmfao
I have about 3500 dollars to play with
More power to you man. Im 16, working and bought my EJ8 for 1900. I love that thing. Its all up to your personal opinion if you like the coupe or the hatch. I personally like the lowered hatches, bone stock hatches are yuck. But that being said, I would buy the coupe, this is just me though. It has the D16Z6 which is an amazing engine for boost. (My y8 doesnt have good oil pressure, something to do with the pump and sh*t) and its an EX, so you get all the goodies.

Reactions: nuckles

·
Registered
15 WRX STi
76 Posts
Ah yes Eg platform, my favorite again OP it is up to preference and what you would like to achieve as far as style, i chose a EG8 "Sedan", to be inconspicuous since i live in so cal, now grant it i was your age 8 years ago when i started lol times were different, but, as mattliston listed 2k to purchase is tops and you can get pretty decent coupes or hatches for that price body/exterior wise.
I would aim for the below as i am in the same situation at the moment.
Body: 8/10(As long as anything from the doors back are straight the front end is cheap to replace)
Title: Clean IMO people BS about salvage titles
Interior: If i look to keep it stock id look for 7/10 and that's being pushy due to the year of the eg/ej
Engine: as long as it was maintained and their is proof 7/10 maybe 6/10 but that also lowering standards.
Electrical: 8/10 i like my harnesses untouched im not like ONATOP whose a guru on wires or Pata the man with a garage that is constructed by harnesses.:fawk:

I shall be on the hunt for your build thread! like seeing youngbucks with their creativity!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if all you got is 3500, I would cap the car purchase at 2000, and spend the remaining amount doing as much maintenance as possible

you will be amazed at what a full set of bushings and replacing some of the sensors can do to enjoy the car further.

a perfectly maintained 92-95 dx manual civic will roast a worn out 92-95 ex manual.

and that is what, jsut under 30hp expected difference?

go for the one that appears to be in best "repair"
Hatch:

Coupe :

Im super Stuck I love hatches but also i developed a love for ej1's lol hardest decision for a 16 year old ever!!

·
Banned
98 Civic EX 160k MI
12 Posts
Hatch:

Coupe :

Im super Stuck I love hatches but also i developed a love for ej1's lol hardest decision for a 16 year old ever!!
Test Drive both of them, Then which ever one feels better to drive, mechanically, then chose that one. Both of them looks like theyre in the same body condition.

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
I would get that hatch, leave it stock, and use it to get to work and back. Build your finances up, don't put the cart before the horse. patience will give you the best build on your current budget.

I'd hate to see you throw a bunch of knock off parts on your car only to see it fall apart in a few years, and you lose interest.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Also them coil overs on the coupe are likely no name ebay shit with blown out stock struts under them. I only say this based on the condition of the rest of the car and they way it looks around here when people do it that exact way.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
hatch all day.

take care of it. update all maintenance.

drive it stock for the rest of the year. save up as much money as possible.

do NOT get caught up in bullshit ebay parts.

good suspension will be a minimum $600 non coilovers, around or over a grand for full coilovers

bushing kits cost 3-500 at a shop to install, lots of labor.

rear trailing arms could be spherical in future, they are probably rotted out badly.

go online and buy a spare main relay, ignition control module, and ignition coil. keep them in the car along with a screwdriver, 10mm socket and wrench, and some patience

·
Registered
Prelude, Integra DB9
404 Posts
I would have gone for the coupe - until you posted the pictures.
The hatch. Repeat: the hatch.

For most of us, bodywork is either too fiddly or too expensive, so start with the best shell you can. The rest can follow at a leisurely pace as and when you're ready.
I work on this basis: a car must be able to stop safely; then it must be able to go round corners; and only when these two things are in place does it need to be able to go.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts