Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A little background, my car is deep in project status, one of the things I am going to do to it to complement the new drivetrain is add gauges, up until now I've dealt with the factory temp quasi-guage and idiot lights for the rest. Figure start off with either volts or amps, oil pressure, and water temp that shows actual temp. Plan then is to use an audio console to relocate the stereo and mount gauges in the original factory radio din slot.

So, I bought an audio console, seemed like a decent deal, and have since received it. Been sitting on it for a couple weeks or so and decided today to assess it (like, what stereo to mount in it, what to put in the ashtray hole, replace cigarette lighter with a proper power port, etc).

Would have been nice if it came with all hardware, but whatever, I can procure some from picknpull or whatever, not a big deal. I try to fit the cover to the console, wanted to see what it looks like:

I noticed there is a gap at the bottom around the cigarette lights/ashtray area

This is with the top of the cover flush with the cd player at the top and down the sides, looks like maybe it's been cut a little bit? A lot bit? Anybody more familiar with these consoles than myself have input here?

To me, it looks like either the cover is mismatched to the console or the cover has been chopped to the point of being almost useless, that's like a 1.5" gap at the bottom there, I guess I can try to make a filler panel for it but what I was really hoping for was a complete and functional console. Am I wrong to feel a little put-out here?

** I did a google image search prior to making this thread, I see their are a few different consoles....but....none with the huge gap at the bottom lol

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,045 Posts
when it sits on the lower shift console, on the bracket, that's supports the weight, then you slide the skin over the frame and screw it in towards the back. it should pull the gap closed. have you test fit it in the car?

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, not yet, still trying to decide what stereo to run etc and noticed the gap

·
4,045 Posts
yeah it should close up. it doesn't sit vertical when installed.

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We'll see, right now, the top and sides are flush against the cd player and it has that gap....I will wait til I get a chance to test fit it before I pass further judgement

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So another audio console question, I will probably be able to better address this when I test fit, but thinking double din navi in the console like this:

Pic not of my car, probably won't use that exact head unit, but that basic idea, anybody done this? Easy to use down that low?

·
4,045 Posts
my opinion, not my cup of tea. navi and things like that should be high in the field of view to minimize taking your eyes off the road.

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah, I do kind of like having nav in my other car tho, this would be the only practical way of doing it to one of our cars that I can think of, maybe stock location single din flip out but I just don't like those, would rather have gauges right there where I can see them too

** Also, that ashtray spot is too low to effectively use an afr gauge, isn't it? Probably better to have that up high where it can be seen as well

·
Registered
94 Civic Cx
393 Posts
I have an extra set of hardware and lighter extender sitting at my parents if you need it. I wanted to mount the climate control in the audio console and modify the original singal din to a double din thats another option but not as plug and play

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, not plug and play at all lol, more like re-inventing the wheel. Could totally be done but would be a lot of work. even if it had a double din slot in the dash, I still want gauges up there.

I don't really care for them, but might have to go with a double gauge pillar mount as well as the single din panel in the stock stereo location

·
4,045 Posts
what I wanted to do was lower the radio into the console, lower the a/c into the radio spot and put gauges in the a/c spot.

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wonder how hard it would be to move the radio to the console, climate to the console, then make a 5 gauge panel in the original radio/climate control area? Race car shit lol!

·
Registered
680 Posts
i currently have a 4th gen prelude center console in my car. It has a double din in it that is in a similar position to the one you've posted.

i've got a single radio unit in the bottom of it right now and it is easy to use. granted I'm 6'4 and have fairly long arms.

i have gauges just above that and they are quite distracting. to look at they would be way better further up on the dash.

currently im playing around with a couple 7 segment displays in the optonal eg clock position. controlling is with a arduino and I'm planning on having it display air fuel and boost.

another option for air fuel is doing something like famerD where he used a boost gauge and relocated the displays into the dash board in one of the unused spots.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
what I wanted to do was lower the radio into the console, lower the a/c into the radio spot and put gauges in the a/c spot.
that's the way to do it imo, but EG's you can always do the top vent pod

·
4,045 Posts

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
on my 95 I cut the vanes out of the left side vent and put my boost gauge in there, bad idea, the wheel blocked my view.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Or autometer dash pod

1 - 20 of 35 Posts