Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm still quite the turbo noob, but someone mentioned them on another forum. I did a little reading and the Borg Warner EFR's really look like the hot ticket. Wastegate and BOV are integrated into the turbo, as well as a boost control solenoid. So I figure I save like $500 on the WG/BOV by itself, plus what I save by not having to route the WG dump back into the exhaust, etc. That makes the price tag of $1600 a little less harsh (to me).

I'd be looking at getting either the EFR 6758 (500hp). Would there be a big enough differance to notice over a normal journal bearing (T3/T04E 57 Trim; ~$600) turbo that would make the extra price worth it? Are the EFR turbos what they are hyped up to be?

Article on the EFR: Beyond the Dyno: BorgWarner EFR feature set explained
Full-Race Link: BorgWarner EFR Turbos | Full-Race.com

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
From the full race page in the link "EFR Internal WG Fitment is application specific: most longitudinal engines such as 2JZ, SR20, RB26, will fit the Internal WG, whereas many transverse engines such as some FWD Hondas and some AWD applications will not fit the EFR internal WG. Applications prone to boost creep may prefer large external wastegates for boost levels under 7psi. exceptions to the rules confuse this. Keep an eye out for a Full-Race fitment compatibility chart coming soon!"

·
Registered
764 Posts
If you are on a budget then they are not worth it. If you have money to blow then yeah go with them. The biggest problem I have heard of is that they are larger then a comparable sized turbo's because of the extra stuff they have with them.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
500 for a wastegate and a blow off valve? Ebay has proven to work just fine. why not buy a regular turbo for 600 and a cheap bov and wg? grand total for the three maybe 800? quite a bit cheaper imo.

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are on a budget then they are not worth it. If you have money to blow then yeah go with them. The biggest problem I have heard of is that they are larger then a comparable sized turbo's because of the extra stuff they have with them.
Not at all worried about fitting it. There's always a way to fit it...

500 for a wastegate and a blow off valve? Ebay has proven to work just fine. why not buy a regular turbo for 600 and a cheap bov and wg? grand total for the three maybe 800? quite a bit cheaper imo.
$280 for the Tial V38 (WG) and $245 for the Tial Q (BOV).
As cheap as I am, I would want to do a 'baller on a budget' build, not have to deal with a potentially shit eBay part (My build will be a 400whp DD engine), and support the original company, not the cheap-ass competitors. Whole 'nother topic but that about sums it up.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Sounds interesting.

This is extremely fast for a company the size of BW with very stringent design and manufacturing standards. BW isn't a 5 person shop that copies a Garrett compressor wheel, rescales it in CAM software so there's an infinite amount of trims available, hogs one out of aluminum bar stock on a CNC machine and then proceeds to stuff it into virtually any compressor housing without compressor or turbine mapping (let's not forget about giving these hogged out turbos nonsensical names while they were at it
Is this a stab at Precision Turbo?

:lol:

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
contact greg at go-auto or bob at rc-auto...

if your gonna drop 1600 on just the turbo your not even considering cutom mani (500-1000+) downpipe, charge piping, etc....

you will be able to get in on either of those site sponsors kits for less money overall, both of which will all come with quality parts

both have several options for mani's, turbos, power goals and so on.....

·
Registered
764 Posts
Read my post. They are oversized compared to turbo's in same frame class.

#9 I don't agree with the quote at all. Borg Warner started out by copying Garrett Turbos. They make T3 and T3T4 parts just like everyone else. Mitsubishi is the manufacturer that really never copied Garrett when it started producing turbos. They are still using the same TD05H turbine in the new turbos as they did with turbos they produced in the mid 80's and probably before that.

For the money that would be spent on one of these turbos you could buy a good journal bearing turbo as well as the related parts and have stout setup for far cheaper. You can buy a new Garrett T3T4 that will make the hp you are looking for around $400 shipped. No 400hp turbo is going to spool fast either.

The other thing that scares me is that they are new. A lot of first runs have weaknesses that get worked out after several years of real world use. It would suck to buy one and 2 monthes down the road find out they have major issues due to not enough real world use when released. This happens a lot of times.

The other thing and this is the deal breaker for me. I would say that parts for these turbos are expensive to replace. If you do a traditional turbo setup you can replace parts individually and their availibilty is not limited at this time. The other thing is the T3T4's that are out there, no matter who it is that makes them, can share the same parts and what not. Also if you buy a T3T4 with say a 40 trim compressor and later want to upgrade you can do so cheaply with quality parts. I can upgrade virtually any T3 to T3T4 for $125. I doubt you can buy the compressor for any of the new EFR turbos for $125.

I am not saying they are bad turbos at all. They are probably great pieces and work well. I just think currently there are a lot of better benefits to doing a traditinal turbo build.

Personally I think the EFR turbo's were built the way they are so that they would appeal to OEM manufacturers and aftermarket like HKS and Greddy. They simplify installation on setups designed around them and keep down costs by buying everything bundled together. They will more then likely change the turbo industry.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
you dont have to go cheap....but if that thing is $1600....for $400 more you can get a complete kit from greg at go-auto.....and yes that comes with tial bov & tial wastegate....try to find the rest of the turbo kit for $400.....at this point they were just released, therefor they are overpriced and with no real world reviews other than its a cool idea....i say stick to the tried and true

give it a few years they will drop in price and hopefully have all the bugs worked out.....

just for an example think about the iphone....its a very good phone that was hyped way up....people sat in line for days or payed 10x the retail price on ebay to have one.....within 2 months the hype died down, the battery was not removable, you couldn't picture message and a whole host of other issues.....fast forward a year or two, they came out with the second version....fixed all the problems and has been a dominate force in the phone industry for several years and still going strong.... (although android is soooo much better :) )

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
Then stay the )(*#$)(*#$ out of this thread.

The dude is asking about if the EFR turbo is worth it. If you don't think so, then say "no" and move the )(#$)(*#$ along.

They absolutely are worth it if you can afford them. If you can't or don't care about a rather revolutionary product, GTFO.

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
You can feel free to use this turbo if you'd like. They show it works, so why not? If you've got the money to spend, spend it how you'd like. I like the external WG and BOV features myself because of simplicity and cost. If a BOV goes bad, just replace it. If the BOV goes on that turbo...the entire turbo will have to come out. Food for thought.

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
WTF? Like, seriously?

Ugh. UGH!

Someone obviously hasn't effing read/looked at anything closely about the turbo.

The BOV portion of the EFR turbos is based on a design that has been on millions of vehicles. Let me repeat that for emphasis: MILLIONS of vehicles. MIIIIIIIIIIILLIIIIIIIONS. BorgWarner is the largest manufacturer of turbos in the world. The design they chose is based on that experience. It's fast, compact and reliable. It also helps the )(#$()#$ turbo stay spooled between shifts since it is a recirculating system.

The Wastegate is very unique, IMO. It's not ideal for all situations, and that is exactly why it can be an option.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts