141 - 160 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
bro, you have a 4/60 a/c installed from factory, dont make it harder lol

(4 windows down at 60mph)
That roadtrip me and my mate did to pick up the motor has scarred me. That was legit the hottest i've ever been in a vehicle, you just cant escape the sun with this much glass 😂

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI, 95 Civic HB CX
2,292 Posts
That roadtrip me and my mate did to pick up the motor has scarred me. That was legit the hottest i've ever been in a vehicle, you just cant escape the sun with this much glass 😂
Had me dying laughing!

Tell me that wouldn't be the most badass chicken/meats rotisserie cooker, a wagon converted to cook foods.... all that glass to show off the slowly rotating meats.... mmmmm

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
2,479 Posts

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
2,479 Posts

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Merry crimbo D fam. (and happy 1000th post).

Hoping to get this project wrapped up over the break (or at least, driveable). TBH, not that much left that needs doing so i need to pull my finger out.

Replaced the RTA bushes with Hardrace:

New wheel cylinders and shoes:

New drums:

Anything to do with the rear trailing arms is usually a PITA and this was no exception, drums suck.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
So i recapped the whole head unit that i picked up and the problem with the audio quality is still the same. SOB. Anyway, i had an old JVC head unit which i bought back in '05 which i still don't mind the look of. I'll install that for now and maybe come back to the other head unit if i have the time or the inkling.

Audio harnesses are one of my biggest pet peeves, they're always ghetto AF. Originally i had a shop fit this head unit into my first ED, and i still had the 'harness' they made. I wish i took a pic actually, it was such a mess. Every wire had two sets of bullet connectors on it, and when i tried to pull the connectors apart the wires fell out of the back of the connectors lol. Anyway i needed to make a new one because i'm fitting an amp too, the wagons have a perfect little spot behind the glovebox so i made a bracket and fitted it up in there:

I still cracked the old headunit open and soldered the bluetooth unit onto the board so that now when i change the source to AUX, it streams via bluetooth. My new harness:

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Finished off the audio install, the bluetooth connectivity is so awesome. Also got my interior reinstalled, and drove it out for the first time in nearly a year :love:

Was good to get it washed up

And then tucked back away again lol

Feels so good to have it mobile.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI, 95 Civic HB CX
2,292 Posts
Dude, I don't understand... that red bucket must be filled with Armor All....

Its not that the glass and panels are super clean and reflective, its that the rest of the planet can't physically touch it due to a protective barrier of some kind....

WHAT IS THIS WITCHCRAFT?!

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,839 Posts
And now I can't unsee the single bulb headlights.................and clear corners.............AHHH!!!!!!!!!!

JDM take my money..........

sheesh

• Haha
Reactions: EFB055

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've lived with the wago for a few months now and got to know it's flaws and figure out what my goals are with it. I've decided i want to spec it similarly to a RTI trim (same spec as my white sedan) which means EFI, 1.6L and electric everything. The factory carb setup is suffering from the typical cold start issues that are starting to plague ED's over here, and it really needs the extra displacement of the 1.6 (currently 1.5) to get it moving.

So i've started hoarding parts and will dive into the conversion in the coming weeks/months. So far i found a set of CRX alloys for it, which were actually a factory option for the wagon, and i think they look mint:

Over the christmas break me and my mate road tripped back down interstate to pick up a motor from a Concerto that another mate was wrecking (pictured here in his shed... only pic i have of it lol):

These come with a d16z3 which is basically a D16a6 but with a unique head casting that has provisions for a mechanical fuel pump which is left unmachined (because they're EFI). They're good for 88kw/120hp, which i think is a little higher rated compared to the US d16's because they came with a high flowing 4-2-1 header. Trouble is, my wagon has the 4-1 header which would mean it would be rated the same as the US's D16a6 108hp, because Concertos high flow header does not clear the RT transfer case. Luck was on my side however, as an RT specific 4-2-1 factory header popped up on Yahoo auction japan which shifts the 2-1 assymetrically to one side to clear the gearbox and boost power by +12hp.

I borrowed a trailer and we hit the road, of course it felt poetic to take the wagon on the adventure to pick up it's new heart:

Before we left i checked over the coolant lines, the timing belt and water pump and everything looked mint. Despite being nearly 40°C it did the 7 hour trip down without a hiccup. I parked it up next to another mates ED sedan that he bought for 100 bucks haha:

Wasn't long after that we pulled all the bits out of the Concerto:

Having a hoist certainly makes short work of things. It's a shame these Concerto's are mostly used as parts cars here, they're actually quite well built compared to the ED. Far more solid feeling, and unique. Anyway, loaded UP:

Tell you what, loaded up with 2 people on board and a boot full of parts, this little 1.5 was working HARD hahaha.

Also there is SO MUCH GLASS in these little things, you can literally not escape from the sun. I brought along a bunch of rags to use while we were ripping the motor out, and we ended up wearing the rags because they were long sleeves and protected our arms from the sun lol. AC + tint is going to be a must when this thing gets back on the road.

Anyhow, watch this space as i start cleaning up the motor and getting the bits together to swap her in.

I like that car! Great story on it too! Looks like such a fun project.The alloy wheels look great compared to the ones it came with. How the heck did a mechanic tell you the engine was blown and not check oil level!? Maybe it just caused him too much stress when it stopped running and he just through his hands up. Did he seam suprissed when you got it running and drove it away?

141 - 160 of 185 Posts