Honda D Series Forum banner
81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
youre not going to pressure test the tank?
I've got a vacuum pump that i could throw on it which would make sealing it up easier than a positive pressure. I was a bit worried about the tank collapsing though. Not really sure what kind of pressure is enough to check, but not enough to accidentally collapse the tank.

Never used one personally, but pretty sure in North America they are called "cock" rings.
I cut a few spares, hmu.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,357 Posts
pull enough to see if it holds lol. hate for you to do all this work, throw it in, and waste 20$ in fuel on your driveway lol

Reactions: drtalon123

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
2,083 Posts
Never used one personally, but pretty sure in North America they are called "cock" rings.

Couldn't fucking help myself lol :)
thought I missed something had to go back over his posts. Jeez making me read more than I have to ..

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
pull enough to see if it holds lol. hate for you to do all this work, throw it in, and waste 20$ in fuel on your driveway lol

While i was thinking about how i'd pressure it, i sprayed the poo brown goo black:

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
794 Posts
It should pretty easily hold 10 psi, or 10 inhg vacuum. The CA evap test subjects these tanks to those pressures/vacuums regularly. Had it not been cleaned, cut, then welded I'd recommend an inert gas like nitrogen or CO2 to pressurize with and a brushless vacuum pump to pull vacuum with, but you should be fine.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 · (Edited)
It should pretty easily hold 10 psi, or 10 inhg vacuum. The CA evap test subjects these tanks to those pressures/vacuums regularly. Had it not been cleaned, cut, then welded I'd recommend an inert gas like nitrogen or CO2 to pressurize with and a brushless vacuum pump to pull vacuum with, but you should be fine.
I didn't know that, thanks! I had a google, and it looks like they pressurise to 10inH20 not inhg, which is actually 0.5psi.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
794 Posts
Maybe it's only at the smog ref they take it to those extremes? I'll have to ask, I've never paid attention at the actual smog shop, hes one of the 3 people around I dont have to watch like a hawk to make sure something doesn't go stupid.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Decided to just yolo and give it a go. Crazy how much the tank expands under pretty low pressure so i didn't push it that much, but i didn't really need to. All the welds held up fine, and the compression height of the pump gasket is perfect with the new stud ring. Lucky i tested the tank though, the vent port had somehow become blocked (line that goes to the very top of the tank to vent air when you're filling it up), hooked up my gun to it at 40psi and it was completely blocked. Cranked the pressure to 90 psi and blew out whatever was blocking it. Probably the same fkn spider that was blocking my fuel lines in the track POS if anyone remembers that.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
So many shitty jobs in this EFI swap, Saturday i spent making up a return line. I ended up using the Concerto line and bending it to contour the rear half of the car. From:

to

and

to

It also took me longer than i'd admit to figure out the routing for the evap/emissions lines. Because it was a combination of carb/EFI it took a solid hands on hips staring session to figure out what went where. Hopefully this pic helps anyone else doing this swap, the two ports with caps on them are welded internally (not just capped at the port):

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,413 Posts
Hahaha! So glad to see that I'm not the only one on here who will occasionally spend way too much time making something be as perfect as I want it to be, but then other times I just say, too heck with it and send it. Too many little things that need doing and not enough hours in the day to do them. All the fuel tank work looks great though!

Reactions: drtalon123

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Did you use a knock out bit to roll the edge? Or is that just the angle the picture is at?
After i cut the hole i used a socket and a ball peen hammer (ghetto dimple die) to roll the edge. The grommet i used is the wire harness grommet right where the dash harness goes through the dash near the clocks connector, so the gap between the inner/outer flangers was about 2mm (the thickness of the plastic section of the dash). The sheet steel thickness was about half that so i needed to roll the edge to increase its thickness so the grommet would sit snug and seal correctly.

Hahaha! So glad to see that I'm not the only one on here who will occasionally spend way too much time making something be as perfect as I want it to be, but then other times I just say, too heck with it and send it. Too many little things that need doing and not enough hours in the day to do them. All the fuel tank work looks great though!
Chars! Yeah this build is somewhere between my other two builds, im super fussy with the EF, while the track pos is just fast and loose.
When things get too fast and loose though @slo_eg8 guilts me into doing things properly.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
I got the bluetooth dongle wired inlieu of the cassette input and it streams great off my phone now, but the sound quality from the head unit is really garbage. I did some research and sounds as if a capacitor may have gone bad.

This is the main cap near the internal amp, i'm going to try replacing that and seeing if it brings it back to life. If not i might have to send it away for a resto by someone who knows what they're doing.

I was really hoping to get my dash back in this weekend. Started by cleaning up the HVAC system, and installed the wiring harness onto the dash.

Nasty.

This was a real bummer, at first i thought that this was just dust and hair, but when i pulled it apart i realised it was leaking/congealed freon.

If i was in the US i'd just buy a 50$ replacement from Rockauto and be done with it, but these are mirrored for left/right hand drive and rockauto doesn't stock rhd units. So i cleaned it instead:

I believe i found the culprit, one of the seals leading into the TX valve:

I thought id test the TX valve as well while i had it apart:

Has anyone ever bench tested one of these before? I thought if i'd place the sensor bulb into the ice slurry then i'd see the valve shut off, but i couldn't get it to close and now i don't know if my test method sucks or if the valve is busted.

So i didn't get my dash in. rip.

81 - 100 of 139 Posts