Honda D Series Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
Discussion Starter #22
:poop:

Spent the remainder of the weekend pulling the fuel tank out and rinsing it out. It's carby (so no in tank fuel pump), I'm going to pillage a DA tank that i've got laying around and try and hybrid a solution. Kinda nervous to take an angle grinder to a fuel tank, how many times would you guys rinse it out and how long would you leave it air dry for? Haha.

Maybe next pic i post wont have any eyebrows.

Registered
93 Civic HB SI
:poop:

Spent the remainder of the weekend pulling the fuel tank out and rinsing it out. It's carby (so no in tank fuel pump), I'm going to pillage a DA tank that i've got laying around and try and hybrid a solution. Kinda nervous to take an angle grinder to a fuel tank, how many times would you guys rinse it out and how long would you leave it air dry for? Haha.

Maybe next pic i post wont have any eyebrows.
I've used a few can of brake clean before to spray fresh solvent down in there to absorb the old gasoline, drain what you can of the liquid, then place an old computer fan over the hole blowing (brushless, so no sparky) and let the breeze evaporate and push any fumes out the filler neck.

Let that run for a few hours, then grind and cut away!

BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
soapy water, dish soap and a water hose. fill till it pours out.
let sit for a few minutes
drain
turn on air compressor and let it run for an hour, just blowing air in the tank.

safe

Reactions: EFB055

Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for the tips. I'll probably let it sit in the sun with all the holes opened up for a week or so just to be double safe after rinsing with soapy water. I love reading forum posts about welding to fuel tanks, it's 50% "She'll be right, i welded on a fuel tank that was still half full - no worries do it all the time", and 50% "I rinsed it out 100x and it blew up and i died".

It's not ideal, but farout.. The alternative is to find someone who would ship a tank from the US.

hahahaha

in all honesty, soaking in soapy water would be your best bet, since fire departments do it lol.

the compressed air or massive continued air flow would rid it of any "fumes"

if youre still worried, baking soda when you decide to do whatever spark throwing thing you plan on doing

Reactions: EFB055

Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
Holy:poop:, thats beautiful! Can't wait to see this driving again 馃槏

21 - 32 of 32 Posts