Honda D Series Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
still pissed off at you for all the no rust old cars,,they don't even have cracked windshields, wtf ,crazy world..
There's plenty of shitboxes getting around, i just don't take pictures of them hahaha.

Actually, i lie. I took this pic in South Africa earlier in the year, right before the borders closed:

The longer you look the worse it gets...

Awesome to see that you're using a DOHC ZC (y) Love the build.
They're great bang for your buck over here, everyone rips them out of CRX's to go B, so they can be had for nothing... And i'm kinda fond of the big D

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,440 Posts
still pissed off at you for all the no rust old cars,,they don't even have cracked windshields, wtf ,crazy world..
Its because the trees down there drip Armor All for sap....

Seriously, I have no idea how this guy comes across such beautiful old finds, then tends to them with full restores :)

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
It makes me think that when you prime it, the rail has pressure, but then its just running off that pressure and dying... We've got a fuel pressure gauge we'll hook up and see what it says. Then i guess i'll do a continuity checkover on the engine harness... Anyone got any other ideas to throw out there?
So we threw the fuel pressure gauge on, the feed line has pressure when it primed, and maintained pressure while it ran and died. I pulled the return off and we primed again, and the damn thing was dry. I figured we must've left on a protective cap or something in the fuel filter which was between the pressure gauge and the return line. We pull it apart and find that the banjo bolt that attaches to the end of the fuel rail was jam packed full of spiders and insect nests/eggs.

Pulled the rail and inspected the injectors to see if any stray crud had flowed through but it all looked good. Slapped it back together and it now runs mint!

What a dumb problem lol. Also had a visitor:

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,116 Posts
so many mixed emotions.

at first I was

but then I

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Dropped in to have a beer the other weekend and things are nearly finished up with this thing. There's a track day coming up on the 7th of Feb that we're hoping to be at. Since last time i was there, my mate had fabbed up an exhaust, inspired by the Realtime Racing team's prelude 1/2 exhaust:

The RTR prelude exhaust for reference lol:

All we really need to do is mount the rear sway bar and finish fitting the CRX dash.

Took a couple of pics of the track pos next to my mates minty ED.. Love the cappuccino brown:

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Spent the weekend tidying things up, fitted a DA rear swaybar:

Got the interior finished up, still will probably put some block off plates in the gaping holes where the radio and HVAC used to be:

Went to give it a quick alignment and noticed one of the steering rack boots was torn in half, but it was ripped right behind where it passes through the subframe so somehow we missed it, so we swapped that over.

Also fitted a DA lip and dragged it outside:

Took it for a quick spin around the block and everything seems to be working ok. It's probably going to be both the loudest and slowest car on the track.

Was so satisfying washing off 18 months of dust.

Next week my mate is taking it to get an alignment, and to hit up a weigh bridge to see how we went with our weight reductions. I've been keeping track of what we've taken out and put back in, and assuming the car was 1020kg (2250lb) to start with according to the brochure, i reckon we'll land around 940kg (2070lb). Super keen to see though.

Looks like we're locking in the track day on the 7th of Feb as it's debut. It's an all day session with general practice until lunch, then timed laps until the evening. I've got a few mates running Honda's around there so keen to see what we can get out of this thing.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I didn't get up there to help out, but my mate took the car to get a wheel alignment and dropped by the weighbridge to get it weighed in.

I could hardly believe it, it came in at 862kg / 1900lbs. That's still with running full doors/glass and power steering.

I've already planned to pinch the power steering setup for the wagon, so we should see the weight drop by another 12kg or so once we swap the wagons manual rack in.

While the wheel alignment was getting done, we also decided to swap off the tyres we had originally planned to run (Kumho HS51s) which are an ok street tyre that we just had spare, to a set of RS3's which are a much higher performance tyre.

Also had a friend in his DA9 book into the same track day, so i'll be keen to see how they compare.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
Saturday night we put in those few finishing touches to get it 'finished' off, installed an OEM airbox and ran some lines for the PCV, thought it'd be cool to do a before/during/after montage lol:

Loaded up and ready for an early start:

It was outrageously hot, it was 37*C for most of the day (100*F), even though it was fairly reasonable in the week leading up, but at least the pit bays were under cover:

A mate brought out his DA too which was cool, because there wasn't any other Hondas there, just a whole heap of FT86's and Hyundai Excels (there's a club event for those excels..)

Me and my mate scissor paper rocked for the first drive, which i lost.. So i grabbed my DSLR and took some pics instead:

It's first session went good, my mate had gone fairly easy because we had to bed in the brakes. He mentioned too that it seemed to pull to the right under braking and felt pretty sketchy, so i jumped in for my sesh. He wasn't wrong about it being sketchy AF under brakes, hard braking required a quarter turn of opposite lock to keep the car straight, but besides that, it was soo much fun. The short ratio box was perfect for this track, and the big D was keeping up with most of the other 4/6cylinder things on the straights,

After a couple of sessions it turns out the issue with the braking was just the pads taking ages to bed in, by the 3rd session the cars braking was incredible, pulling up straight and strong with no fade all day. The motor also felt strong, and the cooling system didn't have any issue regulating temp.

Pretty successful day overall for the POS, couple of things to look at in the future, I was getting fuel surge by the end of the day on about half a tank, so obviously the drop in tank method that we went with didn't work as well as we'd hoped, the shifter bushes are sloppy AF so i might look at turning up some aluminium bushes for it so we don't accidentally miss shift, and looking at the pics i took, it appears the wheels are sitting really far back in the wheel arches under heavy brakes, so might need to replace the caster bushes.

Unfortunately my mate in the DA came off on one of the last sessions and destroyed two of his rims on the edge of the track which took the fun out of things a little. But luckily he's got a tonne of spare parts so hopefully if something is bent he can get it fixed up soon and make it back out with us next time.

I got some Go pro footage too, so once i get it off the camera i'll post it up.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Here's a dumb little thing we spent some time on. The shifter linkage bushing was some ovalled out sloppy bushing that made the shifter have tonnes of play, so my mate measured up the linkage hole, and i turned up some aluminium (aluminum for you US guys :p) to replace it with:

Got another track day planned on the 13th of March :D

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Big POS weekend last weekend. We hit the track on Saturday first thing, it was forecasted to be 35°C/95°F and showers but ended up being a little cooler luckily - and the rain stayed away. It started off real foggy though:

The car was running strong, but under brakes it has a tendency to wander and squirm quite a bit. I repositioned my GoPro this time so I could actually see me in it as well as the track and i can see that under brakes I'm steering quite a bit to keep the car straight. Didn't feel like a huge deal though. My mate had a decent off on the first (and fastest) corner and ended up deep in the gravel:

The dust and gravel literally gets EVERYWHERE haha. We had to lift the car and take all the wheels off to clear the rocks out of the brake calipers and remove all the splash shields to empty the rocks out. This was the power steering rack cover:

There was a lot of cool cars out there which made it interesting to watch between sessions. There was also a 4age swapped KE70 which was fun to play with on track, and on my last session i was hanging with (and being held up by...) a new GR Yaris. He wasn't really pulling on the straights, but i was noticeably braking later and carrying more corner speed. I think he ran a 1:05.5 lap and my PB for the day was a 1:04.9

But yeah, the POS survives another track day:

The Sunday we spent pulling out the power steering rack and putting in the manual rack that you might have seen me take out of my wagon last weekend on my wago build thread:

We weighed up the power steering rack/lines/pump/brackets etc and it came to 29.9.kg/65.9lbs. The manual rack we put in weighed in at 11.17kg/24.6lbs. That brings our kerb weight down to ~843kg/1858lbs

While we had the car up swapping the racks over, we disconnected the radius rod arms from the front LCA to make it easier to manoeuvre the subframe out and noticed a tonne of play on the drivers side. Turns out the RH radius rod bolt in the front cross member was loose and about 10mm/0.5" from being tight :/. We hadn't taken that off at all and just overlooked it completely. Oh well, i'm guessing that'll probably solve the instability problems we were having under brakes.

My mate and I were thinking about our weight reduction and our choice to run DA brakes and knuckles. The brakes are great and have heaps of power, but I wonder if we went back to the ED front knuckle and caliper (240mm instead of 260mm) if they would still perform OK. Anyone have experience with circuit racing ED's with stock 240mm brakes on the front? There's a 6kg weight saving to be had by going back to the smaller brake setup.

I'll have some GoPro footage up in the next few days.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Found this while in a junkyard one day on an imported base model shitter. I'd completely forgotten about it until it crossed my mind recently while trying to think of ways to shed weight. Now that we're not running power steering, it'll be perfect:

Hellooo 2kgs. "bUt ItS nOt DaMpEneD". I know, but the motor we're running was free, and we have a spare, also it was on a Honda motor from factory... sooo YOLO. Would be great if i could find a cheap light flywheel to complement.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
We ended up swapping in that manual rack last weekend and getting the wheel alignment done. Next track sesh is still a few weeks away though, looking forward to taking advantage of the cool weather. Every other track day has been 35°C+, meanwhile last weekend didn't get over a rainy 12°C.

Didn't get a chance to weigh it which was lame, but we just ran out of time.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts