Honda D Series Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,237 Posts
man these cars don't exist anymore in this country :(...
still jelly of the shed but it would be a little thin here..

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Pretty decent weekend on the pos last weekend. We bought some dry ice and took up all the sound deadening:

It was hot AF, and we used about 4kg of the stuff. I also managed to accidentally lay on it at one point and now i look like i've been branded, lol. The floor came up great though:

We decided that we'd run the front half of the carpet so it didn't feel like a complete POS:

We weighed the insulation that we took out, and including the rear half of the carpet we removed a little over 5kg's. Which, tbh is more than i thought it would weigh. We're planning on running a harness too, so i removed the stock seatbelts which were a little over 1kg each and a couple of rear trim pieces which added up to a total of around 10kg.

We've got a seat lined up too from my mates yellow EG which some of you have probably seen from my build thread, but I didn't get a chance to grab it before i head over... So we'll probably work on fitting that next time.

Besides the insulation, we also finished up the motor so it's ready to get installed. This motor is a bit of a parts bin special, we're piecing it together from various bits and pieces i had left over from old motors and builds, so there's a couple of bits and pieces we had to fix to get it to run properly:

It's running an OBD1 intake manifold, and the TB is supposed to run an FITV, so i had to make a blanking plate to block the vacuum port:

The alternator was also OBD1 which means it runs a 4 rib pulley which would be fine because the back spacing is identical, but the clearance between the alt and the shock tower is tight in the ED chassis, so we swapped the pulleys over to the 3 rib pulley from the oem d15.

Checked and set the valve lash, which was pretty bang on and installed the PS pump which we ended up deciding on keeping.

We're not running any of the HVAC system behind the dash, so we welded the port closed from the Tstat housing to the heater core:

The hoist is mostly installed, still have a couple of bits to do on it, but hopefully next time it'll be finished off and we can get it up and sort out the fuel tank, because trying to sort it out on the floor sucks.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
How does the dry ice work? The result looks good.
it cools it solid so it chips off instead of peeling and leaving behind residue
Yep. Once it's cooled it stops sticking to the floor, tap it with a hammer and it fractures like glass and doesn't leave any sticky residue.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Couple of updates. Picked up a sparco seat that my mate had been using, shown here sitting on my workshop stool which makes it look like one of those tacky office chairs haha:

Also picked up this section to weld in to replace the auto trans tunnel section:

We had a couple of bits to rip off the DA first:

Then it was time to get the POS on the hoist:

My mate mark had been working on converting the carby fuel tank to EFI, the carb sedan tank doesn't have a built in swirl pot, or the hole for the fuel pump. So we cut out the hole, lasercut the flange you see here: and welded up a stainless swirl pot to lower the pump into:

While he was working on that i was working on installing the EFI engine harness which went fine, but it's just time consuming splicing everything into the factory cabin loom.

We installed the tank, and that was about it. Crazy how fast time can fly...

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,403 Posts
all that sand, every day its a blast lol

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Had a decent weekend on it last weekend, we got the two transmissions apart and swapped the SOHC final drive into the DOHC box for a super short gear set which should liven things up a bit.

The inside of the box was actually super clean. I'm guessing it'd been apart before. Synchros looked ok, about the same as the SOHC box which i know shifted good.

Ended up getting bogged down on a couple of dumb things for a while. First off, we used a SOHC sump because the motor we're using didn't come with a sump, so we pinched one off the silver parts car. Now the header juuuust kisses the sump before the flange seats, so dumb:

As you can see, we tried shaving down the booger welds off the OEM manifold and it still kisses it. We'll probably try and cut/shut them back together to angle them slightly away from that side for clearance.

We also got a spare DOHC ZC donated to the cause by a mate who had it sitting around. It came with a DA1 gearbox (marked CG) which we're not going to use. Does anyone know anything about these boxes, or if they're useful for anything?

I took these pics if anyone is interested, it looks like it would bolt up to the 3rd gen ZC if you tapped the starter hole in the gearbox, and didn't feel bad about running 4 out of 5 bellhousing bolts, otherwise the dowels and other holes line up perfect:

Anyway, we got the motor in:

The SOHC powersteering hard line is bent from factory in such a way that it juuuuust wont mount onto the DOHC motor, the fitting is the same, but the line wants to occupy the same space as the powersteering bracket, so we had to mess around with that for a bit to get it to work. Eventually though it bolted up.

My mate mark also whipped up these sweet mounts for the factory rails:

Was really hoping to finish the harness off, but we ran out of time. Only managed to wire up the reverse lights which were missing because it's an auto chassis...

I feel like we're getting close though!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,403 Posts
fuck your passengers

use the seat belt mount locations and triangle off

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,434 Posts
The "CG" trans can be made to work with the newer style motor. Bisi used to run one on his D15 powered CRX. A former member on here also took pics of it and was posted on RPR, Red Pepper Racing. We both dynoed our cars, on separate days, back in September 1998 @ Dave's Honda Haven in Memphis, TN.

(trying to jog my memory banks)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,434 Posts

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The "CG" trans can be made to work with the newer style motor. Bisi used to run one on his D15 powered CRX. A former member on here also took pics of it and was posted on RPR, Red Pepper Racing. We both dynoed our cars, on separate days, back in September 1998 @ Dave's Honda Haven in Memphis, TN.

(trying to jog my memory banks)
Our CRX's here all have the bigger diff L3 boxes, so i reckon i'll probably only be able to sell it to someone with a 3G civic or early DA. I doubt anyone else would be bothered to make it work in an EF. Pretty interesting that it could be used in a pinch though.

Both are also quite bad for spinal compression in an accident, but look nice.
Yeah i keep reading that, which is a shame because that would be the easy option!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts