Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd ask the question here in addition to my showcase thread...

I dismantled my main shaft today, and when comparing my stock 4th gear and the DOHC 4th gear, it seems they have the same ID.
From the pictures (which turned out bad... seems the camera focused on the background),
can you tell me if this seems like a correct assumption, or am I way off?

Also, the spacer collar from the two trannys are different. I suppose I need to reuse my stock one? Or is it matched to the gear?
As you can see, the hight of them is not the same. The tall one is form the DOHC ZC tranny.

Transzex, Bense, I'd appreciate some answers from you, as you have done this many times before.
I am looking at the correct parts right? Could it be they are just different from the JDM ones?
I counted the teeth, and got the correct ratios. I can recount them and wright down the results later.
My memory isn't good enough to remember all those numbers, sadly...

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I assembled the shafts, and I feel certain that the above information is correct.
I would like some comments though :TU: Seems the European "ZC" is perfect to swap gears from :D

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,796 Posts
S20 4th on the right, PL3 4th on the left.........

Why would the ID's be different?????

now explain what you are doing trying to fit those into a Alfa tranny........

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I don't quite follow now...
One of the sets came from the D16A9 engine, which is an European version of the DOHC ZC.
I counted the teeth, and 4th has the 1.033 ratio.

Now, when you American guys use the DOHC ZC 4th, you grind the inside of the gear, to be able to slide it onto the collar, right?

And not to sound stupid, but what did you mean by an Alfa tranny?

·
Registered
949 Posts
hydro collar goes with the hydro trans.

for the shift interlock bolt, i never even take that thing out. I use a 8mm allen wrench on the bolt on the clutchside of the clutch housing, and then use a 10mm socket on that little bolt. That's the only thing I do there.

You MUST modify the zc hydro 4th gear. This is the inside of a cable 4th gear:

here is a cable 3rd gear:

The inside of a cable 3rd gear is like the inside of a hydro 4th gear. Notice the orientation of the 88-91 synchro hub in comparison to the 92-00 synchro hub. For whatever reason, honda flipped it over.

Ironically, you would think that using a hydro 3rd gear as a hydro 4th gear would require the same modification that using a cable 4th gear as a hydro 4th gear. But take a look at that slightly machine vx 3rd of 1.0666 that mista bone did for me. Using a hydro 3rd as 4th gear requires no modification***

*** I have also come to realize that a hydro 3rd gear is SLIGHTLY taller than 4th gear. I forget the dimensions. But what happens is when you get the transmission running, the 4th gear actually "machines" the 4/5 collar. On my trans it blued the collar from the heat. Aside from the appearance this seems to have no adverse effect. The shavings from the collar will get caught by the transmission magnet. If you'd like, you can change transfluid after 100 miles.

Reactions: s_18
1 - 6 of 6 Posts