Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to get a differnent wiring harness to put it on my y7. Im wanting to put a y8 head on it first or should i just go with the whole y8 swap?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
its not going to run right with the y7. mini me would yield the best results if using the management that edelbrock provides as you would be using the y8 ecu (sorry, the code is slipping me right now). now if you convert to obd1, you can tune the ecu around the set-up for a less conservative set-up as it would be from edelbrock. this is the route i would suggest.

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
3wire to 2 wire IACV and you will need to source a IACV from a y8 also gonna need the TB rotor off a y8 or the whole TB off a y8

then obd2a/b to obd1 p28 chipped then get a tune

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
its not going to run right with the y7. mini me would yield the best results if using the management that edelbrock provides as you would be using the y8 ecu (sorry, the code is slipping me right now). now if you convert to obd1, you can tune the ecu around the set-up for a less conservative set-up as it would be from edelbrock. this is the route i would suggest.
thats what i would do

·
Registered
938 Posts
I had the edelbrock kit on my 98 y8 for almost 2 yrs. Its a great kit. I got it when I was learning alot about forced induction. I was able to get one new for 2800. I don't think I would have ever paid anymore than that. I just wanted to be able to buy all quality parts that I knew I could put together in a short period of time. And it was priceless to be able to call the tech line at edelbrock and speak to someone who designed and built the kit with any problems I came into.

If I could do it over I would have just pieced together a kit. I thought I would be happy with 200whp daily driver. I got to that and had a blast but always wanted more. Now I'm at the point were I have a built motor and a turbo kit Im going to end up parting out to be able to reach my new goals.

If you want to stay emissions legal and still have a great daily driver the kit is awesome. If you want to take it any farther than what you get out of the box it gets tricky. I have the device to change the base tune you get from edelbrock but its a bitch to work with.
It can be done with the tuning module from link ecu but its alot easier to just convert to obd1 and go with a p28 tuned on crome or whatever you prefer. Thats what I ended up doing. Just my 2 cents. just do alot of research and realize what you really want out of your project. Good luck man

·
turn up tha boost !
1,193 Posts
I like my Edelbrock kit

I've had it a few years
now
I want more

I'm building my engine (hopefully this weekend) and will be running the stock kit till I can afford a tuning solution. I will probably go w/ the link module, short-term.

Then I want a bigger turbo
Then I'll want AEM, HondaData, or somethin

beware tha bug

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I actually have the kit forsale on another forum atleast for a couple more weeks. The GF dont want me to put it on the car but I have my fingers crossed that it dont sell. I know about that BUG

·
Registered
442 Posts
on the edelbrock kit (sorry for the stupid question) is it already ready to go?

i'm going to rebuild my motor and just use vitara pistons with stock rods, if i bought that Edelbrock kit could I just bolt it on and go? Would I have to have it tuned or would it already be pre-tuned i guess you could say.??

I know my stuff about the actual engine, but when it comes to the electronics i know absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
938 Posts
You can just run the kit. They have a decent tune. Its not the most ideal setup, But you can safely run the kit stock or with a few more bolt ons with the tune you get out of the box. I had no problems in over a year on my 98. I prob had 10k miles on it and no complaints. The most ideal thing IMO would be to either get a used kit and convert to obd1 if you like all the other aspects of that kit but the fuel and tuning will limit you out of the box. Or just build up a kit or look into several of the great companys on this site.

·
Registered
279 Posts
rebuild it with vitara's
bolt the kit
and if you jus rebuild it then you can run the piggyback instead of any tuning

·
Registered
442 Posts
rebuild it with vitara's
bolt the kit
and if you jus rebuild it then you can run the piggyback instead of any tuning
Well im a college kid and i'm on a strict budget, so i wanted to do as followed:

1.) rebuild with oem parts except for vitara pistons and a copper head gasket
2.) a good sturdy clutch
3.) That edelbrock kit

I want to be able to drive it 50k miles if I want to without a worry. I'm looking for about 200 hp, just for a DD.

What about a greddy kit? What their setup?

I would piece mine together but I seriously dont know the first thing about tuning.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts