Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its the absolute perfect kit for what my needs are. (just looking for like 160-170 hp no higher ever)

Just looking to up my DD for alittle more fun

Brand new the kit is like $3400 I believe? I found a kit used for $1500 plus shipping. Only thing missing is the Oil drain pan adaptor the kit comes with and a couple couplers for the IC piping.

Is this a good deal? very little shaft play if any and from the pics everything was well taken care of and looks in good condition.

Should I jump at this price? seems like a good price for a pretty much complete edelbrock kit

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
i think the kit sounds like a good deal, with the couplers, charge piping and oil drain you will still pay less than a brand new kit.

but just let it be known that a used kit will sometimes have its own problems. i would send the turbo out to have it inspected first to make sure that it doesnt need a rebuild or anything (some places will check it out for free or a small charge).

just make sure you go through it very well and if you think it has too much shaft play (mainly in and out shaft play, and when you push up and try and spin it and it doesnt spin then you might be looking at a rebuild... granted you can touch the kit before buying it).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also would a JRSC setup be a good choice for me also? found one for $850 shipped so I would just need some injectors and a obd1 ecu with a tune..

cant decide lol.. SC would be more unique

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
only SC car iv driven was a SC b16.... to say the least i was not impressed at all.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Doesn't the Edelbrock kit come with the GT28R? That's a ball-bearing unit, so it can't be rebuilt. Being as it is the heart of the kit, I'd make sure it's in good shape.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mean could I still get some decent power out of a SC like 40hp? or would a turbo pull better/harder? just looking for alittle pep in my DD nothing serious what so ever keep that in mind

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks so much for your opinion.. nice to see another edelbrock kit.. been searching on several forums and barely even a pic.

everyone keep telling me ill want to up the boost.. lol thats not my intentions just something for a nice DD on a stock motor is all

I will definitely hit you up. Seller is figuring out the shipping on everything for me then all i need to do is buy a few couplers and that oil drain adaptor. (which I LOVE btw) no welding needed which is perfect for me

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Doesn't the Edelbrock kit come with the GT28R? That's a ball-bearing unit, so it can't be rebuilt. Being as it is the heart of the kit, I'd make sure it's in good shape.
Cant be rebuilt? wtf are you talking about?
It cant be rebuilt in 15 minutes like a journal bearing, but it most certainly can be rebuilt.

If you dont know what youre talking about, dont post it like its fact.

·
Registered
del sol
158 Posts
just pice your stuf togeather it will be more reliable (asumeing its a ebay kit you dident specifiy the brand) i bought a t25 turbo for $100 frount mount off ebay for $150 second gen dsm blow off valve $10 sandwhich plate from egal for $25 oil feed line from ebay for $30.. i know i may be a noob at this stuf but just because somthing expensive dosent mean its worth it.....my buddy has a dsm and he just bought a new small 16g $230 it puts out 22 psi im not sure about the flow rate tho. but be smart you can pice a kit togeather thats probibly in my oppion better than any 4 grand kit.

·
Registered
93 EX Coupe
93 Posts
i wouldn't say MORE reliable because that is usually a variable associated with a good tune.

but i would say you could piece together your own kit to get to your power goals cheaper than $1500 I'm sure. since your goals aren't set very high, it shouldn't be hard.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
just pice your stuf togeather it will be more reliable (asumeing its a ebay kit you dident specifiy the brand) i bought a t25 turbo for $100 frount mount off ebay for $150 second gen dsm blow off valve $10 sandwhich plate from egal for $25 oil feed line from ebay for $30.. i know i may be a noob at this stuf but just because somthing expensive dosent mean its worth it.....my buddy has a dsm and he just bought a new small 16g $230 it puts out 22 psi im not sure about the flow rate tho. but be smart you can pice a kit togeather thats probibly in my oppion better than any 4 grand kit.
Hi is paying $1,500 for a srop in kit pretune ready out the box . You cant beat that. And he dud say what brand read the post.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
i say turbo over the sc, but im gonna throw this out there..... have you looked into nitrous, had it on my stock internal d16 and loved it

if you only had enough posts a few weeks ago i had a complete turbo kit that i was letting go for 900 but owell, hope all goes well

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I picked up the Edelbrock manifold, turbo, downpipe, and a few other bits off of here for a great deal. Used it on the stock Y7 in my 96 hatch, and loved the hell out of it. It was a lot of fun, and put down 170 WHP and 140 WTQ on a Dynojet 248C at about 10 psi. (according to the dyno pressure sensor).

Cant be rebuilt? wtf are you talking about?
It cant be rebuilt in 15 minutes like a journal bearing, but it most certainly can be rebuilt.

If you dont know what youre talking about, dont post it like its fact.
Are you privy to some sort of knowledge that happens to go against what is a generally accepted truth? I was under the impression that you generally have to replace the CHRA, at least with a Garrett BB turbocharger.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
the edlebrock kit for the d-series kit doesnt come with a BB turbo. only the b-series one does. but yes, a BB turbo cant be rebuilt in the same sense as a journal turbo. though you do re-use some major components on a BB when your just swap out the CHRA.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
the edlebrock kit for the d-series kit doesnt come with a BB turbo. only the b-series one does. but yes, a BB turbo cant be rebuilt in the same sense as a journal turbo. though you do re-use some major components on a BB when your just swap out the CHRA.
Wrong.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
really? someone should tell edelbrock that then.. as they were the ones i called to ask about it when people started mentioning it.
Look, it s stated on their website, and I have one. Trust me, the turbo is ball bearing.

Maybe the person you talked to didn't know what they were talking about.

EDIT:

http://www.edelbrock.com/sportcompact_new/mc/turbo/turbo_perf.shtml

PERFORMER X STREET LEGAL TURBO KITS
HONDA STREET LEGAL TURBO KITS
Street legal and easy to install, these kits include everything you need to give your car turbocharged performance. No additional tuning is required when used on otherwise stock engines. The Garrett turbo comes preassembled as one unit with a Ni-resist cast exhaust manifold and elbow, inlet oil and water lines for the simplest possible installation. The Garrett ball bearing turbo spools up fast, works with pump gas and still makes over 60% more power than stock. The Edelbrock exhaust manifold and elbow are designed for maximum flow at high velocity.
PERFORMER X STREET LEGAL TURBO KITS INCLUDE:

* Garrett ball bearing Turbo preassembled with exhaust manifold and elbow, including coolant and oil lines.
* A new intake manifold preassembled with secondary fuel rail and four additional injectors
* Preassembled Russell fuel and oil lines with adapters
* Large bar and plate style intercooler with TIG welded cast aluminum end tanks.
* Edelbrock boost gauge by Auto Meter with A-pillar mount pod
* Ceramic coated Turbo piping and high flow air filter
* O-ring sealed compressor inlet/outlet pipe flanges
* All gaskets, adapters and instructions
* TiAL blow-off valve

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Trust me, the turbo is ball bearing.
"If there's an "R" on the end of a model name, this means the unit is ball bearing. So, a GT4294 is not ball bearing; whereas a GT4294R is ball bearing."
i trust no one, honestly.. the part number from a few other sites where you can part some of the pieces from the edelbrock kit lists the turbo as a GT2560 only, not a GT2560R. the b-series ones lists a "R" spec garrett turbo however.

to be real, i dont care one way or the other. why? cause its a tiny bs turbo. not really worth the time as there are other turbos that are better hands down. its a waste of money and time for most. unless you have definite goals, and willing to limit yourself to them, or have to smog the kit is a GIANT waste of time.

edit: btw they list the same info on the b-series kit. which has already been confirmed as having an entirely different turbo from the d-series one. funny side note huh? ;)..

i see marketing strategies own your wallet...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts