Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning the kit for about 3 months now I can say the kit is great. On a scale of 10, I rate this kit a 9. Things I like are the ball-Bering turbo, piping and wiring, tubing, boost gauge, and the computer. Things I don't like are the blow off valve, and the tech support.

Before I installed the kit I did a lot of motor work including lowering my compression a little and put a turbo cam in. The computer that came with the kit is set up for stock. This is where the problems began. After calling Edelbrock for like 1 month straight I finally got the right person on the phone. He told me the "piggy back" computer could be changed and reprogrammed including timing and fuel delivery. I ordered the tuning computer from Link Electro Systems and I can now do what I want to the car, including turning up the boost with out detonation. I am now ready to go to the track for the first time, Sunday at Englishtown, BE THERE! :D

I know there have been a lot of questions about the kit. I am not an expert nor claim to be, but my experiences might be able to help, so ask away! 8) www.cardomain.com/id/rexinre

R

·
0 Posts
How was the reprograming? Easy once you have done it one time?

Can you tell us more regarding the reprograming. I did not know that you could reprogram the piggy back computer. do tell!

I have plans to pickup a Hondata to use with the EDELBROCK TURBO KIT. I think that the Hondata would have more adjustability depending on the Hondata that you get...but what is available to adjust on the piggy back?

Thank you for your time...
Robin

·
Premium Member
18,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The piggyback computer is made by a company called Link Electrosystems. The computer is set for a stock civic ex 96-00 set by Edelbrock. You can go to http://www.link-electro-usa.com/home.html to get your link engine management (tuning) computer. From there you can tune your fuel/ignition curves, map sensor, RPM limit, and many other things. This computer is capable of doing almost anything that the Hondata can do. The tuning computer is only 250$ which is a lot cheaper then any Hondata system, and is real easy to use. Lastly you can get a knock sensor to hook up to the Link, and a wider band O2 sensor. The best part of all this is you get to tune your engine to what you like, and if you don't like it you can change it. With Hondata you have to pay someone else to tune your computer and when you change anything in your motor you have to take it back to them to retune your change. Besides why pay for a Hondata when you already have a computer that is capable of the same thing?

Hope this helps, If I confused you more let me know!

Good Luck
SSG Costa

·
Premium Member
18,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
O' Forgot one thing, the Little white box that came with the Edelbrock kit is called the Turbolink box, Not the Turbo2Link (that is for duel over head cams). You will need to know that when if you order the management computer.

R

·
0 Posts
rexinre - thank you. very "eye-opening" info.

I dont know if I will be altering any air/fuel settings, so having that ability is not a big plus for me. I rather have someone else do that for me. Me scared. hehe

I will look into this option closely...

Robin

A

·
0 Posts
"marauder" on turbod16.com owns the silver civic sponsored by edelbrock. he knows quite a bit about it.

E

·
0 Posts
The Edelbrock kit is a nce complete kit. they have made a great package for the consumer out there.
the thing is, its not for the Super Hardcore guy, but it really works well for the average performance enthusiast that wants just a bit more than the stock engine.

We are Edelbrock distributors as well.. so if any questions. send them this way.

Wil

·
Premium Member
18,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think that statement is exactly true. :evil: Especially with the completely tunable computer and ball bearing turbo it comes with.

Sure it’s got an internal waste gate but so do a lot of kits including the greddy kit. Yeah it’s a complete kit, but you can do just about anything you want with the kit including putting the boost to 20+ with a boost controller.

I consider myself more then just the average performance enthusiast who wants to get a little more horsepower from here to there! Check out my web site and you will see.

It may not be for the "Super Hardcore guy", but neither is the Greddy or Apex kit. On the other hand your telling me that these guys here on this web board aren't "Super Hardcore," most of them know more about these cars and kits then any normal Honda mechanic, and they went to school for it.
:roll:
No further questions!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts