Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with the edelbrock kit or a setup similar to it, i was wondering how the car feels in fifth gear cruising at 65-85mph? Do you have to downshift to maintain speed if there is an increase in elevation or do you simply floor it till boost kicks in to climb that hill? Im asking because i am seriously debating on boosting my ek only because after installing my cruise control i find it very annoying when my car slows down whenever i encounter hills on the freeway. I am pretty set on the edelbrock kit because i live in cali and i want it to be legal. Keep in mind im cruising fifth gear at 3000 rpm so if adding this kit wont help me at this rev range then i might as well not do it...thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I didn't really have to downshift unless I was in a HUGE hurry to get past someone.

I loved that setup. Bone stock D16Y7 with most of the Edelbrock kit, and an EX trans.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet...when did your car start building boost? Im just afraid i wont start building boost till about 4k in fifth gear which is about 1k to late for my needs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cost really isnt the issue. What tranny do you suggest? I have an ex one on there already and my dx one wasnt that much better.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Sweet...when did your car start building boost? Im just afraid i wont start building boost till about 4k in fifth gear which is about 1k to late for my needs.
It started building boost right around 3000 RPM. Strong onset boost was about 3500-3700 IIRC.

IMO, that kit really is perfect for a DD D16. It is damn expensive though if you were to buy it new. I scored the main parts of it for dirty dirt cheap.

I might see if I can dig up the dyno sheet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i know it is pretty pricey but my other option would be a gsr swap and bar it. Probably gonna cost me about the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts