Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking care of the small problems with the build, and this one is turning into a headache.

I have a Performer X intake manifold with a secondary fuel rail attached (edelbrock turbo kit). I bought the kit used and the secondary fuel rail came with no ends. I thought it would be easy to find a couple plugs for it, but google doesn't want to cough it up.

I know the ID is 5/8", but the actual NPT (?) size/thread size is the issue. The goal is to prevent anything from leaking into or out of the secondary fuel rail. Does anyone know the size for the secondary fuel rail fittings?

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
If no one else knows. Take the rail off and Try going to your local lowes,homedepot,etc. And goto the pipe fitting section (located at plumbing)with your rail and start trying npt threads. They should also have plugs.
2x but i remeber the rail beong like a 6an fitting which would be 1/4 ntp.
But as said ^ take it to a place and see what fits.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
i got the rail all bolted up to mine with the injectors in it... but no way to use them. i was gonna just weld each shut then drill and tap for 1/8ths NPT for nitrous jets!! do the same thing!!

·
Registered
7,611 Posts

·
Registered
6,365 Posts

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A 1/2" long M16 x 1.5mm pitch bolt (found it at lowes) wrapped in PTFE tape worked pretty well. I used the link above (thanks cervan, bookmarked) and compared the M16 x 1.5mm.

It appears to have 7-8 threads per half inch which is off a bit compared to the 9 threads per half inch (table lists 18 threads per inch) a 3/8" NPT bolt would have. Without PTFE the threads are a bit loose, but it tightens snugly with PTFE.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
A 1/2" long M16 x 1.5mm pitch bolt (found it at lowes) wrapped in PTFE tape worked pretty well. I used the link above (thanks cervan, bookmarked) and compared the M16 x 1.5mm.

It appears to have 7-8 threads per half inch which is off a bit compared to the 9 threads per half inch (table lists 18 threads per inch) a 3/8" NPT bolt would have. Without PTFE the threads are a bit loose, but it tightens snugly with PTFE.
i would suggest against using teflon tape to seal this connection, it sounds like its an o-ring boss style fitting. If thats the case, take the fuel rail to your nearest hydraulic shop and they should have what you need on hand. Also, if you look at the hole there should be a small taper on the entrance of the hole, that is the seat for the o-ring.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i would suggest against using teflon tape to seal this connection, it sounds like its an o-ring boss style fitting. If thats the case, take the fuel rail to your nearest hydraulic shop and they should have what you need on hand. Also, if you look at the hole there should be a small taper on the entrance of the hole, that is the seat for the o-ring.
Though I don't have a lot of experience in this, it doesn't appear to be o-ring style as the thread starts right from the edge.

Would you still be against using teflon for it? What would you suggest as an alternative? These are the bolts I'm currently using:

·
Registered
35 Posts
So your not actualy useing the rail? Just blocking it off so nothing gets in or out correct?if so i wouldnt c y the bolts you have wont work.. since nothings actualy going thru the rail.Also to me that doeesnt look like an o-ring goes their.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Nope but a copper crush washer does.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
copper crush washer, aluminum crush washer, etc, throw some RTV on the threads and tighten it up. theres no fuel going through it so who cares?

mine are open, and they dont leak under boost. the injectors are "closed" then no powers going through them....

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So your not actualy useing the rail? Just blocking it off so nothing gets in or out correct?if so i wouldnt c y the bolts you have wont work.. since nothings actualy going thru the rail.Also to me that doeesnt look like an o-ring goes their.
Yes, the rail will not be used right now. I would do what Danz suggested but I'm under the gun for my schedule. Tune is next Saturday. I just want to keep the inside nice and tidy for the future.

Nope but a copper crush washer does.
Should I still use teflon as well, or will the copper crush washer seal it good enough? Keep in mind the threads don't appear to be the right thread pitch (close enough to work), but since I can't find a closer match I'm looking for something that will fit the temporary nature of the task.

Edit: @ Danz

Got it. Thanks! I owe ya rep but I gotta spread the luv. On to the next problem...

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
Though I don't have a lot of experience in this, it doesn't appear to be o-ring style as the thread starts right from the edge.

Would you still be against using teflon for it? What would you suggest as an alternative? These are the bolts I'm currently using:

After seeing that, what you need is a banjo-bolt plug, Im not quite sure what the name is, but i would highly suggest just taking the rail over to a hydraulic shop and getting the right fitting. Teflon tape and RTV are things that should never be used in place of the right fitting in important systems.

However you from the looks of it, it looks like you could use those bolts you bought as long as they arent too loose with a set of alumminum or copper crush washers. If they seal correctly, you shouldnt need any teflon tape or rtv to seal. But it also seems like the surface where the washer would sit is a little narrow on one side, that concerns me a little about the sealing quality.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts