Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my first post, hopefully it might be informative hehe:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/sport_compact/manifold_performer.html

About a 2 months ago, I purchased the Edelbrock Performer X manifold and had it installed with a friend about 3 weeks ago. Why I chose this over the Skunk2 is because I have heard so many complaints about fitment issues near the firewall, and the fact that I have never seen any dyno sheets from it.

1. The Performer X manifold does look similar to the Skunk 2 manifold as my friend brought his Skunk2 manifold to compare and contrast both manifolds. The throttle body sits at an angle as well, so if you have a cold air intake, you may have to fabricate it in order to make it fit, but no such problems with a short ram.

2. This manifold is intended to work on all 96-00 Civic EX's, but I am not sure on the D16z6. Edelbrock is in fact going to make a manifold for the D16z6 sometime this summer. The manifold comes with all necessary bolts and hoses, and an intake manifold gasket as well. Skunk2's didn't come with a gasket, instead you were forced to go to your Honda dealer and buy it as my friend have told me.

3. Installation was not all that bad, even though it took us the whole day. But thats because some bolts in the back of my OEM manifold were putting up a good fight and didn't want to come out. So we had to go to my friends house and get his jack, as well as go to Home Depot to purchase some Teflon tape needed for the installation. Also wasted quite a bit of time razoring off my original intake manifold gasket that we pulled. :mad: But overall, the installation went rather smooth.

4. Performance gains: This is no joke as I will tell you that the gains are noticeable from just adding this manifold with only basic bolt ons. Even my friend felt it hehe. I would guess maybe a 5whp gain. I only have a generic cold air intake, 4-2-1 header, and 2.25" w/ 2.25" testpipe as my only performance mods beforehand. The difference is there right above 5700 rpms. Also, it doesn't seem like I lost some of my low end either, in fact, the throttle response is a lot better than when I had my OEM intake manifold. All of this is coming from a 1999 Auto Civic EX, ya auto, bite me. :razz: But that will change this summer as I will do an auto to manual conversion and then boost by the end of the year. I don't know how well this manifold will do in a boosted D16, but my guess would be more gains as Edelbrock includes this manifold with their turbo kits. I'm very pleased with it and can't wait to see how it does when I boost my lil 1.6 this fall.

Edelbrock Performer X = 8/10

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, can't believe I forgot to mention that. I got it for $300 from a friend of mine who sells all kinds of performance parts. You can probably find it around that price, or perhaps even lower.

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
I recommend [email protected] for your best price (he beat 300 for me). In fact he can get good prices on all Edelbrock Parts... Fast shipping too, especially on in-stock items. He also drop ships from manufactureres, so you do not have to wait for him to get the item, and then for him to send it to you.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too late for me, but I've very pleased with the product. Definitely worth the $300 that I paid for. :)

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya the edelbrock performer X is a good product. we have it in our Project CRX as well as our Y8 all motor Civic. good stuff.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,351 Posts
I'll wait on Craigs/GITWIDITS review of the Z6 Edelbrock manifold.

Wait, did I just say Edelbrock Z6 manifold that has yet to be on the market????????

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By the way, does anybody need an OEM D16y8 intake manifold, I got a spare one (duh!) off my car. Willing to let it go for $40 plus shipping for the bare manifold if anyone is interested. Its in very good condition and has about 54,xxx miles on it. ;-)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ya has any dyno'd the difference between a skunk2 and the edelbrock on a y8? i havet met anyone who has dyn'd either car with about the same mods

·
D-series child
326 Posts
SandmansCivic2k4 said:
ya has any dyno'd the difference between a skunk2 and the edelbrock on a y8? i havet met anyone who has dyn'd either car with about the same mods

This thread may be ancient, but I too am interested in the differences.

·
Registered
636 Posts
why those that not fit D16Z6 ?!!?.. when peep are putting OEM y8 IM on D16Z6 !!?

·
Registered
636 Posts
well it is out now for the Z6 and im gonna buy one !

·
Neighborhood Asshole is Back!
02 BMW; 00 Civic EX
1,892 Posts
back from the dead!

haha anywho.. i have it on an auto y8 and i noticed about the same gains...

im turbo now so i dont know what the diff would be with turbo since the im was already on... but supposedly it was made for turbo so should be better.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts