Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I know that I'm new to this board, but I've done some research about these two kits in particular and they both seem to be good. A lot of people have already told me that the Custom Turbo Kit is the best for the buck, but I'm wondering which is the best between these two. The Edelbrock is more expensive, but offers more output. The Greddy is cheaper, and therefore allows you to buy more things to make it faster. Right now I'm stuck between the two and I figured that this is the best place to be looking for the answers.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Check out this thread. There is a lot of sh*t talking, but both of these kits are addressed:
http://d-series.org/viewtopic.php?t=3211&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
I recommend buying a good used setup and then upgrade from there. Edelbrock is good, but very pricey, and the Greddy is very basic. Find a deal on a used kit (basic Greddy, or Apexi) and upgrade it. I got my complete setup for $1800 - Apex'i kit (w/ BB turbo), JohnnyRaceCar fmic 30"x6"x2", SAFC, DSM 450s, Hallman MBC, Auto Meter boost gauge, Apex'i BOV, and charge pipes.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I read that one. It seems that the only real downsides to the Edelbrock kit are the price and the fuel management. I wont be going past factory settings, so the only thing is the price, which I have brought down to 3100 shipped. Is there anyone who can get it for me cheaper than this? I'm sure someone on this board has the hookup! Maybe they can get me a good deal on it.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im biased to the DRAG or REV HARD kits. I like those kits since they have the most potential. We have seen 11/12 sec setups on just Off the shelf turbo kits.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm just going by what I heard about the bad fuel management. The factory fuel management would be fine for me anyway since I only care to run the factory settings. Anyway, I want to get the cheapest price for about 176whp. If I can make the same amount of whp with the Greddy kit by spending less, then I'll do it as i've said before. The only question I have now is, what should I buy with the Greddy kit to ensure that I'll get at least 176 whp, and how much extra time will it take to put it all together?

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts
for the greddy kit, intercooler, charge pipes, blow off valve and gauges. I've also heard that the stock downpipe is just too small. Most opt for a 2.5" one. The 96-00 kit already comes with injectors and the e-manage. Cheapest price I've seen on the 96-00 kit was $1800.

Don't forget that your stock clutch won't last long with a turbo, especially if it already has a lot of miles & might as well replace the flywheel while you are in there.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is that $1800 for everything? If it's just for the kit, I can get the kit for $1700. I've priced everything to about $2700 - $2800. That's the turbo kit, intercooler kit, Greddy turbo timer, Greddy boost controller, and Greddy boost gauge. The only thing is that I'm not sure if that will ensure at least 176whp. Does anyone know for sure about this?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
are you gunna stay at 5.5 psi? if so 176whp is possible but if you up the boost to 8psi you should get 176whp easy!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I need to go to 8psi, I'll do it, but can I do that with just a boost controller? Is it gonna be safe with the injectors that come with the kit? I wont go past 8psi if it will give me the power that I want.

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts
Aaronlee97 said:
Is that $1800 for everything? If it's just for the kit, I can get the kit for $1700. I've priced everything to about $2700 - $2800. That's the turbo kit, intercooler kit, Greddy turbo timer, Greddy boost controller, and Greddy boost gauge. The only thing is that I'm not sure if that will ensure at least 176whp. Does anyone know for sure about this?
As I said 1800 for the kit. Greddy doesn't sell everything in one package. you can't really compare turbo kits by how much power they make.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I'm not comparing them by just price. I want to get the most whp/$ though. I know that the Greddy and the Edelbrock are both good quality so I just want to know which one is the best for the buck.

·
Registered
12,272 Posts
dude ... if you want the best whp/$$ then go homemade .. stop dicking around with these pre fab kits .. for real .. $1900 is not a fucking deal .. never was , never will be .. for your money the best route to take is homemade .. you may have money to blow or whatever .. but seriously .. if aLL you want is 176whp .. u can do that for way under $1000 if you build it right , everyone complains about GReddys E Manage ... and " edelbrocks so called bad fuel management " then build ur own setup and stop worrying about the " weak links " of these over priced pre fab kits ... you can either pay 1900 for gReddy ... 3000 for edelbrock ... or $1500 MAX for a decent home made setup .. go to www.homemadeturbo.com look around and see that 176whp is very realistic .. but do what you want .. its your money im just tired of these " WHICH ONE IS BETTER " posts ... figure out what your long term goal with the car is and build accordingly ...

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, what he said. After all, when you buy a Pre-fab kit your paying alot for the name. Just like buying clothes. Tommy will always be more expensive than some knock off.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, well I understand that you pay for the name as well. I just dont want to spend too much time on it either. I dont really have lots of time, that's a main factor right there.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well then a Kit might be better for you. Homemade does take alot of time.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, that's the main reason why I want to go with a pre fab. Plus it's enough power for me anyway.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts