1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 Hatch
D16Y8
Edelbrock Turbo Kit

The intercooler does not fit. My tuner believes he wll be able to fix it, but I can tell the bumper support brace will have to be cut.

I'm sure other people have gone through this problem with larger intercoolers, but what about people building a DD that are concerned with retaining the OEM safety measures?

I'm interested in how much of a role the bumper brace plays in the deflection of a collision. Will some support bars welded inside the brace be the right type of reinforcement to maintain the original function? Are there any other solutions?

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
Not much. It's a crumple zone. Safety in a crash in a Civic . . . It's a tin can compared to the mondo SUVs that you are likely going to get squished by. Cut the effing bumper support and fit the intercooler. If you are super paranoid, reinforce the support after fitting the intercooler.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
that intercooler will fit just fine under the stock support

i had mine notched on mine though to gett better placement

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that intercooler will fit just fine under the stock support

i had mine notched on mine though to gett better placement
I really don't see how. I'm guessing the 96-98 intercooler is different from the 92-95 version. The top bracket doesn't even line up with anything. I should have test fitted it a long time ago, but thought it would line up with the hole just under the latch mechanism.

make your brackets on the bottom and get rid of one on top i had that same size and it fit fine on mine no notching or cutting
That's a f'ing brilliant idea, and I'd do it except for three problems:

I already painted the intercooler, the charge pipes probably won't fit the intercooler after that mod, and I have a little more than a month to get the car in driving condition.

Just gotta deal with a cut bumper support...I'll get another one from a junk yard some day and do that modification.

·
Registered
138 Posts
bumper was easy... took me 30 min with good dremil... i cut the fins out and the out sides around the fins that part was easy... the fog light holes i had to cut it smooth and then make a moon shape for pipe to fit in place but i have 2.75 hot pipe and 3in cold
if i could remember my old photobucket id have a better pic but

1 - 11 of 11 Posts