Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So not sure if this should be here or in engine management. But here we go.

If you know me, then you know i run an aem fic with my turbo setup.
It all runs good and dont have any real problems, but one.

It has delay start.
Meaning when i go to crank the car it cranks ,cranks, cranks and then starts. been bugging me for a while, but dealt with it.

The cause of this is the fic intercepts the crank and cam wires. It doesnt send out a crank or cam signal till the fic gets a good one which is why i get the delay. I timed it before it takes about 5-6 seconds to start.

If i bypass the crank and cam wires (remove them from the fic and run it like factory).then the car will crank and start like factory.
BUT then i lose the ability to retard me timing.

See my problem?

So what i want to know is if there is any way i can wire it up so that the crank/cam wires are loop and then hit a switch and then they are ran into the fic.

I thought about just getting a 3 position switch. (out1, in, out2).
In would be out to ecu.
out1 would be in from sensor
out2 would be in from fic output.
I see this working with just normal power wires but from my understanding. the crank wire outputs a square wave of on/off or 5volt pulse. I think the switch may effect that pulse.
Also if the flip the switch while running. wouldnt it cause a miss since the ecu gets no reading for a few millsec.

so trying to get something working. My only other choices are
1. deal with it.
2. go obd1 (dont feel like it since i gotta retune and i hated burning
chips. yea ya rtp but thats extra money
3. Find a standalone boost retarder. (the only thing i found was msd and its btw $500-$700. not something i wanna do.

So yea help lol....

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Can you post better pics of the harness you made for the aem fic?

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you post better pics of the harness you made for the aem fic?
I could but not really. There just all wires up by the ecu.
I thought about it being interference from the other wires but i ran them by themself while testing and it does the same thing.

And what kind of pix are you needing?

It looks like this

Aem fic stock ecu

crank in wire from engine bay crank sensor
craink out ecu pin

cam in wire from engine bay crank sensor
cam out ecu pin

I believe i tape up the crank/cam wires by them self to shield them but i dont think thats the problem its just the fic not seeing the signal till a few cranks.
If i unhook the wire from the fic in and out it to the ecu pin all is great. but of course i cant retard timing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts