Honda D Series Forum banner

ECU tuning questions

Tags
ecu
4K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  JaredKaragen 
#1 ·
Hey guys!
Im going to turbocharge my d16y7 soon and I was wondering about engine management, If i say id buy an P28 socketed and chipped ecu from H-tune. co . uk, Can i plug that ecu to my computer and connect it with Crome or whichever tuning software we use?
Thanks!:eek:nline2long:

#2 ·
Check out the additional things you will need at www.moates.net. they have great service and there are tutorials outlining your different options from basic to (reasonably priced) realtime tuning solutions.

#3 · (Edited)
You need a real time programmer (RTP) like Ostrich which plugs into a socketed ECU in place of the chip and stores the ROM on a chip emulator that’s powered by a little battery. Your laptop plugs into the chip emulator board via USB. That allows you to make changes to the tune without burning and physically swapping chips.

Then, when you’re done with the tune, you burn a chip, remove the RTP, and install the chip.

Or if you’re like me you just leave the RTP in for 8 years and never remove it which will probably work for 10 years until the battery dies.

#4 ·
If you want a cheap easy upgrade to that ecu purchase a low profile ZIF (zero insertion force) socket to push into where the chip goes, makes installation of chips or your emulator cable safer and easy as pie. Mine was 3 bucks and change.

It replaces the pinholes where the legs of the chip go with bladelike openings that clamp shut via a little lever to secure the pins.

#6 ·
Thanks alot, now im wondering if i should go with the DemonV2 or an Ostrich 2.0, i want something good but im only 17yo so I dont have thousands of bucks to spend so it would be good if its not so expensive :)
also do you know by any chance if someone sells these Moates products in the Europe?

#7 ·
Moates stuff ships worldwide, and has been the leader in low cost, diy tuning for like 20+ years. I bought my first moates products way back when i was your age to tune a motor swapped obd1 camaro and still use my original ostrich to this day.

But now I'm on my own, as shops here dont play with crome no mo. Never seen moates in a shop to purchase, its a small business. So I'd probably get whatever is neptune compatible so if after you street tune you want a pro to make the most of it, so they wont scoff at you for using crome

#9 ·
What’s wrong with Hondata? He said he doesn’t have thousands to spend on it, Hondata is like $645 with ecu for boost by gear, just plug up the laptop no burning chips, s300v3 has Bluetooth you can datalog on your phone, and datalogging inputs you just wire right in

#16 ·
get a demon... they are worth it.

I recommend HTS; it is free; and based on eCtune's source.

Hondata is an evil company. They sue their competitors into ruin.

#17 · (Edited)
I've tried getting help from the guys over at RomRaider but they seem kind of elitish at times. I don't fully understand WHERE to start or what increments, seems for anyone to take you seriously you need a firm knowledge of things you can only learn by tuning, and if you get shit wrong with the tune, it's KABOOM. So my Tactrix is relegated to monitoring duties.
Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin

#18 ·
Start with AFR.

do not do anything but control and tune AFR.

Learn how the engine responds and behaves at different AFR increments; 13.5; 12.5; 14.7; 16.0, etc....

when you have all of the oddities fully in grasp from there; begin to increase timing slowly and look up a knock detector or get some det cans to listen....

and above all else:

small adjustments in small places... then try again.

do not make a mass change unless it after a bunch of smaller ones and you are smoothing the map out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.