Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone i searched around and asked around for the last few days about this issue with my ecu, and i wanted to see what you fellow d-series guys think.

A quick intro on my car, 88 hf, y8 swapped, running obd1 off a p28.

The issue: my p28 doesn't show a check engine light when i turn the key before i start the car. There is no signs of a CEL existing with this ecu. I plugged in 3 different p06 ecu's and one from my buddys crx and they all show the CEL before the car starts and when running (tranny sensor due to ecu being auto). It's only with this p28 that it shows not a single sign of a CEL at all. The main answers i have been getting are: ecu is bad and it may be chipped. The car runs perfect not a single thing wrong with it (that i know of, hell my vtec may not engage and i wouldn't know), so that tells me the ECU isn't bad. Now onto the it may be chipped; how would i be able to figure this out? Thanks in advance for any help :TU:

·
Registered
ej2
1,226 Posts
were ya got it from?

i'd worry about the ecu throwing a light while the car is on, than off.

Plug the ecu jumper cable with a stapler and see wat you get.

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well either on or off there is no light. and i touched the 2 wires for the CEL on the jumper and no CEL comes on, that's why it's trippin me out so much.

i got it from a buddy of mine who temporarily used it in his 93 gsr until he could get the right ecu

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anymore thoughts?

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well ill deal with no cel ill just eventually get a new ecu.

My next question, do ecus have a safe mode or something alon tose lines?
The story.
Last night me and my buddy (he was driving my car) were getting on the freeway and we were right next to a diesel trying to merge. He got alll scared and started panicking so i told him to downshift and pass him. So he downshifts like hes never driven a car, he goes from 5th to second! The tach needle bounced off 7k and he put it in neutral so i told him to put it back in third and go.

Now to the question.
The car wouldnt rev past 4k, as it got in that range it kinda bogged and just stayed steady at 4k. Well about a minute or two later it was back to normal.

This has never happened on any honda i've ever owned and was wondering if its some kinda safe mode. Thanks in advance for any info guys :TU:

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you check ya ignition timing with a timing light yet?
No, i know its retarded to hell though. Idk if i really trust myself to try an time it cause if i mess something up ill be up shit creek without a paddle.

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
ej2
1,226 Posts
Turn ya car on, let it get to normal temp.

Clamp the red cord to the red terminal on the battery,

The black clamp on the black one..

and the other on one the 1st spark plug wire

loosen the 3 bolts on your distributor(12mm wrench or socket)

and shine the timing light behind the motor mount at the belt ..

it will have 3 lines on it..line the middle line up with the arrow on the plastic cover..

let me know when you do this..

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What do you mean line the middle line up with the arrow on the plastic cover?

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ahhh gotcha. My cars warming up right now.

How do i hook the clip to the spark plug wire?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,014 Posts
what if your car doesnt have a timing mark on the crank pulley? and my plastic piece on the block was hacked off lol

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well my timing light doesnt work anymore :(

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In a couple days when i get my piping/exhaust done ill just get it timed for 20 bucks cause its a headache for me lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts