Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Del Sol
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I get your opinions of the best options for a 96-98 era ecu replacement? Manual transmission of course.

My goals are currently to drive my Y7 stock (don't really need a different ecu for this), then Y8 head, then some time after that turbo it to somewhere around 220-300 HP. Probably on a 2 to 3 year timescale.

The ones I found that should work are as follows, very roughly priced from low to high, not including cost of making a harness of course. Anything with PnP next to it is generally considered plug and play.

Microsquirt
Hondata S300 (+ old ecu) (PnP-ish)
Megasquirt
LinkECU HC69+ (PnP)
AEM Series 2 (PnP)
Various Haltech for OBD1 (PnP-ish)

Other options included... some super rare, write once cpu for early obd2 ecu and most any other aftermarket ecu.

The one I hear the most about is the S300 with the older ecu. But I hear that causes the engine to run lean.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,289 Posts
you would take it to a tuner and have it done properly. the only way it would run lean, is if you tuned it as such

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,697 Posts
One thing to think about as well is your state emission testing requirements.

Most states that perform emissions testing on OBD2 and newer (1996+ vehicles) require a fully functioning OBD2 compliant engine ECU to be available at the 16 pin diagnostic connector.

If you go to ANY of the above possible ECU options, you will no longer have an OBD2 compliant ECU and the 16 pin diagnostic port will be dead from an engine ECU perspective. In the states that rely on this port for engine ECU specific OBD2 emissions monitor status, it will be unavailable to the state testing equipment and will be an automatic fail.

A good amount of thought needs to go into this, as if you are part of a state that does emissions testing like this, then you will need to come up with a pretty involved strategy for passing emissions testing when the time comes.

Unless you live in Florida, then disregard anything I said lol.

Your best bet for tuning options, unless you strictly plan on street tuning and never going to a dyno, will be to find a reputable tuner who you can work with, and ask him/her what they prefer to tune with for your vehicle. That will simplify your decision process 100 fold.

If you do plan on only ever street tuning it, Demon 2 with Neptune RTP, or Hondata with SManager, or any of these two hardware solutions with Honda Tuning Suite as your tuning software.

No ECU tuning solution will directly cause a vehicle to continuously run lean, as it is a tuners job to diagnose any lean running condition appropriately and correct it, regardless if that is in fact the fault of the ECU. Continually running lean would be the tuners fault, or the person responsible for outfitting the vehicle with the hardware to support the engine but went cheap or way out of the requirements range of the build.

·
Registered
97 Del Sol
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in Michigan, there is no emission testing that I am aware of.

As for the dyno shops... I had not considered that. I not sure why, but I for some reason thought that your average dyno tuner shop handled most common types of standalone ecus.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,697 Posts

As for the dyno shops... I had not considered that. I not sure why, but I for some reason thought that your average dyno tuner shop handled most common types of standalone ecus.
Oh wow, sure the fuck enough, Michigan does not e test! Just checked, and it appears michigan abandoned its emission testing requirements in 1995.

So, rephrase, disregard previous text if you live in Florida or Michigan haha.

You would "think" most tuners would tune with the most popular platforms, but this is totally an assumption. It's best to check what most people in your area are comfortable with using, because I have seen guys get turned away from shops before because of this very issue. Just an fyi :)

You'd probably be safe with Hondata S300 and SManager or Neptune RTP with a Demon2. Most who say they tune hondas should be familiar enough with these.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,743 Posts

Aaron at Pure Tuning in Toledo is who does most of the engine tuning on the cars I build SCCA/NASA racing transmissions for Myers Motorsports and others. Generally all Hondata P28 based setups I believe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts