Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I hate to come on here and probrably ask something simple but I have a 1996 civic ex with a D16y8 turbo, I am experiencing what is like a limp mode when wot or high load acceleration at 3500-4500 rpm. What happens is the car feels like it’s hitting boost cut /2 step but none are activated (using Neptune RTP), if I unhook the battery for a few minutes, reconnect, and drive the car it drives great for the first few pulls, then goes into the limp mode like state from above. I have traced wiring and checked for proper values at the VSS, vtec solonoid, oil pressure switch, ect sensor, alternator wiring,and even the crank sensor which isn’t even used due to ob2 harness to obd1 ecu. If anyone has any ideas or anyway I can go about trying to fix this, thanks

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,880 Posts
Is the car tuned or on a basemap, is there any check engine lights coming on, do you have 2 step activated and speedo working properly, have you checked your plug gaps to make sure it's not blowing out the spark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Car is tuned afr wise only on 3 psi,retard .5 degree per pound of boost, 2 step not enabled and Speedo communication to ect is reading what it says on the dash, plug gap is at .028 on ngk bkr7e, Do you think this is something he ate two would be fixed with a tune because it is intermittent and works sometimes? Just don’t want to take it to the dump and be unable to tune

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,880 Posts
Car is tuned afr wise only on 3 psi,retard .5 degree per pound of boost, 2 step not enabled and Speedo communication to ect is reading what it says on the dash, plug gap is at .028 on ngk bkr7e, Do you think this is something he ate two would be fixed with a tune because it is intermittent and works sometimes? Just don’t want to take it to the dump and be unable to tune
.5 degrees per psi is too advance for your setup on pump gas I'd start at .9 and advance from there once you get on the dyno.

I'd also gap the plugs down to .022 and see how it reacts what's the afr are you dataloggong during the event when it happens and can you post a screen shot of that datalog...

Datalog these values, rpm, tps, vss, ign timing, iat, ect, afr

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.5 degrees per psi is too advance for your setup on pump gas I'd start at .9 and advance from there once you get on the dyno.

I'd also gap the plugs down to .022 and see how it reacts what's the afr are you dataloggong during the event when it happens and can you post a screen shot of that datalog...

Datalog these values, rpm, tps, vss, ign timing, iat, ect, afr
Thankyou guys, I’ll throw some fresh plugs gaped at .022, afrs under boost are 11.8-12.5. I will definitely get some screen shots and post them when I can. Again Thankyou guys

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a log of the car working correctly-
Colorfulness Product Rectangle Font Screenshot

And one of the car doing what I was saying-
Colorfulness Rectangle Font Line Screenshot

I drove the car yesterday after reducing timing and gapping plugs for a few hours and it ran great no problems, then I go to a friends house and on the way home it starts doing it again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[
head gasket and bearings will be pushed out pretty soon with that timing map.
Lol I’m obviously not familiar with the ignition timing stuff, I just wanted to get afrs right and fix this problem so an experienced tuner can actually make dyno runs without the car sputtering and not working.
without going into too much detail about det cans and take it to a real tuner, is their anything I should know about the timing values for a setup like mine, stock bottom end and head with arp studs? Thankyou for your guys help btw, very useful

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,379 Posts
My get it to the tuner jump off point for a stock y8 is -1.2° per psi, the chamber design is built for a swirl atomized air furl mix and boosting it disturbs that swirl, causing det well before a more open chamber like an a6 or z6 head. My tuner generally hates me for going that far back, but usually stops complaining middle of 3rd pull when things start to mesh.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My get it to the tuner jump off point for a stock y8 is -1.2° per psi, the chamber design is built for a swirl atomized air furl mix and boosting it disturbs that swirl, causing det well before a more open chamber like an a6 or z6 head. My tuner generally hates me for going that far back, but usually stops complaining middle of 3rd pull when things start to mesh.
Very much appreciated, I will create a new base map and schedule a tuning appointment and also I will double check the tps

1 - 12 of 12 Posts