Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys new to this part of the forum and was looking for some advice/knowledge,
I have a ej6 with d16y7 boosted with a td04l turbo, vitara pistons, eagle rods, acl bearings, arp head studs, block guard, walbro 255 fp,
havent decided on injectors or intercooler yet but was wanting to nail down the ecu and software i would need to run, any advice would be great

thanks

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
You can use an obd1 ecu like the p28 and have it chipped or you can go with a stand alone like the aem ems. But you should talk with the tuner and see what he like to tune with.

Going with the p28 ecu not only does it need to be chopped but you will all need a step down harness.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
edit: yeah what he said, 2jz is a good resource on this subject.

You need a chipped ecu or a stand alone system. By curiosity, why not figure that put before the components? Seems like while researching, I found I needed fuel support, and electronics well beyond my stock setup well before I settled on a setup at all.

Are you working with a tuner?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
would that be any good, someone offered me it? will have a word with my tuner on monday when there open and get some more info

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Yeah that is a good ECU to chip and tune with, lots of support. Ask your tuner his preferred style and see what you can afford and meet in the middle, dont skimp though, this is possibly the most important part of the build besides the good tune.

Also, you can find those already chipped ready to be programmed, so if you dont wanna chip it your self....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not at the moment was trying to have all the pieces put together and built before i took it to the tuner, this is probably backwards

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Its not like you are shit out of luck or something, you just have to find something that works with what you bought, if you are still in the planning stages, well you are in the right spot. Either way, you just need the ecu or stand alone depending on what the person tuning it is most familiar with.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the guy listed it as a obd2a ecu would that have the chip already, sorry for the noobiness but the management bit still gets me thats why i posted this, i dont wanna mess up the build due to poor management system

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
the guy listed it as a obd2a ecu would that have the chip already, sorry for the noobiness but the management bit still gets me thats why i posted this, i dont wanna mess up the build due to poor management system
Obd2a or obd2b ecus are not chip-able. Only obd1 ecu can be chipped.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats where i was getting really confused as i used the hondata ecu link and thats what it said, so the guys maybe lying then, maybe better looking somewhere else, out of curiousity where would i good place to buy a tunable ecu? also i have changed the inlet manifold to a d16z6 for better flow but the iacv has 2wires and my standard loom has 3 is there a fix for this guys?

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
thats where i was getting really confused as i used the hondata ecu link and thats what it said, so the guys maybe lying then, maybe better looking somewhere else, out of curiousity where would i good place to buy a tunable ecu? also i have changed the inlet manifold to a d16z6 for better flow but the iacv has 2wires and my standard loom has 3 is there a fix for this guys?
Yes there's a fix for the iacv. You need to remove a wire and move another one. Pretty easy. There's one for a 96-98 civic and one for the 99-00 civic so make sure to use the right one.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Obd2a or obd2b ecus are not chip-able. Only obd1 ecu can be chipped.

true but there was some p28 that had obd2a connectors on them.
Hondata use to sell them also. basically made it all plugin play without a harness needeed.

and to the OP/

Get whatever your tuner says. After all he will be the one tuning it. You might get a system that you think is great but if your tuner suck ass at that setup then your car will run like shit.

so think about that.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
true but there was some p28 that had obd2a connectors on them.
Hondata use to sell them also. basically made it all plugin play without a harness needeed.

and to the OP/

Get whatever your tuner says. After all he will be the one tuning it. You might get a system that you think is great but if your tuner suck ass at that setup then your car will run like shit.

so think about that.
Del sol Si 96-97 are what they came out of

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Those OBD2 P28 ecu's dont appear to be chippable.

·
Registered
Civic/92Achieva H.O.
1,240 Posts
Neptune ftw! Seriously though, your tuner is your deciding factor, and he should be able to supply or point you in the right direction if your having any trouble. Many obd1 ecu's are chippable, and can also have vtec plus a secondary output added later to the board, very cheap parts, your mostly going to pay in labor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts