Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a p28 recently and when i opened it up to check the board and components. I noticed a burnt smell and one resister is burned and on the back of the board where the resister is placed, its also burned. I talked to the person I bought it from and he keeps swearing that when he pulled it out from his car. It was working perfectly fine.

Pictures I took after I found out about the burnt component.

And today. I was able to take ECU with me to work and asked some of the workers here to check to see if its still functional. Their answer? They said its burnt. the board where the resister is, burnt and the path on the board to that resister is burnt.

So, now I just wanna check for myself to see if its still functional because they guy that I bought it from keeps insisting that it worked for him perfectly fine before he pulled it out and sold it to me.

So. this is my issue. :pinch:

Thanks in advanced
- Sammo

·
Registered
94 civic, 90 talon
1,943 Posts
Yeah...unfortunately I agree with the co workers. I would still test it out though.

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whats the purpose of the purge valve? Would it cause issues down the road if I were to still us it?

My original plans with the p28 was to get it chipped from xenocron with the RTP demon once im ready for a tune when I complete my turbo build.

The people I asked if it would still work over all said. its a 50/50 chance that it would still work but considering that the transistor is burnt they believe that it would just fail in the long run.

·
Formally D_Tuned
97 civic HX
2,884 Posts
q31 is a transistor that controls the evap purge solenoid unless you deal with smog its not something to worry about really.

It is a positive current circuit whereas the iat is simply a variable resistor on a ground loop and when mixing the 2 you cause a short and supply ground to a positive output burning the transistor/pcb trace.

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
love it! Thanks for the info guys!

Since the transistor itself can be replaced, What about the pcb trace? Can that also be repaired?

·
Formally D_Tuned
97 civic HX
2,884 Posts
Theoretically yes, I have done so on repaired ecu's for customers in the past with solid core wire out of in-wall phone cable.

You have to follow the trace to the closest soldering point and it takes a really delicate touch.

Edit: My crome tuning ecu setup has a burn q31 from plugging into a customer car with his plugs backwards so ive been meaning to fix it, if i can find the time soon i may try and take some pics for you if your not in a hurry.

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sure dude. Got time. Cant rush the helper hahaha.

Quick question. What kind of symptoms or what kind of issues would I have if I were to run without an evap system? From what I understand, its for emission purposes but since im gonna be using this p28 for tuning purposes, would it be okay for me to drive it normally without it?
This turbo build im doing is going to be for DD and weekend punishment hahaha.

·
Formally D_Tuned
97 civic HX
2,884 Posts
I dont deal with emissions testing so i dont know if you need it to pass or whatever, but i completely removed my evap system as do alot of locals. Only thing you deal with is getting farted on by your gastank when you unscrew the cap from a little bit of pressure that builds up from the outside heat .

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AHH. Okay. Not too worried about smog. since whenever its time for me to get a smog check, i can just return everything back to stock and get it tested and once passed just put everything back together.

Thanks alot Tw34k, your a great help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts