Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a 1989 crx. Its in the process of being turned into a Dirt track race car but the previous owner swapped the motor to a d16y7. He gave me 3 ecu's that he said were for a civic and that they didnt work for him. I've been searching trying to find the ecu that i need for the d16y7 motor. I know nothing about honda's but i'll be damned if i let this car just sit int he weeds and not be on the race track.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,117 Posts
was it converted to obd1?
is it still obd0?
what ecus do you have?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
was it converted to obd1?
is it still obd0?
what ecus do you have?
i have not a clue on any of that. The wiring is an absolute mess. i haven't had time to sit and look at the Ecu's I got from the guy yet. I'm just curious since he said the 3 he had didn't work if it was because he didn't convert it or if they are just the wrong one's. Again, i know next to nothing on how they work and what all they control

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,117 Posts
step 1) figure out what ecus you have and what they go to
step 2) look at your ecu plugs (in the car) and figure out if they match whats supposed to be there (google is thy friend)
step 3) report back

Reactions: mattliston

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
If the wiring is a mess, you need to figure that out first.

The ecu plugs will tell you right away if it is OBD0, 1, 2a, or 2b

EDIT Slo got it with the ecu plugs. Most important check right there!

Reactions: slo_eg8

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
539 Posts
Id suggest hitting the junk yard. pick up a cabin harness, make whatever repairs it needs, install it, then sort out ecu, much easier if you know what you are working with to start. I charge triple for basket cases, its cheaper and faster in the long run to just take a day, hit the junkyard, and do it right.
Ps. Its fun to smash stuff getting what you need as well...
PPs. Check to make sure the stuff you are smashing isn't worth money FIRST! a glove box latch goes for 35 bucks shipped on eBay, cost 3 bucks at pick a part.
PPPs. Sometimes you find stuff you didnt know you needed 😉

·
Registered
539 Posts
You have obd0 ecus and cabin harness, is there a resistor box on your injector wiring currently? Is it running obd0, obd1 or obd2 injectors? What intake manifold is it running? Have you tried plugging one in and checking for pump prime, spark and injector pulse yet?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have obd0 ecus and cabin harness, is there a resistor box on your injector wiring currently? Is it running obd0, obd1 or obd2 injectors? What intake manifold is it running? Have you tried plugging one in and checking for pump prime, spark and injector pulse yet?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Its still got the dpfi throttle body injection on it, only one thats going to run that is the pm5, a better option would be an obd1 swap with mpfi manifold, injectors and ecu (po6) from a 92-95 d15b7.

Will need to grab the engine harness as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its still got the dpfi throttle body injection on it, only one thats going to run that is the pm5, a better option would be an obd1 swap with mpfi manifold, injectors and ecu (po6) from a 92-95 d15b7.
So we got it to turn over just won't start. I did plug in the pm5 ecu I have, we had to jump the starter for it to turn over fyi

Turns over, just no spark in any of the plugs. Will that be because of the ecu?

Is there any chance we could get rid of the ecu/ computer entirely and run a carburetor on the motor with a manual distributor?

·
Registered
93 dx + 92 lx
329 Posts
Manual dizzy? Thatd be cool someone might chime in that knows more than me but there are plenty of ways to get spark to a motor. We did it with what was available in like 2002 aftermarket wise and there used to be a guy on here and at pacific raceway that ran a pink ef that was on carbs using the same setup. I think these days there is something called megajolt or megaspark that is cheaper than the fully programmable msd digital unit we used.

Im considering something like that plus a squarebore when my mk1 fiesta gets 2 liter focus power as the weber 38s arent set up for 16v motors.

Tryna sweet talk my sister out of a 66 f85 with a straight 6 for those, Id just need one more to have one barrel per cylinder, the home made early drag racer style radiator hose runner IR intake Ive always wanted, crazy intake noise, and a linkage/balancing headache from hell. Itd sure be cool though... Slow...but cool.

D series civics have me appreciating that vibe lol

·
Registered
539 Posts
There are ways to run carb, ive seen a few come up from Mexico with adapter plates running holley 2 bbl with rigged duraspark ignition boxes off the old 76-86 Ford 460s. Not something I'd recommend, a stock p06 ecu, a obd1 distributor, a wiring harness and a d15b7 manifold with injectors should be easily sourceable at your local junk yard for a lower price than what you might think, and it pretty much all drops right in.
As for your spark problem , check coil pulse with a test light hooked to b+ then touch the coil ground while cranking, honda coils are often the culprit when there is a no spark issue.
Did engine light illuminate for 3 secs at key on indicating fuel pump prime?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are ways to run carb, ive seen a few come up from Mexico with adapter plates running holley 2 bbl with rigged duraspark ignition boxes off the old 76-86 Ford 460s. Not something I'd recommend, a stock p06 ecu, a obd1 distributor, a wiring harness and a d15b7 manifold with injectors should be easily sourceable at your local junk yard for a lower price than what you might think, and it pretty much all drops right in.
As for your spark problem , check coil pulse with a test light hooked to b+ then touch the coil ground while cranking, honda coils are often the culprit when there is a no spark issue.
Did engine light illuminate for 3 secs at key on indicating fuel pump prime?
I'll have to give the junk yard a look over and see what I find. The only light we got was the battery light, but a lot of things were still unplugged and we left all non important fuses out. We also couldn't hear the fuel pump running at all so that's something else we will have to chase down at a later date. Doesn't matter though if we don't have spark. But we got it to turn over so we won that battle. If we could delete all the computer stuff that would be beat in the end since it'll be bouncing around a dirt race track

·
Registered
539 Posts
Your main relay is likely bad or unplugged, which would cause no spark, no fuel. Driver side under the dash close to the driver door pillar for main relay, thats fairly easy to jumper and set switches up to run the car.
These ecus and their associated electronics are tougher than you would think, will give you a more consistent response than going carb with the fuel sloshing around in the bowl.
The dual point injection is getting rough to find parts for, it also limits power considerably, just the multi point swap would be nice gains , add in header, intake and a 2 inch straight pipe and that little car will rocket around a dirt oval.
Good luck at the junkyard, ill be checking in to see how its going, love me a crx 😍

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Do the low hanging fruit. Check ground wires, check the strut tower harness plugs for any corrosion, check the distributor wiring for loose pins or bad conenctions, check the primary and auxilary fuel injector conenctions, and most importnantly, check any and all fuses both under the hood and inside the car for anything relating to ACC, fuel, or ignition.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, did some looking around online.. My local junkyard has a few civics.
93 with the D15Y7
94 with a D16Z6
97 with a D16Y5

What's the beat option and motor to pull from

·
Registered
539 Posts
94 d16z6 would be my pick. then when the y5 thats in the crx now goes you get vtec, good for an extra 17-20 hp. It also has the best intake manifold of the bunch, which will bolt up to your current y5 motor, along with the distributor to run multipoint injection. only issue is you will need a vtec ecu to run the z6 motor, or you can have your pm7 or 6 chipped and upgraded to run vtec. The extra wiring for vtec is 3 wires to add from the ecu connector to the passenger fender well connector in the engine bay.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts