Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am new here, and i currently hav a 97' Civic, has the 1.5L non-vtec motor, which is manual. I bought a D15B vtec (20 cam lobe) which is automatic. I am swapping the transmissions, but i wonder if both ECU'S would work with that? if the P08 automatic ECU woul work with the NOW manual d15b?.. and if my non-vtec manual ECU would work with the now automatic non-vtec engine? Please help me...

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
you can convert the ecu to be manual by taking some transisters out... hold ill try to look for the how to and post it up

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/view/Library/OBD1CivicIntegraAutoManual is the article... now u say ur old engine was a non vtec, and the new one d15b is vtec, are you asking if ur non vtec ecu will work with the vtec motor? cause no it wont with out some modification such as a chip with a vtec rom on there... so you could use it if you chipped with crome or uberdata. or you could get a vtec controller and use that... but if u want to do the auto to manual on the ecu that is vtec, just follow the article there... i think its for a p28, but i would assume that it would be the same?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
you must also add vtec on the ecu, it isnt only chipping.

·
Registered
516 Posts
First, Make sure you have an OBD2 to OBD1 conversion harness because the P08 ECU won't work in your car without it since your car is a 97 (OBD2). As for the Non-Vtec manual working with Non-vtec auto... Your stock 97 manual ECU may not have the onboard harware to run an auto tranny.. so that's probably a negative on that working.

You can run the auto P08 with the manual D15B. Just follow the guide that SOHCpower posted the link to. You'll need to remove the RP17 resistor with a soldering iron. There will be little white letters on the board that say "RP17".

Don't follow the pictures on the guide that was posted though because they're of a US ECU not JDM.

I'll post some pictures of a JDM ECU later if you would like.

Anyways... good luck I hope I helped.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hmm.... I was told to remove RP17 AND RP18 to get it to work properly. That's what I did on my 92 Si d16z6. Maybe not removing RP18 because he's going OBD2 to OBD1?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Chefboiali said:
Hmm.... I was told to remove RP17 AND RP18 to get it to work properly. That's what I did on my 92 Si d16z6. Maybe not removing RP18 because he's going OBD2 to OBD1?
No RP18 stays jumpered.

·
Registered
112 Posts
if your automatic transmission has a sensor that looks like two cylindrical solenoids, unbolt it and connect it to the d15b harness. this gets rid of the check engine light by making the ecu believe it is still automatic.
i did this when i swapped my trans for a 5sp box and it works fine.
BUT this raises some questions about removing the transistors as mentioned above. What difference in terms of performance will i get when the ecu is modded from auto to manual??? I have an ecu with P29 code for a DOHC non-vtec motor.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Well removing the resistors changes a hardware configuration in the ECU that tells the processor that it should run in auto or manual mode.

Usually this raises the rev limit a little since autos don't rev as high as manuals... All in the the ECU would run like normal it just doesn't think it is an automatic anymore.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I tested an ecu for a manual D16 and it seemed to me like the car was pulling more on reaching to the redline than before (with auto ecu). I wasn't to sure at first that what i felt was more pulling, the difference is very slight, so i didn't buy it, the price seemed a bit high too, $100, but it's very hard to find ecu's to work, i searched everywhere. I just might go back for it though bcuz i'm a newbie and prefer not too mess with my ecu.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts