Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Accord that keeps giving me a ECU code 67 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold- Malfunctioning catalyst system. In doing some research it looks like it is the same code for 96 and newer civic and some preludes. Does anybody know how I can fix this problem? Is it an O2 sensor or something. I really need to get the check engine light off so I can pass the emisions test. Please help,

TIA,
Chad Wethington
95 del sol SI
D16Z6

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody has any ideas?

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
Wow, I never saw this post...

Either your cat is no longer doing its job, or your scondary o2 sensor could be going. However...

Most likely you are running rich and too much o2 is getting past your cataltytic convertor. Is your tailpipe really black?? Pull out a spark plug, how does that read?

Any mods done to your car? How many miles?

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
does he have a 2nd o2 sensor? he has a 95 del sol with a z6. I was under the impression, that obd-1 cars didn't have the 2nd o2 sensor in the cat.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are no mods to it. It has 160,00 miles on it.

I pulled the front 3 spark plugs and they look worn pretty bad. It looks like they have normal coloration, but the electrodes are worn down and rounded. Guess it is time for new plugs and wires. These might even be original plugs. They say denzo on the side.

I checked both tail pipes and noticed some black, but not real bad.

If i change the plugs and wires will I have to replace the o2 sensor, or will it be fine assuming it is already OK?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Maybe its time to replace the charcoal cannister(evap cannistor), and cat. check to see if any vacuum lines are loose or cracked. It sounds like a emission prob which might just be a lousy vacuum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts