Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i swapped a d16y8 into my EG back in may. IT still does not run right. The motor is converted to obd1 using the EG's dizzy, alt, and ecu. The ecu i suspect is the problem. The car turns over 10 to 15 times before it starts. Also when it starts, it runs real rough until it gets warmed up. I adjusted the idle a little bit and that helped some. I'm guessing the obd1 ecu designed to run the d15b is not sending the d16y8 the correct information to make it run right. The reason i have always shot this theory down is it runs perfect after it warms up. So after recently getting promoted and having to move i now need to work on the car again. Would using the correct ECU fix this problem? Instead of using the obdII ecu with an adapter harness i want to chip the obd1 ecu and install a y8 basemap. Mainly because this is cheaper. Please dont give me the chipping is hard nonsense. I can solder, its very easy. Is there any advantage to chipping the obd1 ecu with a y8 basemap rather using the obdII ecu with an adapter besides price?

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
yes, for the love of god chip the obdi ecu and use it...you already have the wiring done and converted over to obdi, so just use that...

the advantages you'll get:
1. stand alone tuning
2. data logging ability standard
3. better and more reliable power and effency

and besides you only have a few more steps to go, chip it, setup a base map and boom, decently running y8 ready for fine tuning...

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about for vtec. Will my ecu control vtec on the engine after it has the y8 basemap on it?

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
only if it converted, there are kits for this along with chipping kits from xenocron.com, they are a sponser of this forum and very good...

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
given that the ecu, harness, and engine are setup correctly, yes...given that your modifications done to the engine aren't much that is, speaking of which, what has been done thus far?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts