Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up a 99 ej8, and I'm replacing the vtec solenoid since it's throwing a code making the cel stay on, but once that's out of the way I was gonna pick up a chipped and basemap tuned ecu. If I get a yonaka cat back and a Megan header would it be a good idea to have it tuned afterwards? I've had a few Hondas in the past but this is my first time starting with an unmolested car, since everything I've owned was a wip that I finished, paint, wheels, coils ECT. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Before buying a new vtec solenoid you can do some testing if not already done.

Check the wires at the vtec plugs, your looking for broken wire causing the vtec code.

Are you sure the Ecu is a vtec Ecu?

Take a piece of wire from battery positive and with the single vtec plug unplugged touch the wire to the pin inside the vtec solenoid. It should click,if it does the solenoid works.

There are 2 codes for vtec. Depending on which one you have will help narrow down where the problem is. But you will need to know which code it is

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I had the diagnostic ran today to attempt to get emissions the computer showed 2 vtec codes. The wires look fine and in one piece, and none ofnthe clips or prongs are broken. I found a used solenoid for 30 bucks so I'm gonna throw that on when i have the time. The car is completely stock and unmolested other than a Kenwood radio and 8mm plug wires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts