Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just found the reason for the mysterious disappearing coolant trick my EK learned. Ebay radiator has a nice crack in it somewhere. Is it really just the luck of the draw with any product from there? I read tons of threads where folks made waaaaayy more power than my 170hp on 7psi, used an ebay radiator, and did just fine. My car must know that i'm getting ready to take her on the DSO Dragon Run, and she's starting to be a little bitch.

I try not to post here unless it's a last resort. There is more than enough info in past threads about damn near everything, but I feel like I'm overlooking something. What would make a relatively new radiator like that crack?

Also, does anyone know if there is any difference between an ebay and the rads that Greg at Go-Autoworks sells? I'm probably just gonna get one from him regardless b/c of all of the good things i hear about him and the way he runs his business.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
if u have a problem with the rad greg will take care of u

if u have a problem with an ebay rad, u will have to buy another one.

if u want a ballin rad he can get you one too.. if u want the economy rad then you get what ya pay for...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL I need nothing ballin. I'm buying a new radiator, and I'm gonna pick up the 129.99 one from Greg, simply because of the customer service I hear about. Even if its made in the same factory as the ebay one, I'll pay whatever extra for somebody to call just in case.

My main question was is there anything glaringly obvious that would cause a relatively new radiator to just up and crack? I read a thread earlier today where someones rad. cap that came with an ebay rad. didn't release pressure and cracked it, but mine doesn't look swollen or anything, as was the rad. described in that particular thread. Just trying to make sure I'm fixing the problem and not a symptom.

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
That's what I said when I found out he had one, and it fits normal D16 hoses, too, none of the lube it up and jam it on crap b-series sized tubes. If I have issues with the eGay radiator I have, I will be going directly to Greg. He's an awesome dude that runs a great business.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What ebay radiator? They have $50 ones and $120 ones, some of them are generic some are actual name brands, you can always have it rewelded if you want. Look into CXracing radiators also, I never had a problem with them.
I'm not really sure. It was replaced by the shop that installed my setup, before I realized that they were no more intelligent than I was, they just had more experience. After I saw the bill for the radiator and install (Around 300 total, 129.99 for a rad. they SAID they got from ebay), I vowed to never let another fucking soul touch my car. I'm pretty sure they saw dollar signs and said "Hey we can sell this n00b a 55 dollar radiator and pocket the rest, they all look the same". Since then I've done a window motor, a timing belt, water pump, motor mounts, a valve lash, and various other shit myself. It may not sound like a lot, but I did it all with what Ive read on here. Thanks DSO.

Gonna go with Greg. Should I get the shroud too?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you get what you pay for is all i gotta say.

I paid out the ass for it, because it was done by a shop and not me, mainly because I didn't know any better.

After that, I vowed never to let another fucking soul touch my car
This ^ is the lesson that came from it. Money well spent, even if it didn't seem so at the time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I said when I found out he had one, and it fits normal D16 hoses, too, none of the lube it up and jam it on crap b-series sized tubes. If I have issues with the eGay radiator I have, I will be going directly to Greg. He's an awesome dude that runs a great business.
AHA!!!!! Thanks Beave!!!! They charged me for an Si lower radiator hose "because yours wouldn't fit"!! I knew I got fucked!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
half size radiator + slim fan from Greg and the Go autoworks guys = win.
I already have the slim fan that came with the ebay jobber, but it's nearly as wide as the rad. itself....I'll have to contact Greg and see if the shroud will fit, cause I'm leaning towards getting one of them as well. Summer is coming fast here in Tampa.

·
Administrator
16,376 Posts
I ran his rad and slimfan combo on my turbo gsr. Not one problem with it at all and it cooled my car fine. The ONLY reason I am not running it anymore is I bought a fully polished one from a buddy with an fittings... Otherwise I'd still be rocking the go-auto one

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ran his rad and slimfan combo on my turbo gsr. Not one problem with it at all and it cooled my car fine. The ONLY reason I am not running it anymore is I bought a fully polished one from a buddy with an fittings... Otherwise I'd still be rocking the go-auto one
Yeah he's offering a custom kit w/ AN fittings for only like 350 bucks...it is, as Danz put, ballin LOL, but the paycheck says firmly "There will be no ballin for you! You're lucky I'm letting you get anything." It's like having a bitchy greedy gf without any sex.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
iv used many ebay radiators. they work fine. no overheating or leaks. my high dollar mishimoto leaked before any ebay ones lol. their like 50 bucks which is dirt cheap
Which is exactly why I asked the question:

What would make a relatively new radiator like that crack?
AND

My main question was is there anything glaringly obvious that would cause a relatively new radiator to just up and crack? I read a thread earlier today where someones rad. cap that came with an ebay rad. didn't release pressure and cracked it, but mine doesn't look swollen or anything, as was the rad. described in that particular thread. Just trying to make sure I'm fixing the problem and not a symptom.
This wasn't just a "Which should I buy???" thread. I probably shouldn't have titled the thread "ebay vs. Go-autoworks". I'm gonna change that.

Edit: I guess I can't change the title of the thread. My bad everybody.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
You can easily blow a rad by either having a bad HG or by having head lift. All the pressure that leaks from the combustion chambers finds it's way into the cooling jackets and will blow/crack a rad, blow a rad hose, over heat ect...

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
You can easily blow a rad by either having a bad HG or by having head lift. All the pressure that leaks from the combustion chambers finds it's way into the cooling jackets and will blow/crack a rad, blow a rad hose, over heat ect...
2x plus I almost messed up a rad because pre owner clogged up the overflow tube some how. I thing it was leaking and they just sealed it up. So when the temp got up the rad had no where to release itself so it blow the cap.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts