Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 722 Posts

·
Registered
93 del sol
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The big question why?

I’m helping out my son turbo's his 94 Hatch. He’s working part time and has been saving up for a turbo kit. So he’s on a major budget like most of you.

The kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/D-Series-Complete-T3-T4-Turbo-Kit-92-95-Civic-CRXD16_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ025QQitemZ380030610342QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

One of the first things I like to do before I touch a car is to do a compression and leak-down test. This gives me the vitals of the engine and establishes a base line.

Compression/leak down test is as follows.

#1 cylinder 185psi with a 3% leak-down
#2 cylinder 182psi with a 5% leak-down
#3 cylinder 185psi with a 3% leak-down
#4 cylinder 187psi with a 2% leak-down

So the engine looks like its in good shape. Time to put some boost to it.

The first thing I told him is to have some realistic goal’s that can be set in stages. This is by far one of the most important issues when building a project car. You need to ask yourself how fast you want to go and how much can you spend to get there.

So here are the goals we set.

#1 Run a 14.9 or quicker using the stock D15 engine at 8psi max.
(cost $1295.00)

#2 Run a 14.5 or quicker using the stock D15 with ARP head studs at 12psi max.
(cost $1420.00)

#3 Run a 13.5 or quicker using our stock D16 with ARP head studs at 14psi max.
(cost $1870.00)

#4 Run a 12.99 or quicker using our stock D16 with ARP head studs at 20psi max.
(cost $1870.00)

Cost sheet.

#1 turbo kit $830.00
#2 used ACT clutch and p/p $50.00
#3 ARP head studs $125.00
#5 misc. $100.00
#6 D16 engine $400.00 (for goal 3 & 4)
#7 injector service $60.00
#8 moates ostrich 2.0 $185.00
#9 chipped P28 ecu $120.00

Free items

#1 Walbro 255, came with the car
#2 CROME
#3 three inch exhaust system
#4 dsm 450cc/min injectors, my old stock ones off my Talon

I will show the progress starting on it this week.

I’m going to break it down into sections.

#1 Pre check the parts before there installed for fitment and quality of design. If there is anything that doesn’t look right it will be change before it gets installed.

#2 Turbo kit installation. This will be the true test to see if all the parts fit, if they don’t we will address them at that point.

#3 Initial tune. This is where we will be very conservative as far as timing and fuel values. The biggest thing at this point is to make the car act like its N/A and drive like its totally stock.

#4 Low boost tuning. I have a few tricks I’ll show on how to make the car accelerate through the transition of vacuum to positive pressure.

#5 High boost tuning. This makes or breaks it. I’ll save this one for later. lol

Started the ebay turbo kit install today.
Before tear down.

Mock up.

Everything went great up to the down pipe and the lack of turbo to turbo manifold bolts.

The down pipe need’s to drop down about two inches before routing under the car.

The turbo five bolt flange was all f upped. The Chinese need to measure twice and drill once.

The turbo oil inlet and outlet flange to the turbo wasn’t drilled right so I we to hog them out a bit.

Then we had to wrap it up because a storm was moving in.

:(

·
Registered
93 del sol
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Front pic to see the fit of the bumper. Ryan came over to help, this is the kid you bought my old Civc and did an awesome B16 setup.

Engine pic of Ryan’s Civic that is now supporting a stockB16 with a 60-1 turbo running Crome. This car runs as good as it looks. It flat hauls balls.

All in all it was a good day. Things left to do are fix down pipe and install. I have a friend working on the flange to get it to work.

We still need to drop the oil pan and weld the return fitting in. Then we will get the exhaust hooked up and start some tuning.

Here are some updates on the civic.

Took the old oil pan off and installed my old one.

Then Ryan came up with a great idea on the charge pipe that comes off the compressor. The way it used to run is the charge pipe would run right up against the 3" down pipe and soak a bunch of heat. So we made a few cuts and came up with this.

·
Registered
93 del sol
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The next step was to fix the down pipe. So we ran a slip joint and it drop it far enough to clear the oil pan. This is going to be temp. solution. We will have it welded in the near future.

All this was done Monday. Today we did some detailing and painted the dizzy and valve cover.

·
Registered
93 del sol
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I dropped off the my old injectors and had them clean and flowed. So I'm waiting on the ecu and injectors and then we can start the tuning.

OK time for some scores on this kit. This will be your typical 1 through 10 scales.

FMIC, Charge Pipes, Silicone Couplers, T-Bolts. (8 points)
The fit was really good and the quality was decent.

Turbo Manifold (8 points)
The fit was good and quality decent.

BOV (8 points)
I really like this thing for the money!

Waste-gate (9 points)
I have a few of these on other cars and they hold up well and have not had one problem with them.

Turbo (9 points)
I have a few of these on other cars and they hold up well and have not had one problem with them.

Down pipe (4 points)
This thing would have been nice if... and it’s a big if, the five bolt flange bolts holes were drilled right. This thing will cost you some big dollar drill bits to get to fit right, if at all. We luck out! The other thing is being a three-inch down pipe the fitment has to be Nat's ass on. This where the big dollar down pipes show whats up!!!
So the problem areas were.
#1 The down pipe needs to be about a 1" longer vertically with this turbo manifold and turbo.
#2 The five bolt flange is not drilled correct.
#3 The O2 bung sits right under the driver’s side axle at 12:00 clock. I put a plug in it and it can never be used. Its about 2" away from the axle.
#4The bolts that come with the down pipe to attach to the 2-bolt flange at the end need to be thrown away. There junk!

Oil Feed Tee
This is the one that connects the oil sending unit and the feed to the turbo. (9 points)
Fitment and quality are really good.

Turbo Oil Feed and Return Flange (6 points)
I had to drill out both of these. Once again they need to measure better.
The gaskets were really nice though.

Oil Return Line (6 points)
It’s too flimsy. Needs to be a better quality. It kinks very easy to the point I won't use it.

Oil Feed Line (0 points)
Only lasted two days then melted. :x

Fittings (6 points)
Be carefull they are the cheap ones.

Turbo manifold Gaskets 4 bolt and 5 bolt(8 points)
Fitment was good and seal up nicely!

All in all I'm happy with the kit. For the money it’s not to bad. Total install time was about 12 hrs.
I have had good luck with them. One thing I do suggest is to take your oil pan off like we did and weld in an AN #10 fitting. Then use the same 90-degree AN elbow that we did. The cost is around $40.00 The oil return is one of the most important items on a turbo list.

Update!!! Today the turbo inlet oil feed line melted. It wasn't touching anything it just went away. It was about a inch away from the turbo manifold. The thing is made of some crappy inner-core nylon. So the score for it just dropped from a eight to a zero.

Update!!!

Just got back the injectors from "Mr Injector" in Dalton Garden CDA.

He did a flow leak, electrical and ultrasonic service and retest, and install service kit.

The results were a eye opener.

One injector was not flowing hardly at all.

After the tune up!!!

There is some reflection on number four in the pics, but its flowing like all the rest.

They are all well balanced at 520 cc/min. Or 49.52 lbs/hr

This is something I can't stress enough is to have your injectors tested. My old Turbod16 would still be running if I would of had them checked. One of my injectors was only flowing 300cc/min when it went 130mph in the 1/4.

·
Registered
37 Posts
looks good. im not sure how long the stock d16 will hold up to 20 pounds. maybe 1 pass. then you will probably blow more oil by the rins then the pan can hold.:O

·
Registered
140 Posts
wow great info.

do you have a honda too?
is crazy how right now im thinking one day ill do the same for my son(he is 18mths)
ur son must be so proud to have a dad like you...lol

great write up.

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
im on this guys nuts right now. he knows his shit!

·
I
95 Civic coupe
3,984 Posts

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
Reactions: krychek57

·
Registered
97 4door EK-T
475 Posts
great info!!!! I got the exact same kit waiting to be installed. How many psi is ur wastegate? I lowered mine from 9 to six ( changed the spring.)

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
1 - 20 of 722 Posts