Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was thinking about buying this whole set, either for a 1.5/1.6 vtec or non vtec whatever i end up having. planning to go boost. im not patient enough to piece all the parts together so im going for the whole thing.
Honda Civic Complete Turbo Kits D Series EX/Si 1.6L SOHC VTEC I-4 125HP D16Z6 | eBay
So i got a few questions,
-so this kit comes with a oil catch can. so does that mean i dont have to drill a hole in the oil pan for the return line?
-and for the oil feed line, where do i have to drill? or is there a adapter where i can just hook it up for the preasure to send the oil to the turbo.
-and for the boost controller, how does it usually work? with the wastegate psi spring already set at a certain psi, will the boost controller lift the spring higher for desired boost? thanks guys.

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
3,888 Posts
Back up and read the stickies here in the forced induction. Your questions alone prove your motor will not last at all if it even starts. Either take the time to research and do it right or pay a shop to do it for you.

·
Registered
218 Posts
people have mixed feelings and reviews with ebay turbos in general, for the most part the kit is fine it's more the turbo itself people aren't sure about because some a really cheap and will fall apart in your hands other ones will last for years it's hit and miss.

the catch can doesn't really have anything to do with the oil system, you still need to have the return line in the pan.
a lot of people just get a sandwich adapter and just do the feed that way.
and the boost controller is normally hooked up from a vacuum source to the wastegate. and increase the boost on top of what the spring is set for. so an 8psi spring can become a 20psi spring with a boost controller....more or less

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Was thinking about buying this whole set, either for a 1.5/1.6 vtec or non vtec whatever i end up having. planning to go boost. im not patient enough to piece all the parts together so im going for the whole thing.
Honda Civic Complete Turbo Kits D Series EX/Si 1.6L SOHC VTEC I-4 125HP D16Z6 | eBay
So i got a few questions,
-so this kit comes with a oil catch can. so does that mean i dont have to drill a hole in the oil pan for the return line?
-and for the oil feed line, where do i have to drill? or is there a adapter where i can just hook it up for the preasure to send the oil to the turbo.
-and for the boost controller, how does it usually work? with the wastegate psi spring already set at a certain psi, will the boost controller lift the spring higher for desired boost? thanks guys.
Quoted so i can point out your mistakes.
1. You shouldnt be turboing if you think the catchcan is for turbo oil drain and that you dont have to tap the pan.

2.Oil feed will be from a sandwhich plate or tee off the oem oil pressure switch. If you can research that then you dont need to be turboing.

Boost controller can only up the psi above the spring rate.
I.e a boost controller can turn a 5psi wastegate into a 10psi one.
you can find a million youtube videos on how they work.

Now that your main stuff is out of the way.
Ebay turbos will work. alot of people will say no but really they will work. Might have to be replace sooner then a high dollar one. But the fact remains they will boost.
also that kit is not complete and probably wont bolt on and go without modding it.

Also you need fuel injector and a tune. Read the sticky and check the build thread. IMO your no where ready to boost yet. You still got some learning to do.

·
Registered
68 Posts
ebay kit has it's pros and cons, But i heard the main probably why they blow so fast is because too much oil is being fed...

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
fuel pump, fuel injectors, tuning

if none of these popped up in your mind before purchasing, STOP.

dont even ATTEMPT to turbo your car until you understand fully what is required

·
Registered
44 Posts
dont cheap out on turbo compnents buy reptuable products like from greg at go autworks
That's ideal but by taking about ebay kit's we can assume he cant afford it no? There kits are fine. I'd run the hole setup but save up for a wg, bov, turbo asap. A buddy of mine is cheaper then cheap and has run his single at 150-200whp with a full ebay kit and a base map for the last 3 months and beats the crap out of it. The kits are hit or miss no one can say there 100% bad or good.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The ebay piping intercooler is fine as far as I know, I mean you can always start buying legit parts little by little. If your rushing to go boost then go for it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know some people have wait years and collected parts by parts. But since im taking out a loan might as well buy something brand new, untouched and with all the parts right? Lol

·
Registered
379 Posts
I know some people have wait years and collected parts by parts. But since im taking out a loan might as well buy something brand new, untouched and with all the parts right? Lol
taking out a loan for whaaat? :rofc:

·
Registered
861 Posts
so wait...your borrowing money for something you dont know how to do and which will be worth at best half of what you pay in resale value. scratch that...ebay kits used sell for slightly higher than shipping.

enjoy living in the 500's until you figure out the whole savings thing. and im not talking horsepower.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Lol, just lol.
Dont take out a loan to boost a car when you dont know what your doing.
In fact life lesson dont get a loan unless its 100% needed.

IMO you need to look around and do spme reading on how tp do everythong right.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lol, just lol.
Dont take out a loan to boost a car when you dont know what your doing.
In fact life lesson dont get a loan unless its 100% needed.

IMO you need to look around and do spme reading on how tp do everythong right.
Actually im taking out 5k to buy a hatch (Not throwing money just on the car, but for other purpose too), if im not going turbo im gonna go B series, JDM GSR or B16. and go with the NA route, but im a turbo junky so you know..

·
Registered
971 Posts
Dude with parts you get what you pay for learn to save up to get what you really want or you will be in debt with something that you don't like

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Actually im taking out 5k to buy a hatch (Not throwing money just on the car, but for other purpose too), if im not going turbo im gonna go B series, JDM GSR or B16. and go with the NA route, but im a turbo junky so you know..
Are you saying you are willing to spend $3k on a 150whp B swap; but will consider a $700 turbo kit?

Our D Street kit +Injector/pump combo+ S300 lists for less than a HMO GSR or B16 swap shipped.

·
Registered
170 Posts
with ebay cheap turbos i have found this is the best setup for them to last.

-3an feed line, good return line (no kinks, weird bends, etc...), and heat shield/ diaper (this allows the turbo to cool slowly) no heat shock to the turbo.

I drive my cheap ebay turbo daily at 20 psi with no issues after i went thru a few of them lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
trust me, and this is coming from someone who was once young and dumb as far as finances go, skip the whole idea pf using loan money to tune your car, i did that 10 years ago whe i was 19 and had no clue what i was doing, had my car all done up on a loan and forgot a bunch of key parts, like clutch, pistons, rods. things like that, needless to say my ride lasted 2 weeks and the clutch blew, and a rod snapped, guess what i was left with after that? A ton of debt, which im still paying off, lost my job cause i had no way to get there, and the car sat for 2 years in my backyard rusting out till i finally sold it to my buddy for a mere 500 bucks....

moral is, if your taking a loan for a car, buy the car, not the first one you find, dont over pay for it meaning just cause your approved for 5000 doesnt mean you gotta spend 5000, and once you get your car, take good care of it and pay the loan off first, by the time your done paying your loan off youll be better at managing money and know how to save, and on top of that youll know everything you need to know about turbo setups because you can research in the mean time, but then again just my opinion

1 - 20 of 39 Posts