Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,
I got a annoying problem in my car.
It goes like this.. Starting the car, Letting it idle. Everything seems fine until it gets to working temp, then it starts smoking like crazy, blue smoke.

Going for a small ride, the smoke clears and car runs perfect. letting it idle again, after a few minutes it starts smoking again.

I've searched the web for this problem, and find out I'm not alone in this game. Anyways, I couldn't find a definite solution for my problem.

It seems like I'm running now a -4an oil feed line into my turbo (I measured 9.8 mm outer diameter).

What are the steps I should go through? Should I replace the oil feed line to -3an? Should I put a oil restrictor to my turbo?
Maybe it's a bad turbo? I have to mention there's almost no shaft play, and the turbo pulls strong anyday.

Car is civic D16 stock engine, t3/t4 ebay turbo, oil taken feed from oil switch port.

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Add a restrictor and double check you drain line doesnt have any crazy bends

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
x3 on the drain line.

When I had this issue it was because the previous owner used a straight rubber hose bent into a 90* for the drain causing a sharp kink in the hose.

I bought a line that had a 90* bend formed in it, swapped it out and the smoke went away.

Also I'd switch to a -3AN feed line, but that's just me. At the least get a restrictor on the line at the turbo, not off the back of the block.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much guys.
I'll try to replace the oil line to -3an and check the drain.

Will update!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Had same issue on last 4ag we boosted. Rubber hose used for drain couldn't stand oil temps so it stretched and oil wasn't flowing proper

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In order to replace the line from 4an to 3an should I change also the fittings and turbo oil feed banjo?

Is it more easy to just fit a restrictor? What restrictor size should I use so the turbo won't suffer from insufficient lubrication?

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
In order to replace the line from 4an to 3an should I change also the fittings and turbo oil feed banjo?

Is it more easy to just fit a restrictor? What restrictor size should I use so the turbo won't suffer from insufficient lubrication?
you dont need to change the fitting sizes, just the line size.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts

depends on your setup.
On mines i threaded the restrictor into the turbo and then bolted the 4an line to that.

If you want to get a banjo with a build in restrictor you can do that. Remember to only get the restrictor if you are using the 4an line.

If you switch to a 3an line you might need to change the adapter at the block and the fitting on the turbo.

and i dont remember the size off hand but i beleive its 1.5mm or .065 inch
as said cant remember.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Turbo Oil Line Restrictor 4AN 04" | eBay

You could install this one like i did.. but! Make sure to port the .040 to .065 before installing it.. .040 = Ball bearing .065 = Journal bearing. This only applies to -4AN feeds. If your going to run a -3AN DO NOT run a restrictor..

I have this restrictor on my journal bearing precision turbo with a 40" -4AN and its been doing great.

The turbo used to smoke a tiny bit while the car was warming up.. installed that restrictor after opening up the hole to .065 and its never done it sense.

My tuner told me a .065 restrictors = 65psi and if you talk to most turbo manufactures they all say journal bearings like around 65psi max

I would think ordering that restrictor will be a cheaper route then replacing the line and fittings.

also post some pics of your drain line.. maybe its causing it to back up.

You could install a clear drain line and actually see what the drain line is doing also.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Attachments

·
Registered
6,365 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you guys very much for the help!

I'll update you soon!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I went to a local machine shop, and asked them to fabricate the banjo in order to make the oil nozzle smaller (0.065").

What do you guys think about the job?

The nozzle is now pretty small compared to the original ones. Is it safe for sure for using it with the turbo and won't ruin it due of oil under pressure? Maybe I'm better off enlarging the nozzle a little bit just in case..?

Original banjo vs modified:

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
OK, and another thing.
The nozzle should spray the oil, or it's OK for it to just piss it off?

I want to bench test it before installing , that's why I'm asking.

Thank for the help guys!

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
OK, and another think.
The nozzle should spray the oil, or it's OK for it to just piss it off?

I want to bench test it before installing , that's why I'm asking.

Thank for the help guys!
it should have a nice flow out. No breaks in the flow.
It should seem like your pouring out of a bottle.

vs un restricted where it would be like a water hose.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Update:

Just installed it. So far so good, the car isn't smoking even after 15-20 mins of idling.

Hope it will keep up like this, and the turbo won't fail under boost.

Thanks you all for your help, you really helped me! :bigok:

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
Thats a nice piece they machined for you. Press fit? i sure hope it doesnt get pushed out.

Either way glad to see its not smoking anymore. And to paraphrase danz, "turbos have steel oil control rings, how could leaking oil damage a steel ring?"

1 - 20 of 27 Posts