Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
94 hatch with d15b7

I just bought a kit off ebay from deep stage garage. Its a 4-2-1header to test pipe to resinator to the 4" muffler. Its got a wicked rasp at high rev. Do i need to swap out the test pipe for a cat?

Btw when i bought the car, it had stock header to straight stock pipe to a fart can. No cat and all welded.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
ebay exhaust systems have utter GARBAGE mufflers.

cut off the muffler and have a proper quality one welded on with new hangers.

Also have the guy doing this go over the flange welds and reenforce the ones relating to the "testpipe" and header point.

You could also have testpipe modified to have a short 12 or 14 inch resonator welded into its palce.

Ebay exhaust is pretty much only used for piping and flanges. Most of the people leaving them either have a nice turbo to block a lot of rasp, or simply dont mind the horrible sound

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My last hatch i had, had a stock header a cat and i put on a megan drift spec. Didnt have rasp to it at all. Sounded great. Maybe i should sell this kit and get a drift spec i guess

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,466 Posts
did you remove the silencer? I have a bbp 2.5'' exhaust to a 4''tip and it only rasp around 2500rpms

·
Registered
176 Posts
Replace your test pipe with a cat forsure, that should fix the rasp replacing just the muffler would still leave you with rasp. From my experience changing your muffler will only change your exhaust note and drone, your cat/test pipe and resonator seem to affect how raspy your car will sound.
I have a 2.25 tenrai elite ebay exhaust with a fart cannon muffler i got and it sounds surprisingly good with my oe cat on it. Its deep and loud as hell but besides that sounds great i love it. Tried it with a test pipe when i first got it and the rasp drove me insane.
I also wouldnt run the removable silencers if you care about your cars performance or want your exhaust to last.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I thought you were talking about the removable silencer in the ebay muffler, when you mentioned removing the silencer? Or where you talking about a different silencer?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,466 Posts
yes, keep the silencer in the muffler and it will cut down on the noise. also, my bbp had a 2.5 inch silencer inside the 4 inch tip, so flow was not compromised. I don't see how a silencer is going to hurt anything

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
$115 shipped FTW!

I'm getting ready to do exactly what mattliston suggested.

It's kind of fitting on the Tape-R (for most of the themes), but I don't like having a loud/annoying endurance racer. Spiral-flow incoming!

Also, the removable silencer in the eBay exhaust barely had a noticeable difference. ...so it stayed out.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I forgot to clarify, the silencer in my vibrant muffler is properly sized to match the piping so i know all quality mufflers are like that just like yours is. But The op is rockin an ebay muffler, every ebay muffler ive ever seen including my 4.5 tip tenrai muffler rock a silencer that is significantly smaller than the piping. Measuring my ebay mufflers silencer right now and its only 1.75 inches my piping is 2.25 that's a decent bottle neck,most ebay ones ive seen are like 1.5 inches too. From my experience those tiny ebay silencers kill your top end and blow muffler packing out much faster.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you dont mind loud and deep just change out the test pipe and see if you can stand it, if you still cant then try out something like magna flow oval muffler welded to that ebay piping? Although if the piping is anything bigger than 2.25 for a d15b7 its prob too big, at that point i prob would sell the exhaust but if not just mod and rock it.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
If you think you can sell teh ebay exhaust for at least $80, Id second the yonaka catback suggestion

Ive heard them in person on a very mild all motor d16 nonvtec revving to 8k and it sounded good. Could have used a bit longer resonator in my opinion though

EDIT me personally, I would probably end up buying a muffler and a resonator and having it installed, instead of dealing with hassle of selling exhaust, then waiting on other system to show up.

·
Registered
04 Subaru
105 Posts
The last ebay exhaust I bought was to replace a completely rusted out system on a 94 Ex Auto trans car. It was horrible. Loud and raspy due to the car being an auto trans also. I replace the muffler, changed out the resonator for a longer one, and added one where the test pipe was. It calmed down alot.

On my 95 I have now, I sadly spent way to much on exhaust and got a Skunk2 system. Fitment was spot on and doesn't get to raspy. It is loud though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If i can figure out how to load a sound/video clip i will. Its a sickening rasp. The exhaust isnt bad on being loud just at a certain rpm its a buzzing raspy gross sound. At first i thought it was a hanger rub so i pushed it away and revved again. Still raspy buzz

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
a flexpipe will help remove buzz if you dont have one. engine vibrations will transfer the entire length of piping at some rpms

1 - 20 of 36 Posts