Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
i went to Ebay and there a number of sellers selling rebuild/engine kits for D15b 1/2/7 engines

I have a d15b1 with 200K miles: it still runs okay but want to rebuild and do MPFI swap.

Would anyone buy these kits ; some come with ACL bearings and NPR rings.
and one seller "JIS" actually sells complete rebuilt engines.

NOTE: Money is tight and these look like they will be okay.
OEM Honda would be over $600 If i purchased all parts.

Thank you.

SAM

·
Registered
99 honda civic ex
137 Posts
yeah ACL bearings are a common bearing used among the Ds i used king bearings myself but ive seen many builds use ACLs alot go with OEM bearings though with the color match...And ive heard NPR rings are good for OEM builds but not after market i dont know why just what ive heard haha

·
Registered
90 CRX
1,054 Posts
I swear someone asked this question a few days ago. OEM MLS HG, Clevite or King Bearings (All), find some OS pistons with rings, have block bored honed and decked, head the head milled and pressure checked, cheap engine gasket set on eBay, add anything that will be desired in the future into the bottom of the engine while it is out, NAPA water pump timing kit, go ahead and change the seals in the transmission too, and Google is yo friend.

Good luck. Take lots of pics. Post lots of pics. Don't ask very many questions until you search your A off. If you don't have a (Chilton's) Manual for your car, get off the Internet, go to your auto parts store and buy it right now. Read until you get bored, make a sandwich, read some more, each your Cheetos, cause they're freakin amazing, wash hands, read some more, research more, think about questions before you post them, Google the fool out of those questions, change your mind about those questions because your searched your A off and figured it out for yourself. And no that's not a new thing, people did it for years before Al Gore invented the Internet, or was it Donald Trump. I should've searched that one. N-E-WAYS. Welcome to the D and good luck on your searching adventures. They will prove you to be a very good technical savvy guy. And will do work son.

·
Registered
1999 EJ8
1,188 Posts
just dont you the head gasket cause they are crap....buy a falpro
Or an OEM HG.

Two things NOT to be used in the eBay rebuild kit: the HG and the valve seals.

Both are notorious for failure.

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
Next time ask questions in the noob forum, not in the product review section. Felpro permatorque headgasket and viton valve stem seals. DONT use felpro valve stem seals. They are not the correct size as the intake and exhaust use different sizes.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
i used a ebay rebuild kit that came with the pistons and everything....worked great....3years and atleast 50k hardmiles, 200+ passes at the track, before she spit a rod after almost a year of boost.....

worked great....i think i paid like 350 or something several years ago.....went from using 2quarts of 20w50 a week....to none....not a single drop or 5w30 burned...it was great :)

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
rep for you didnt know about the valve seals now i wont use them :TU:
No issues with either the HG's or valve stem seals here...one LSVTEC, one GSR, one LS, and another LS.

·
1.8 nawz powa
6,579 Posts
Bearings and rings seem to be ok, headgaskets are ok, but the valve seals and gaskets suck. Put valve seals on a mint y8 head when I had it rebuilt, and they leaked after 5k, and all the other gaskets like oil pan and vc leak bad, I wouldnt get them again. The ones from Advanced or Autozone are good though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for suggestions and comments.
i just wished there was Company that had all decent parts for a low price
(besides Expensive Honda OEM, who is there? :uh:) .
My uncle / mechanic said that Even expensive kits may Not provide Honda OEM quality.

Looks like mix and match parts for me.

:pedo:
Thanks!

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
The last gsr I rebuilt I used all Felpro gaskets which I ordered from Rock Auto. Ordered the Upper and Lower gasket set separately as it was cheapest this way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts