Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
EM1, EJ1, EJ1
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright boys, not to sound like a broken record. However my team and I have a LeMons race car to build over the winter and I am wondering if there is any clutches on eBay that someone would suggest. I need real data on how they act and reliability issues that you may have experienced.

Yes, I understand that eBay parts are not known for their reliability and a proper clutch should be installed. However this is a LeMons car we're talking about. We have a very limited budget and eBay clutches are the only thing within that budget.

Since it's race car, I am probably going to opt for an unsprung to eliminate the typical clutch damping spring failure that plagues most Hondas on track. And that includes reputable manufacturers like ACT and Exedy. Last thing I have happen is have a spring break and lodge itself in between the disk and flywheel.

If I am able to locate a cheap lightweight flywheel used, I will be running one. Had dibs on a Fidanza new for $80 but the guy sold it out from under me.

Any information pertaining to a "quality" eBay product would be a great help!

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
unless you are making a ton more power a stock replacement is all ya need. I actually have a luk oem replacement with very low miles that was used in a crx used for endurance racing (they started as a lemon car), and am curently using an unknown miles used exedy oem replacement clutch with no issues on a high compression d16. I would stay away from the ebay only brands...

·
Registered
EM1, EJ1, EJ1
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Action made me a solid organic clutch for $100 shipped. Give them a shout.
Might have to do that. I was hoping to have a slightly quicker action than OEM, not so much higher torque rating. But the solid disk is probably the most important factor in my eyes.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I linked a couple puc clutches kits in your other thread, honestly though I think for your needs a light flywheel, stock replacement pressure plate and full face organic disk with no marcel spring and a fixed unsprung hub would be best. Running an aggressive friction material on cheap hardware is just asking for trouble.

I would find one of those cheap ebay 8lb flywheel/clutch kits with an organic disk and email them and ask how much it would cost for the same kit with an organic disk, a fixed hub and no marcel spring. I have had surprisingly good luck and fairly amazing customer service experiences with asking for custom stuff on ebay, and it cant hurt to try.

Personally I dont see the point of sprung hubs. I run a 6 puc kevlar fixed hub with a 7lb flywheel in my daily and love it, even with my ghetto hydro conversion it still rocks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts