Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
5spd EF Civic Si
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any trouble with ebay cam gears? Bisimoto and Skunk2 adjustable cam gears like $150+ but there are some on ebay for like $30. Would it really make the $100+ difference getting a cheaper ebay cam gear than going with bisimoto or skunk2? I would probably stick with getting either a Bisimoto 1.2 cam or a Skunk2 Stage 2 cam with my D16A6.

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
Don't dork around with cam gears, golden eagle or oem. Cam gears are kind of important. So your you really, REALLY trust the questionable metal used in the cheapknock off's then go ahead.

Also, ebay is a Web site, not a brand.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts

Even on my Junk2 gears, i had to replace the bolts, put them in from the backside, then use locking nuts on them just to be on the safe side. This pic was when it was being built, not after the tune.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Sorry, but if you think a lot of the 'reputable' manufacturers aren't using the same metals (or being made in the same places) as the ebay companies.... I'm not sure what to tell you.

That said, the point on the hardware is valid.

Moving along... as if I'm not already going to get flamed enough... I like the bisi cam gear design due to the serrations between the mating surfaces. It gives me a better feeling of confidence. Each of the spokes has a solid amount of material as well. Too bad they couldn't get the markings correctly *rollseyes*

I've been meaning to design and produce a similar cam gear for some time.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
815 Posts
They're probably made in China from the same material, but the QC and corporate accountability of a failed product stands for something. Also companies like skunk 2 seemed to really care about trying to improve their products and they would care a lot more about their reputation than a random eBay seller (who could be selling the parts that didn't make it through QC for all we know)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,661 Posts
Junk 2 care about their products?

I to love the Evolution design cam gear Bisi used, I even voted on the color of them.

Purple, Pink, and Bronze were the colors.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts

I to love the Evolution design cam gear Bisi used, I even voted on the color of them.

Purple, Pink, and Bronze were the colors.
I lol'd too :sorcerer:

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
ohh the days of signal puke and whatever the other guys name was... and the bounty..lol

yeaa, junk2 really do care! lmao

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
815 Posts
I remember when they first brought out their upper control arms with the adjustable ball joint, that's gone through a few iterations now.

Customer feedback was that the the balljoint would wear prematurely and the adjustment had a knack of coming loose. The designs changed since then, and the ball joints themselves seem to be standing the test of time, and the way the adjustment is secured appears to be doing the job.

Not saying they're the best on the market, but companys who don't care about their reputation wouldn't invest the time and money in continuing product development IMO.

·
Registered
CL9 and ED7
6 Posts
I have it all began with a K-series. There's no such excitement with the gears but the choice on how many degrees can be adjusted by ECU :D. Now I started to build D15B and has paid attention to this issue. The experience of many Honda forums says that breaks everything. I was looking for gear a very long time. Finally bought new discontinued bisimoto cam gear. I advise you not to save on the important things. We'll have to pay for that mistake later.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
They're probably made in China from the same material, but the QC and corporate accountability of a failed product stands for something. Also companies like skunk 2 seemed to really care about trying to improve their products and they would care a lot more about their reputation than a random eBay seller (who could be selling the parts that didn't make it through QC for all we know)
True-ish. A lot of companies care about their reputation enough to knock-out the R&D phase correctly -- that said, most of this R&D is stolen by the "eBay companies" and just copied exactly. These cheap overseas companies are not designing anything in-house, they're just copying.

Also -- if you think any reputable name-brand company going to help you out when their product fails and damages your motor -- you're crazy. Best you'll see is a refund from them for the product...and my experience is the overseas companies are far better at giving out refunds. Hell, I'm seeing the overseas companies caring a lot more about their reputation nowadays, even through mediums like eBay.

·
Registered
CL9 and ED7
6 Posts
True-ish. A lot of companies care about their reputation enough to knock-out the R&D phase correctly -- that said, most of this R&D is stolen by the "eBay companies" and just copied exactly. These cheap overseas companies are not designing anything in-house, they're just copying.

Also -- if you think any reputable name-brand company going to help you out when their product fails and damages your motor -- you're crazy. Best you'll see is a refund from them for the product...and my experience is the overseas companies are far better at giving out refunds. Hell, I'm seeing the overseas companies caring a lot more about their reputation nowadays, even through mediums like eBay.
Nowadays, it is still on the conscience of the companies themselves. I think they do not depend on the local or foreign. On bisimoto complain that poor customer support, but the product quality is good. Skunk2 or ARP quickly responded to my emails.

It depends on the leaders and their attitude to their work, or simply on their mood... every day a new... :)

·
Registered
1999 Acura EL
20 Posts
Personally, products like shift knobs or other cosmetic pieces are fine to purchase off ebay, since quality wont have a negative impact on the drive train of the car. A factory cam is precisely balanced since an improperly balanced camshaft can wreck havoc. Same goes for the harmonic balancer. There are reasons it is so heavy (cost savings + precisely balanced). I would put some extra dollars down since it will help you in the long run. I am at 280,000, still running strong, zero oil consumption. Good luck!!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,661 Posts
Personally, products like shift knobs or other cosmetic pieces are fine to purchase off ebay, since quality wont have a negative impact on the drive train of the car. A factory cam is precisely balanced since an improperly balanced camshaft can wreck havoc. Same goes for the harmonic balancer. There are reasons it is so heavy (cost savings + precisely balanced). I would put some extra dollars down since it will help you in the long run. I am at 280,000, still running strong, zero oil consumption. Good luck!!
Factory cam is balanced????

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
I remember when they first brought out their upper control arms with the adjustable ball joint, that's gone through a few iterations now.

Customer feedback was that the the balljoint would wear prematurely and the adjustment had a knack of coming loose. The designs changed since then, and the ball joints themselves seem to be standing the test of time, and the way the adjustment is secured appears to be doing the job.

Not saying they're the best on the market, but companys who don't care about their reputation wouldn't invest the time and money in continuing product development IMO.
If this were the case, they wouldve found the issue early on and not market it and have the general public (their customers) do the real world testing costing them tire wear, alignment issues, and probably wear on other front end components. SO in all actuality, they saved time and money.

Remember the Junk2 K series cam gear where the chains were jumping causing catastrophic damage..? Kids were using their products, kiling the engine, and S2 blamed it on user error. Same with Bseries cam gear bolts which would strip, jump time, bend valves. HEnce why I just added my own hardware.

All of a sudden they came up with a solution.

All you noobs out there have decades of history to learn about before you can give advice and understand how these companies work (and worked)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,661 Posts
If this were the case, they wouldve found the issue early on and not market it and have the general public (their customers) do the real world testing costing them tire wear, alignment issues, and probably wear on other front end components. SO in all actuality, they saved time and money.
Or they would have offered the replacement/upgraded ball joints at cost for those with proof of purchase of the early design. Nope, have to pay full price, not even dealer discount price + shipping.

I contacted a well known Skunk2 employee through a different channel and he agreed with me about the replacements, but was out of his control.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts